• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

trip to vets today

krista

Young Bun
I had to take Dolly, one of my three agouti sisters to the vets this morning.
They live in a converted shed in the garden and all have been spayed, they been together since birth. Anyway let them into their run this morning and everything was fine, but when I went back about an hour later there was a pool of blood in the shed. I went into check what had happened and Dolly had a flap of skin hanging off her neck, she had obviously been bitten by one of the others. She has spent all day at the vets, she has ahd her back teeth filed as well as she has trouble with them every few months, The vet has also found a tumor in her tongue and says she wont' be able to operate on it. she doesn't know what it is or wether it will get bigger so we will have to keep a check on it and see what happens. Now I don't know what to do, should I try putting her back in with the others after she is better and risk it happening again ?
She may not have a lot of time left if this tumor grows so I don't think it is fair to try to pair her up with a new bunny !! I have got her indoors tonight in an indoor kennel as the vet said to keep her warm, I have got a spare hutch for her to go in back outside but am worried she will be lonely. I can't keep her indoors as she is semi-wild and is very stressed by all the noise and stuff indoors and hates it. Any ideas anyone ?

Krista :cry: :( :(

Oh Dear :cry:

Are you sure it was a Bunny fight? Could she have caught herself on something and torn the flesh as she pulled away?
Were the Bunnies behaving differently toward her? Could it have been a Rat in the shed?

If it was a Bunny fight it may be because the others sense that there is 'something wrong with her' (tumour on tongue) I would not risk putting her back with the others if it was one of them who caused such a serious injury :cry:

Could you construct an enclosure for Dolly in the shed so she can still see and smell the others but is protected from them?

Hope her wound soon heals poor Bun :cry:

Janex

dolly

I did think maybe she had hurt herself some other way, but I can't think how, sometimes when I let my other bunnies out for a run in the garden, the three in the shed go a bit mad and run after each other and I have found a few clumps of hair in there from time to time, so I think maybe one of the others just got hold of her. She has always seemed to be a slight outsider from when I got them because she has always has bad teeth and seemed a bit weaker than the other two.

I can put her in a run next to the other two, I may just have to do that.
I think I will have to get her back outside as soon as possible because she hasn't moved from the spot since she came home from the vets, she is terrified !! :(

I think if this lump does get any bigger the kindest thing to do will be to put her to sleep, if she was a different rabbit I would just have her as a houserabbit.

Back