• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbit poo cause blindness??

linnyloo

Alpha Buck
Kaylee is not crawling yet but it won't be long before she can move round.

I'm concerned as Skips cage is in the living room and although he does most of his poos in his litter tray some do tend to go everywhere.

I figured the only problem would be a choking hazard incase she ate one and i have thought about moving him somewhere else (not sure where as my house is tiny!)
Now my MIL has told me i should move him and get all the carpets cleaned as rabbit/dog and cat poo all have some bug in them that can make her blind if she gets it in her mouth.

Is this true??

Theres no way i'm getting rid of Skip but i need to figure something else out if this is the case :cry: :? :cry:

I don't know for definate, but I thought there was only this risk from meat eating animals poops such as cats and dogs?

I think you MIL is on about Toxoplasmosis which can cause blindness in humans. It's one of the things that you are/should be told about in pregnancy with respect of cleaning cat litter trays & poop etc. I always thought that it was only cat & dog poop that carried the bug but it might be worth Googling 'Toxoplasmosis' to check

I should think your MIL is thinking of toxocara (which is the worm from dog/cat faeces which can cause blindness). Also if you look here: http://www.newtownabbey.gov.uk/dogs/toxocara.htm it says that the eggs take 2-3 weeks from being in the faeces, before they are a risk - so as long as the litter tray is regularly changed, even if he does have the worms, they shouldn't cause a problem.

I'd have thought that a 5 day course of panacur for Skip would kill off any worms if he does have anything like this, which in itself is jolly unlikely to be honest!

Thanks everyone. I too thought it was only really cats and dogs with this problem (she is a cat lover !)

I think i will need to move him upstairs anyway due to the poos being of a good choking hazard!!

And yep Skip is one spoilt bunny :lol:

It looks from the pic that Skip and Kaylee get on just fine. :D

Completely o/t, but my o/h's 17 month old nephew met Evo for the first time yesterday. He kept on going up to the cage, and going "hiya" and poking his fingers in. He sat beside the cage for ages and even gave Evo a kiss through the bars. Bless.

Back