• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fostering

I think it varies depending on who you are fostering for. Some rescues will provide you with everything, including accommodation, some rely on you to provide accommodation. Some will insist on the bun going back to their vet for treatment (they may get a small discount at their own vet), some will let you take them to yours. Usually the rescue pays for vet bills and food etc, although often I think fosterers will happily pay for the food, hay etc themselves.

I foster for Eve, and it works pretty much that I provide the hutch (which I had anyway, I'm sure Eve would give me a hutch if I needed one to foster for her), and Eve gives me food/hay if I want it, and gives me the money for the vet bills. Buns that come to me are ones that aren't ready for rehoming for whatever reason - Nala came in too overweight to spay so she came here for a while to slim down, and now I have a baby who is not old enough to neuter. This just takes a bun off Eve's hands for a while, if it's not ready for rehoming anyway so no need for it to be there for viewings etc. The buns go back to Eve's vet for neutering but have seen my vet here if needed in the interim.

There's also some good information about fostering on the main RR site here: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/fostering.asp

AlisonA said:
I think it varies depending on who you are fostering for. Some rescues will provide you with everything, including accommodation, some rely on you to provide accommodation. Some will insist on the bun going back to their vet for treatment (they may get a small discount at their own vet), some will let you take them to yours. Usually the rescue pays for vet bills and food etc, although often I think fosterers will happily pay for the food, hay etc themselves.

I foster for Eve, and it works pretty much that I provide the hutch (which I had anyway, I'm sure Eve would give me a hutch if I needed one to foster for her), and Eve gives me food/hay if I want it, and gives me the money for the vet bills. Buns that come to me are ones that aren't ready for rehoming for whatever reason - Nala came in too overweight to spay so she came here for a while to slim down, and now I have a baby who is not old enough to neuter. This just takes a bun off Eve's hands for a while, if it's not ready for rehoming anyway so no need for it to be there for viewings etc. The buns go back to Eve's vet for neutering but have seen my vet here if needed in the interim.

There's also some good information about fostering on the main RR site here: http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/fostering.asp

yep whatever alsion wants :D :D i would provide a hutch/run food ect...is mrs A wanted it and have tried but shes just not having it (would mean taking more buns :lol: :lol: :lol: actually she is an angel :D :D :D

fostering for me is quite difficult a because i have a high turn over with the vet ie... i get them ready for rehoming quite quickly health allowing so having them with a foster is ackward for viewings and vet runs ect.... but harder to rehome bunnies and babies for me is great for a foster, trouble is i dont many, as i dont rehome babies until they are old enough to be neutered and fully vacd...

I have fostered for Jill (Honeybuuny) for the last year now. I provide the accommodation both indoor and outdoor and most of the food, although Jill does get me a bale of hay every now and again. Nearly all of the vaeterinary care is prrvided by Jills own vets, however in an emergency she trusts me to use my common sense as the welfare of the rabbit comes first.

Collecting foster rabbits is not a problem for us as I live fairly near to Jill and she has a key to my house to collect the rabbits when I am not at home.

For anyone thinking of fostering, I can only say that I do not regret for one minute phoning Jill and offering to foster for her. I find it very rewarding and have gained a very good friend.
Ange

Oooooh does that mean that you're Angie, Thumpinbun??

I find fostering really rewarding. I can't have any more permanent buns, as I can't offer them the amount of space and exercise that I would like to without it affecting my existing two pairs.

But I use a 6ft hutch for fostering and a concreted area round the back of the garage which is about 10*12ft, for supervised exercise, so it's absolutely fine as a temporary measure. The hutch alone is probably far bigger than most of them have had before!

It's just so rewarding to see a bun transformed just by TLC, good food and exercise, and to know that I've played my part in making sure it goes to a fantastic new home. You get very attached to them (because they need more TLC, I probably spend more time with the fosters than I do my own) and it's hard to let them go, but you just have to keep your eye on the bigger picture - that if you don't let this one go, you won't have the space to help another needy bun. It's probably not for everyone, but if you think you can do it - go for it!

I really enjoy fostering too.
I havent (yet :wink: ) done much rabbit fostering, but have been fostering cats for a while.

I had a stray brought to me yesterday- hes in such a terrible state its really upsetting- he's literally a bag of bones :cry: :( He's still very friendly though bless him. Ive been telling him that Im going to look after him now until he finds a forever home.

I always feel very sad when they leave, but its great knowing you helped them. I say give it a go if you are interested.

Must add my bit!!
Ange has been an absolute star and without her quite a number of rabbits could not have come into rescue when they desperately needed to.
Not only does she foster..... she has got up at 6 nearly every Sunday since June to do boot sales with me..the last one was this morning...and she brings the coffee!..What more could I ask for?! :D :D :D

...and Mandy will soon be having a couple of Honeybunnies to foster too! :D
Estelle, Katie(Animusak) and Lindsey (Mikeymoo) have also fostered for me in the past..and Tree and Angie 65 have buns with them at the moment that will soon be coming in...all these people make a real difference to the rabbits to whom they offer a safe haven. :D

I'm a rookie at this fostering lark and to be honest, not sure that it's for me. It was lucky that Meghan went to a fabulous home quickly but I was getting very, very attached as she changed from a depressed bun to an inquisitive, lively one in my house - any longer with me and it would have been so hard to say goodbye. Rusty came to me as a foster but there was no way I was going to let her go anywhere as I was smitten straightaway. :roll: I take my hat off to peeps that can foster, give the buns the care and attention they need yet remain detached enough to say goodbye *bows*

The other problem I have with fostering is that I find it difficult to let the rescue pick up the Vet's bills when I'm having all the pleasure of the buns company....

luvabun said:
I'm a rookie at this fostering lark and to be honest, not sure that it's for me. It was lucky that Meghan went to a fabulous home quickly but I was getting very, very attached as she changed from a depressed bun to an inquisitive, lively one in my house - any longer with me and it would have been so hard to say goodbye. Rusty came to me as a foster but there was no way I was going to let her go anywhere as I was smitten straightaway. :roll: I take my hat off to peeps that can foster, give the buns the care and attention they need yet remain detached enough to say goodbye *bows*

The other problem I have with fostering is that I find it difficult to let the rescue pick up the Vet's bills when I'm having all the pleasure of the buns company....

It really is incredibly hard to say good bye to fosters and you DO get very attatched, - I was very hurt and offended when the people who adopted my first foster cat said to me 'I could NEVER do what you do'- said in a tone as though I was heartless and was doing something wrong by letting him go to a new home :x I would dearly loved to have kept him, but then I wouldnt have been able to foster any more. I wish people would think before they speak (I know thats not what you meant but it just reminded me of when that happened.)

Audrey was supposed to be a temporary bun but ended up staying because I just adored her. Some animals I do manage to stay a bit more detatched with- usually if there is more than one in a group helps as I dont develop such a close relationship with them.

RE) The vets fees, i dont feel guilty- I am just helping them out after all. However, when I had my long term foster buns with health problems I did end up paying for their treatment, as I felt they were 'mine', as they would never be going up for adoption.

I don't think fosterer's or rescuers do stay detached...I think you build a stronger bond with some more than others, but it is always hard to say goodbye......I do know Ange has got quite upset when at least 3 of the buns she has fostered for a while (Alfie, Sam and Wooky) have left for new homes, but she knows the space will soon be filled ...
Sometimes, I too have to walk away quite quickly when a new owner takes their bunny...but you know it's for the best and move on to caring for the next one.

I agree, fostering is hard. I've experienced both sides of it in that Jill's Sam now lives with me and the four boys Mandy fostered do too. I love them dearly and really appreciate both Ange and Mandy's input into their lives and giving up their time and space so that they could be cared for.

I also foster and it is hard to let them go as each bun is so individual and their personalities, good or bad, always gets you in the end, especially when you know the situation they have come from.

I think its easier to let them go if you prepare yourself for it if you know what I mean?

I fostered two old cats for 3 months and the rescue let them go to someone they knew so they didnt have a homecheck- they just rang me and said someone was coming to get them and they were gone within an hour. I was so upset to lose them so quickly, as I didnt get a chance to say a proper goodbye to them- usually its a week or two between people coming to see them, homecheck and collecting :cry: :cry:

Belle was also very special to me.

I think it was easier with the Beatles Chloe, as there were four of them and they were little terrors! :lol: No, only kidding I did have a cry when they left, but I was also really happy that you'd given them a home.

Thumpinbun said:
I have fostered for Jill (Honeybuuny) for the last year now. I provide the accommodation both indoor and outdoor and most of the food, although Jill does get me a bale of hay every now and again. Nearly all of the vaeterinary care is prrvided by Jills own vets, however in an emergency she trusts me to use my common sense as the welfare of the rabbit comes first.

Collecting foster rabbits is not a problem for us as I live fairly near to Jill and she has a key to my house to collect the rabbits when I am not at home.

For anyone thinking of fostering, I can only say that I do not regret for one minute phoning Jill and offering to foster for her. I find it very rewarding and have gained a very good friend.
Ange

Hi - I have Alfie :D

Angie65 said:
Thumpinbun said:

Ange

Hi, Alfie was my first foster bun, how is he doing ?

Thumpinbun said:
Angie65 said:
Thumpinbun said:

Ange

Hi, Alfie was my first foster bun, how is he doing ?

Great. He has his own room & lives with his daughter, Polly :D He spends most evenings lying on the top stair while Polly runs up & down them. They are my cleanest buns & the only ones allowed on my carpet :lol:

Back