• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Peanut is not well...

Hells

Warren Scout
... little Peanut is not himself at all today.

He ate his pellets and carrot and cabbage first thing but since about 11am he has just been sat in his litter tray. I've checked him over and cannot see anything, not quite sure what I can do if anything, I just have this feeling that he is not well :cry:

Awwww poor lad :(
Has he poo'd his normal amount?
Cabbage can give some Bunnies wind. Do you have any Infacol? If so I'd give him 2mls of it now and then give him some gentle tummy rubs.

Is he eating anything now? Hopefully the Infacol will help but if he has not poo'd and is now not eating and is quiet I think you need to speak with your Vet.

Janex

Thanks for your reply Jane. I have just bought him in from the shed into the kitchen so I can observe him. There is hardly any poo and I cannot tempt him to eat. He didn't struggle when I picked him up, which is not him at all.

I don't have any infacol...

I'm going to call the vet now and she what they say.

Hells said:
Thanks for your reply Jane. I have just bought him in from the shed into the kitchen so I can observe him. There is hardly any poo and I cannot tempt him to eat. He didn't struggle when I picked him up, which is not him at all.

I don't have any infacol...

I'm going to call the vet now and she what they say.

I think thats a good idea. Sounds like he has tummy ache and needs pain relief and some metoclopromide.
Do let us know how you get on.

Janex

I've got some metacam - it is bottle I've had about 6 months (when he reacted badly to his hvd jab), is it worth giving some of that?

I'd say not - a bun in GI stasis will not be absorbing anything given to him orally (hence injectable metaclopromide and painkiller are needed), so you could do more harm than good by giving that. I'd definitely call the vet. If you can get any infacol in the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to give some of that too as it could help if he has a gassy tummy. You can quite often get it from petrol station shops, I've certainly seen it in our local sainsburys petrol station. I would definitely ring your vet first though. Hope he is ok xxx

AlisonA said:
I'd say not - a bun in GI stasis will not be absorbing anything given to him orally (hence injectable metaclopromide and painkiller are needed), so you could do more harm than good by giving that. I'd definitely call the vet. If you can get any infacol in the meantime, it wouldn't hurt to give some of that too as it could help if he has a gassy tummy. You can quite often get it from petrol station shops, I've certainly seen it in our local sainsburys petrol station. I would definitely ring your vet first though. Hope he is ok xxx

As ever good advice from Alison!!
Hope Peanut soon feels MUCH better

Janex

Thanks Alison and Jane

I've just bought the indoor cage in from the garage and set that up in the kitchen, I have carefully counted out 6 SS pellets, a handful of hay and a bowl of water... he has had a little drink and a small bite of hay...

The vet asked me to call again in an hour or so with an update

x

Back