• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Could I Home Khan?

mit

Mama Doe
NO! :cry: That has been the question on my mind for a while now.

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=6717

I AM IN LOVE WITH HIM!!!!!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

I love him sooooo much i cried this evening at the fact that i cant have him due to lack of room. :cry: It would i be cruel to keep him in a thisle hall hutch? Right? What size hutch would i need to have to house him? Could i bond him with my smaller buns? Im really hoping there is SOME light at the end of the tunnel, but not keeping my hopes up!

m
xx

he is reserved anyway... :D but you are definately right giant breeds are NOT hutch bunnies and IMO you would be doing that bunny a injustice keeping him in a hutch, i had a conti come in in a four foot hutch she could NOT move.. you wouldnt put a small dog in a hutch nor a cat so why a rgiant rabbit?? and these animals are often bigger and MUCH heavier than both! he has a weak chect so ideally needs to be a house bunny...

That settles that then. :cry:

I just needed someone to tell me i couldn't have him. The dreaming can stop now. :cry:

m
xx

mit said:
That settles that then. :cry:

I just needed someone to tell me i couldn't have him. The dreaming can stop now. :cry:

m
xx

i would mate :D have you ever seen a giant in the flesh? they are honestly too big for hutches especially double deckers, actually i have never seen a hutch that is big enough to accomodate a giant properly...thats why i cringe at the thought of a certain pet shop chain starting to sell them :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .

bunnylove said:
mit said:
The dreaming can stop now. :cry:

m
xx

i would mate :D

Cheers, Thanks a lot!

I dont you understod how much i wanted to home this bun. Its was only a few questions i needed answering, i knew a thistle hall would be too small. Thats way i asked what size hutch would be good. I might be just very over senative at the moment but ive been kinda ment to feel Very Very Very Small at this moment in time by the way you have spoken to me. The Smiles didnt help. :cry:

m
xx

ps. Sorry.

Awww Mit! You shouldn't feel small... you even said you thought it was too small ;) No harm in just getting that clarified. I for one have no idea how big giants are when fully grown :shock:

I'm sure you would have found a way to give him a BRILL home if he wasn't already reserved. Sending you lots of hugs... hope you're feeling better soon hun xx

i wasnt trying to make you feel small, just to be realsitic, there are plenty of things i want.... a big house, flash car but it is unrealistic for me to have those things... and like i touched a nerve with you, you also touched a nerve with me being part of a rescue and seeing what humans do to animals just for the sake of wanting animals is not good you have to know you can provide what they need, like i mentioned when you see a giant come in that has been living in a four foot hutch and NOT being able to even sit up :cry: :cry: "just because someone wanted it is wrong"..

i didnt mean to offend you just trying to let you know that a hutch that size is in no way adiquate for a giant but then NO hutch is

xEMMAx said:
Awww Mit! You shouldn't feel small... you even said you thought it was too small ;) No harm in just getting that clarified. I for one have no idea how big giants are when fully grown :shock:

I'm sure you would have found a way to give him a BRILL home if he wasn't already reserved. Sending you lots of hugs... hope you're feeling better soon hun xx

Thanks Em. Just feelin tried and a bit sensative at the moment.

m
xx

I would say for two giants you'd need a good sized shed and attached big run, how much space in your garden do you have? I've got my buns in one half of a big shed and there would be enough space in that for two giants. You'll get them one day :D

Awww mit, dont take it to heart!
You make me laugh (in a nice way), your quick to tell people they are too sensitive but you are one of the seamingly most sensitive people I 'know' :D {{hugs to you}} :wink:

bunnylove said:
i wasnt trying to make you feel small, just to be realsitic, there are plenty of things i want.... a big house, flash car but it is unrealistic for me to have those things... and like i touched a nerve with you

Slow down there matie! You saying that i am being unrealistic in wanting to home a Giant Rabbit. Cause i really hope not!

bunnylove said:
you also touched a nerve with me being part of a rescue and seeing what humans do to animals just for the sake of wanting animals is not good you have to know you can provide what they need, like i mentioned when you see a giant come in that has been living in a four foot hutch and NOT being able to even sit up :cry: :cry: "just because someone wanted it is wrong"..

i didnt mean to offend you just trying to let you know that a hutch that size is in no way adiquate for a giant but then NO hutch is

Yes, i help out at ARC and Yes i have seen the worst conditions rabbits have lived in. But i just dont understand i you just stopped reading my post after i mentioned Thistle Hall. I knew it would be too small, i was just confirming. And also i asked about what size hutch he would need. 8ft x 3ft x 3ft with a run??

m
xx

bizzy_vicki said:
Awww mit, dont take it to heart!
You make me laugh (in a nice way), your quick to tell people they are too sensitive but you are one of the seamingly most sensitive people I 'know' :D {{hugs to you}} :wink:

Am I??? I dont usally give a sh*t about what people say about me. When i get gunned for someting i have good intensions for, ie. taking the 3 baby neaths of the you know who breeder and someone has a go at me for it, i wont stand for that.

m
xx

Oh dear Mit, sorry you are feeling a bit over sensitive at the moment :cry: But I have to say you have accused Eve of stopping reading once she saw the words 'thistle hall'...in fact if you re-read her posts in an informative, rather than an accusatory tone, you will see that she never once referred to thistle hall, simply to the fact that she has never seen ANY hutch big enough for a giant bun.

If you're considering hutches, I have to say I agree with Eve - it's impractical and not fair on the rabbit to keep one in a hutch; however if you have the time, space and money to keep one as a free range bunny in a huge shed/run or houserabbit, then great :thumb:

Dont be offended Mit, people are just trying to help you with best intentions :)

If you could have him as a house bun that would be fab :thumb:

Or alternatively, a shed would be good. At uni in the animal unit there were 4 continental giants living in a huge enclosure with lots of other buns, including teeny lion heads, so there's no reason why he couldnt live in a shed with your current buns.

It used to really make me laugh at uni as one of the giants had formed a great friendship with a teeny bun and they were both identical in apperance- albino, the little one looked like a little mini baby following her around :lol:

AlisonA said:
Oh dear Mit, sorry you are feeling a bit over sensitive at the moment :cry: But I have to say you have accused Eve of stopping reading once she saw the words 'thistle hall'...in fact if you re-read her posts in an informative, rather than an accusatory tone, you will see that she never once referred to thistle hall, simply to the fact that she has never seen ANY hutch big enough for a giant bun.

I guess your right mate, but it was the way she spoke to me that was that ticked me off.

Anyways. Life goes on. I hope Khan has the BEST Life he could have in his new forever home. :D

m
xx

Mit Khan is gorgeous and I'm sure another beautiful giant will be in need of a home soon..along with a friend of course...

..however I'd agree with whats already been said..A shed is the best option for bunnies this size...even that huge double decker has its drawbacks....its 2 ft high each story....I would prefer higher for a giant...also a ramp that narrow would be easy for a big bun to fall off and the bigger the bun the harder they fall.....

so start plannning where you are going to put your new shed and we'll all keep a look out for a nice pair ( :shock: :lol: ) of giants for you! :D

honeybunny said:
Mit Khan is gorgeous and I'm sure another beautiful giant will be in need of a home soon..along with a friend of course...

..however I'd agree with whats already been said..A shed is the best option for bunnies this size...even that huge double decker has its drawbacks....its 2 ft high each story....I would prefer higher for a giant...also a ramp that narrow would be easy for a big bun to fall off and the bigger the bun the harder they fall.....

so start plannning where you are going to put your new shed and we'll all keep a look out for a nice pair ( :shock: :lol: ) of giants for you! :D

ThanX So Much! What kinda of same do they need, measurement. So i can look for a shed.

m
xx

As with all animals the bigger the better so decide where you could put a shed and how much space you can give up..remember they will need a secure run too!...Then start searching...I would say an 8 ft by 4 ft..the smallest for a pair of giants..and you would need to add a wooden shelf to give more floor space, different levels.....the easiest way to do this is to build a strong wooden box..open at the front then they have a shelf and a hide all in one! Ramps are not always good ideas as they take up so much of the floor space, so in a double decker with a large ramp how much floor space have bunnies actually got on the lower level? :?
(Waiting for pics of Mits shed!! :lol: :lol: )

Back