• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone else with an Agraphobic Rabbit?

bunnycath

Warren Scout
This is Treacle on one of her rare days outside

97e7861f.jpg

I am convinced she is an agraphobic rabbit. She lives in my garage with 3 other bunnies, they have access all day to the garden. The 3 boys spend every hour god sends playing in the garden. Treacle on the other hand spends her day running around the garage and never goes out. If you take her outside she goes running straight back into the garage. The only way to keep her outside is to lock her out, and even then she sits on the step waiting for me to open it again.

I'm hoping its just a winter thing. Anyone else have the same problem?

Sometimes the rescue buns are nervous of the outside when they first arrive..but they usually get used to it quite quickly.

How's Toby doing?

Niamh used to be like that but her husbun loved it outside and she seemed to get over it with his help :D

I've had Treacle for nearly 2 years and she was a rescue bunny. She used to spend loads of time in the garden at my old house (but not when it was raining) but since we've moved and now have a garden 3 times larger she barely sets foot outside.

bunnycath said:
I've had Treacle for nearly 2 years and she was a rescue bunny. She used to spend loads of time in the garden at my old house (but not when it was raining) but since we've moved and now have a garden 3 times larger she barely sets foot outside.

Is the extra space just tooooooo scary for her? Perhaps you could section a bit of the garden off the garage like a run so she can pop in and out safely??

Tried making her a small section and she still ran back into the garage.
Tried putting her into a run and she stomped her feet and went off her food.
Now I just leave her to her own devices, but once a week I lock her out in the garden for 1 hour, just to try and get her eat some grass.

She's healthy enough, I just want to see her playing out with the others.

aspen is a bit like that but indoors bless her!
she has the run of the bunny house along with everyone else, but she spends most of her time either in the crate that holds their litter trays, or in the bread basket under the shelf :roll:
i occasionally see her moving from one to the other, and today i found her sitting in the hay rack :lol: i think she fancied a change of scene :lol:
when she goes out into the run however, she is fine! i honestly think she would prefer living outside, but until i can find a hutch and run combo big enough for 5 buns, she's going to have to out up with it!

What is your garden like? Are there lots of good hiding spots? Maybe you just need to toss a bunch of cardboard boxes out there for her to hide in.

I must admit I'd be inclined to think that locking her out once a week will just reinforce her belief that the garden is something to be afraid of. If you want to get her to eat grass, it might be better to pick some for her or grow some in a little container. Maybe over time she will remember that grass is delicious and will want to head out to graze with the boys. I don't think I'd force her out if she doesn't want to as I think it's more likely to make her even more scared. Weird how she was ok at your other house but won't go outside here though, isn't it :?

a few ideas...

How old is she? If she's older then it's possible that her eye sight or hearing are not as good as they were so going out in the open is more of a threat for her. She may feel safer in the shed.

Rabbits like to know that they have an escape route so if something threatens them then they can get inside. Having periods outside when she can't get back to her warren might be making her more nervous although I can see why you've tried that.

It might help to extend the shed outside. For example put a big cardboard box right in the door way so she can go into the box which is technically outside but under cover. That will help get her used to going through the doorway. You could try putting the food bowls in the box. Then gradually move the box further outside so there is a gap between door and box. Then add more boxes so she can go further without having to get to far from cover.

Hi Cath,
Tamsin could probably be right regards her eyesight, as she had that paralysis hadn't she. Give hwer a big snuggle from me and hope to see her soon.
Love
Kayxx

Treacle's eye sight is OK, on her last check up the vet looked at them, as he's kept a very close "eye" on her since she tried to hang herself when she was a wee bairn.
There's no sign of cataracts or scanning et al.

She's just awkward I think....either that or she only likes to play out when the temperature is hot hot hot..... (she use to like sun bathing in the extreme heat).

Back