• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do About Esme....U/D Errrrmmmm, Well she Has a Man!!

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Esme, the little black lop is 11 months old. Until a few weeks ago she lived with a buck (her brother I THINK).
Esme has now been spayed and will be vaccinated next week. I am NOT taking in any more Rabbits apart from two who are lined up to come in soon. I do not have any suitable single Bucks to bond Esme with and I am not confident enough to disturb the equilibrium of an already bonded pair by introducing Esme to them. Also, I have a lack of neutral territory to attempt this.
So please can you comment on the following:

1-I keep Esme as a single Bun (she can always see and smell other Bunnies and her pen is in the main room so there is always lots going on)

2-I Rehome Esme to someone (preferably on RU) who has a Buck who wants a Laydee....(God I have NEVER re-homed a Rabbit!! :? :cry: :? )

3-I try to enlist some-one who could take Esme and one of my bonded pairs and try to establish a 'three-some'. I really am far to much of a bonding wuss to attempt this myself... :oops:

ADVICE PLEASE!!

Janex

I have absolutely no advice - cos I am no good at thhose things either, I let someone else do it lol - Then I dont have to watch.
Hope someone comes up with a good plan , and I will wait to hear that the NOT taking on more bunnies! disappear again! lol

I think I would be tempted to go along the route of someone helping you with a threesome bonding.

Is there anyone local to you that would be able to help?

If not, just get another bunny! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kate x

I think I would go along the threesome route! Otherwise i've Fudge who needs a girlfriend but I'm being a bit of a wuss with him after Amy!x

*sticks head above parapet*

You know what Jane, I think I'd be inclined to go with 'b if you can bear to! Simply because we know that she has been used to living with another bun so I'm not sure it's fair to have her on her own now; even if she can see others, she can't snuggle and groom like she must have been used to, and like you, I'm far too scared of disturbing the equilibrium of a bonded pair :lol: Maybe the experts can say whether threesomes are more likely to be more active and/or 'bicker' more, especially in the presence of other buns? I'd be worried that it could cause a minor WW3 in your house :? I guess though you could always try 'c' first and if it doesn't work, go with 'b'? But I think you'd have to choose the twosome very carefully :?

Not an easy decision in any circumstance :?

I would go b or c. I think , like Alison said, she has been used to company and it would be a shame to have her as a single.

I agree with Alison and would be tempted to rehome her, you know enough wonderful bunny mums and dads off here I'm sure you could find someone to give her a lovely home and you could be Aunty Jane :D

Hmmmm. Well that has given me food for thought... :?

I have had groups of Bunnies before. The largest being 5 (Ronan and Jack-Brothers, Beatrice-Mummy, and Bea's Sisters Eleanor and Megan.

I also once bonded 3 unrelated Does and a buck but had lots of neutral territory and fewer other Buns ..... :?

I will think about it carefully. Thanks for your help!! :D

Janex

Jane only popped around to return an indoor cage she had borrowed from me :D She hadn't come to get a bunny :wink:

Back