• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding baby rabbits P at H?

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
When I go to check on the bunnies and pigs at P at H (which are still housed together) they never have any hay or food. I always mention this to an assistant who normally goes and fills up the hay rack (On most occassions I have also had to ask for the rack to be lowered as its usually to high, the rabs have to really reach up and the pigs have no chance)

However today when I went to ask an assistant for more hay she said they had been fed this morning and 7.30am and would be fed again as staff left for the evening (about 4.00pm I think as it was Sunday). I asked about statis as this seemed a long time for them to go without food. She said if they eat throughout the day because they are living in a stressful situation the buns get diahorrea so it's best not to give them too much food? I said I didn't think this could be correct.

This doesn't sound right to me but before I write to complain I wanted to see what you guys think?

Rabswood

If they eat pellets through out the day they'd probably end up with diahorrea but hay through the day should have the opposite effect. Removing the food might stop the diahorrea but that's only because they then have nothing going in to come out the other end.

If the buns are so stressed that normal eating patterns effect their health then they should look into ways of eliviating the stress not stop feeding them! For example, they could provide move covered areas for the rabbits to retreat to.

Tam

I thought baby rabbits are supposed to be fed ad lib pellets?

I went in my local P@H and they hardly any pellets left and no hay, so told the assistant they needed hay constantly and when she gave it to them they went mad.

It looked like they hadnt had any at all that day.... :(

Will put what you said in my letter Tamsin. I thought the baby bunnies should have access to hay 24/7 like older buns but had to query it on the Forum as the assistant seemed so sure she was right and I've never had any baby buns.

Rabs

Back