• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor setups - reducing noise

bizzy_vicki

Mama Doe
For all those with buns indoors in dog crates, is there a way to reduce the noise?! Flower is so noisy! when she's binkying around overnight it makes a fair racket but then she stomps every early morning too! While I dont mind so much as I'm awake a lot anyway, I'm sure my neighbours will *eek*, its honestly that loud they must hear her! (she's in my bedroom)
I've put a thinck layer of newspaper under the metal tray but thats not working very well, shall I just take the tray out? I didnt really want to as it contains mess nicely but maybe I'l lhave too :roll: Any ideas guys?

is she quite good at using a litter tray? You could put carpet on top of the tray, then newspaper on top of that

oh i forgot to say, i use carpet in my crate and then put a plastic mat over the top so its easier to clean if there are any accidents (one of those carpet protectors cut down to size.)

Try putting carpet or polstyrene between the bars and base, newspaper probably isn't think enough :)

i had the same problem with betty and i used to put 2 towels under the base - i lived in a first floor flat at the time and it must have worked because i never had any complaints and she was a very noisy bunny

im having this problem at the moment as both my buns are good at using the litter tray i was thinking i might take out the metal tray and just use towel, thick newspaper, then fleece or vetbed as the flooring. i think i might try the above methods first (d'oh why didnt i think of putting something under the tray) it doesnt help that my metal tray is slightly wonky so has a see-saw effect to it :roll: :lol:

I have a plastic tray in mine that doesn't quite fit properly so it is raised in the middle (If you see what i mean) which acts like a drum when the buns bounce down to it - they also used to have their crate on a wooden floor, but i've put carpet between it and the crate which helps a lot. I might put carpet on the inside if egg ever stops going 'just outside' the litter tray :roll: :lol:

I'm having this problem too :roll: I have two crates stacked in my bedroom. The two in the bottom one are fine, really quiet, they have lived in there for years, free range all day just shut in at night as I don't appreciate hearing my books being chewed while I am trying to sleep :roll:
But now, instead of piggies in the top crate, Blue and Cleo are in there. She digs and scampers (not a very dignified thing to do considering her age :roll: ) and humps poor Blue (even less dignified especially as he is a little Nethie and completely disappears under her while she is doing it :roll: :roll: :roll: ) and sets the crates rattling and rolling. The underbuns must wonder what is going on! Needless to say I am not getting much sleep :? I need to put these two somewhere else, but Blue isn't up to going outside :cry: :?

Niamh was a nightmare in my bedroom, I used to put an old blanket under the base and lots of vet bed inside to dull the stamping

Bella was on her own for a few months and used to stomp quite a bit at night - sounded like someone was breaking in! It's not so bad now that there are two of them - she gets less spooked. Only get woken occasionally. They are in an indoor 2 storey hutch - tons of hay and newspaper deadens the sound a bit.

I have this problem too. I have used a pieve of hardboard with some ceramic floor tiles stuck to it and cut to size to fit inside the metal tray. This deadens the noise as the tiles are quite heavy and also gives them a non slip surface as they slide around alot on the metal tray.

Back