• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD Jab and Limping

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
I was just wondering why vets do not warn you that the VHD jab can cause limping?

Rowan had his jab friday and was limping all day yesterday. I had a bit of a panic so did a search on here and discovered it can cause a limp so decided to wait, following the advice on the thread I found and he is fine today.

The emergency surgery is not held at my normal vets so it could have been a very costly mistake as at first i thought he had broken something. Perhaps they would have asked the question on the phone anyway, but I do think they should at least mention it when the jab is given, even if it is not that common.

I guess if they went through every side affect they would be there for a while... but I gues something as common as the limp people should be made aware of.

Rudy got it after his vacc :( and I informed the vet on my next visit.

I've never heard of that, surely they give it in the neck, do you know why it causes limping?

I'm glad he's ok now, what a worry

kayjay said:
I've never heard of that, surely they give it in the neck, do you know why it causes limping?

I'm glad he's ok now, what a worry

I think its something to do with hitting a nerve? The thread I found by Jane explained it, but typically cant find it again now.

Hes ok now thank you xx

Mandy I can't believe it!! My dad took Charlie for his VHD jab on Friday and yesterday we noticed that he was limping - his front right leg. He was still digging and walking on it, just holding it up sometimes. We thought he had done something running up and down the ramp in his hutch - he goes crazy sometimes!! We were going to wait until tomorrow and if it was no better take him to the vet. They never told us anything about this and come to think of it Florence has a similar problem but after a day it passed. The other buns were fine though. Off to read that thread. Thanks for posting this!!

It was Rowans front right leg too! He did give me a fright.

Its lucky theres such knowledgable people on here, as I didnt connect it to the jab at all- i just did a search on 'limping' and it come up with a few threads linking it to the VHD jab.

At first I thought, like you he had jumped awkwardly or something- he was still running round as normal but just holding his paw up. Audrey was fine after her jab so I really had no knowledge this could happen.

I think I may make the vet aware of it. Hope Charlie is ok now x

Back