• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Is this ok?...

Gem81

Warren Scout
Carmel lives outdoors, I think she likes the cold seeing as she doesn't use her bedroom and stays at the front of the hutch after having pushed all the straw away and lying only on newspaper! I sometimes bring her in the house so she can have a run around and cuddles, the house isn't boiling, but the heating is on and it's obviously warmer than outside. She doesn't seem bothered being in the house, she's quite happy. What I'm wanting to know is, is it ok to do this, bringing her in from the cold, then putting her back out in the cold? She's not in for very long.

I don't have to do this, she has a huge run outside so gets plenty exercise, I just like having her in the house sometimes for a bit more interaction.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Gem

yes i think thats fine, I believe it only causes problems if they're in for a long time then put out again!

I think she likes the cold seeing as she doesn't use her bedroom and stays at the front of the hutch after having pushed all the straw away and lying only on newspaper

Malibu does that :roll:

Mine come in every night for cuddles before bed and then go back outside. I bring Trip and Scarlett in for about an hour after they have been playing in the garden, and malibu comes in and out using the catflap when she is out. I was a bit worried about this too!

me too! When they have ben coming in I have been turing off the heating and opening the windows so its not too much of a temprature change when they go back outside. My brothers will be pleased when I leave the heating on tonight :D

sillyrabbit said:
If I couldnt bring my bunnies in for cuddles - I dont know what I'd do!!

I would probaby sit in the garden and freeze!! I love my bunny cuddles :D

Mine doesn't like being in - so I sit outside and freeze! My neighbours think I am very odd :oops: :oops: :shock:

I'd say it's ok in the milder weather but I wouldn't suggest it when it gets much colder. If you were going outside after you'd been indoors in winter, you'd put a coat on before you went out - but your bun is going from in to out without any extra clothing. If they're only in for short periods then they won't moult their extra warm fur away but I'd still be inclined not to bring them in at all when it's very cold, otherwise it could be a heck of a shock for them when they go back outside.

I've stopped bringing Dougal and Mhairi into the house.
I get wrapped up and visit them in their shed.
I'd agree with AlisonA.

nicole said:
I've stopped bringing Dougal and Mhairi into the house.
I get wrapped up and visit them in their shed.
I'd agree with AlisonA.

I agree - and they keep your hands warm when you cuddle them too! :lol:

Thanks for your replies. If Carmel were kept in a shed then I'd probably do as you do Nicole. However she's in a hutch. I just feel she won't get as much attention when she's outside, cuddles are on her terms and outside she doesn't seem interested! She'll come to me indoors though! Think I might get my boyfriend to clear out the garage so we can both sit in there, a happy medium!

Gem

when I say I bring them in I dont mean I sit in front of the fire with them or anything by the way :D

They come into the kitchen which is the coldest room in the house anyway and with no heating and the windows open its probably not that much warmer than outside anyway.

do you think that would be ok to keep doing throughout the winter? I could also keep the door open and turn the heating off a few hours before I bring them in.

Apart from the bunny cuddles I bring Trip and Scarlett in at night because one of the neighbours cats is crazy and just follows them around waiting to pounce! It has learned to stay well away from malibu so I am happy to let her play in the dark while I am in the garden and she is easier to keep an eye on in the dark!

So I dont really like Trip and Scarlett being outside when I cant see the cat too well, and they love to go hiding behind the flowers where I cant see them properly. although they do get a few hours playing in the whole garden in daylight everyday.

sillyrabbit said:
when I say I bring them in I dont mean I sit in front of the fire with them or anything by the way :D

They come into the kitchen which is the coldest room in the house anyway and with no heating and the windows open its probably not that much warmer than outside anyway.

do you think that would be ok to keep doing throughout the winter? I could also keep the door open and turn the heating off a few hours before I bring them in.

I think thats ok, its just the heating thats a potential problem

Back