• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Quick help pls, Treacle Tart to vets-UPDATE Thurs-better

KerinTravis

Mama Doe
:? Last night Treacle was not v interested in her tea, she had a bit of carrot and a nibble at a few other things, then went and sat in a corner and nibbled at some hay. She's done this before, and been OK after a couple of hours, so I thought I'd leave her as she'd eaten a little.

This morning she would not touch her pellets, but would eat her pineapple and papaya tablet - so I gave her 2, thinking maybe she had a slight stomach blockage as she's so fluffy. I managed to tempt her with a sprig or 2 of parsley. And gave her some big cuddles and belly rubs - although nothing felt out of the ordinary.

I checked on them by calling my dad at lunch and he said all the food I'd left had gone and that she was snuggled up with Travis. I'm guessing Travis ate the food!!!

Tonight I've made a vets appointment as I've seen her go to the loo to pee, but not any poops, just some smelly ceacatrophs and all she's been tempted by are a few sprigs of parsley.

As she has produced ceacatrophs, does this mean she doesn't have a blockage? Again, her belly feels OK to me, no hardness or gurling.

Only thing I can think of other than that is her teeth. :roll: Her and Travis can be dental buddies if that's the case!?

She's obv not right as Travis hasn't left her side, I'm guessing the vets will just give her a gut stimulant and something to perk her up?

Any Help? :shock:

Thanks Laura, teeth aren't on my wishlist, but it might be.... Thing is, I've not seen any actual poops yet either, just ceacatrophs........ Such a pain!!! She's moping about, but every so often will perk up a little again, I just wish they could talk!!!

Aww, what a nightmare :(

The fact that she is leaving her cae.. poops and not eating, does instantly suggest teeth :? What time is the vets?

:roll: :? I could've done that myself for £30!????

Anyways, my usual lovely bunny vet is away this week, so I had to see another vet. He is a little, well old fashioned I guess. :wink: He felt her tummy, throat etc, and agreed with me - no sign of any blockage etc. He looked at her bottom, but didn't take her temperature. :? He checked her front teeth, but not her back, saying that as she was actually refusing food, and not trying to eat but unable to, he couldn't see that it would be her teeth :evil:

Failing all of this, and coming to the conclusion that he had no idea what was wrong, he chose good old fashioned Baytril!? :roll: So she's had 0.6ml 5% Baytril, and 2ml 0.5 x Metoclopramide injection too.

If she's no better by morning, I'm to take her back so they can do some blood tests?! - Again, not giving me any idea as to why???? - or even mentioning giving her some form of recovery food etc. (I have some tho!!).

And even if she is better, I'm to still take her back tomorrow as they will need to give me/her something to help her "run her course"????? Whatever the **** that means. :x

I feel like all they want is for me to give them my money for no real reason??? Sods Law says this would happen when my usual brilliant vet is away. I don't think he realised how often I go to them with Travis and his teeth etc. And I also don't think he was paying any attention to anything that I had to say :x He asked me how long she'd been with Travis and if they got on OK (I'd brought them to the vets together as always, she's usually the one sat waiting to nurse him when he has his dentals!!!- All the nurses there know these two!!!!??)

A couple of years ago, Travis had something similar. They took him in, checked his belly, temperature, teeth (front and back), and then decided to monitor him for a while, they gave him a stimulant, kept him in a nice warm pen that was big enough for them to get him to move about in, and offered him dandelion leaves until he took them, and then looked after him until I could pick him up. He then had 2 free followup checkups. I cant believe this is the same vets........ I'm so miffed. And I think their consultation fees have gone up with the 5% inflation too?!?!?!

Rant Over!!!!

PS, my lil' tart has still not perked up....... Is there anything else I could try myself???? :?

Did they not give a painkiller? :?

Could you try some Infacol too? Won't hurt, and might help if Treacle is a bit bloated from not eating. Also make sure she moves around lots, to try and get her tummy moving. Good luck! I am sending pooing vibes your way.

Did she have any pain relief?

Baytril for.......???????????????????...... :roll: :roll:

I would start some syringe feeds

10ml at first, then some tummy rubs. Also try to ensure she is nice and warm. Is she an indoor Bun? If not I would bring both her and Travis indoors.
I would repeat the 10ml after an hour and continue hourly for as long as you can or until she eats on her own.

Hope she feels better very soon

Thanks guys, yes they're both indoors, (I can't bear to have them away from me!!).

Baytrill?????- yup, that was my thought too :roll:

I wasn't sure about the Infacol, I know it can't hurt, but because I couldn't find any obvious gurlging, bulging etc. I didn't know if I ought to. I have some critical care still, so I'll give her some of that. And pop out for some baby food/more herbs and tempting foods. My vet suggested grapes????!!!! I don't think so!! I might get some pineapple bits, that would be good for her if there's anything to break down.

She's had a little drink too.... :)

KerinTravis said:
Thanks guys, yes they're both indoors, (I can't bear to have them away from me!!).

Baytrill?????- yup, that was my thought too :roll:

I wasn't sure about the Infacol, I know it can't hurt, but because I couldn't find any obvious gurlging, bulging etc. I didn't know if I ought to. I have some critical care still, so I'll give her some of that. And pop out for some baby food/more herbs and tempting foods. My vet suggested grapes????!!!! I don't think so!! I might get some pineapple bits, that would be good for her if there's anything to break down.

She's had a little drink too.... :)

Sounds like that Vet could do with attending a Course on Bunnies.... :roll:

Critical Care is the best thing to get into her as it has the essential fibre.
Infacol wont hurt. I would avoid sugary foods like....GRAPES.... :roll:

Janex

OK, will try critical care, I was difinately going to avoid the grapes!! - she doesn't even like them anyway!! :roll:

Will keep you posted, going to clean out their litter tray too so's I can keep an eye out for any poops!! :shock:

Thank You!!!! :)

Oh gosh how frustrating, hope she feels better soon. Although it does sound like this vet could be more rabbit savvy, at least he has given her some metaclopromide so hopefully that should help things to start moving again. I would suggest popping along to see your usual vet next week (I guess she'll need to go anyway to have a proper examination), and explain your concerns to him. As they all consult individually he might not be aware that this vet isn't very rabbit savvy and might appreciate you telling him your concerns.

Good luck, hope Treacle starts to pick up very soon xxxx

Well we've had approx 12ml of Critical Care - She was really lapping it up and moving her head forward everytime I pulled the syringe away!! :p

I've given her 1ml of Infacol, and for desert, she had 2ml of orgnic Banana and passion fruit baby food. :D

Still can't tempt her with any other food - Travis on the other hand is loving the fact that there's so much free food about!?? :roll:

She's sitting in her tunnel again now, I'll give her some more critical care before I go to bed. I can't see her having any veg tonight as there's parsley and watercress and pineapple out, but she's not interested.

I've emptied their litter trays so I can monitor that too. If she's still not eating tomorrow then I guess it's back to the vets. :? First thing will be to check her back teeth though before I start forking out for blood tests?! :roll:

Morning All??!!

Well, tre had about 2 pellets this morning, but nothing else. There appears to be some small poops in their litter trays. I've given her some more critical care. But this morning she didn't seem to be as interested in lapping it up like she was last night, so could she have maybe eaten something in the night? :?

She's had a few sprigs of parsley, her pineapple and papaya tablet (and Travis gave her his too!!!! bless!) and a nibble at some hay.

After I'd given her the critical care, she was moving around and investigating things - to the extent that my lazy princess usually does!? :roll: and generally appeared to be quite bright. So now, I don't know whether to take her back to the vets this morning, or wait until this evening, as it stresses her out a lot. :?

Decisions, decisions.......

if there is improvement, there is no reason to visit the vet daily. As long as your bunny has 5 - 6 meal of 5 cc baby food every 24 hr., or the equivalent, like your critical care, that take care of her diet, and water of course.

From that pt. on, you just observer her improvement, make sure she is keep indoor and keep her warm at all time

I think she should be seen by a Vet again as it sounds like her gut motility is still compromised and she will need more metoclopromide.
Stress of travelling can exacerbate Stasis. Can you request a home visit from your Vet?

Janex

Back