• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which surface for run?

Jonny

Warren Scout
Still trying to work out which is the best surface to set my run on.

As rabbits will have access 24/7, so I need to make it dig-proof. One of my bunnies I had when I was a child dug his way out and we found him across the road eating holly. He died the next day, so I don't want any repeats!

My father has suggested gravel, but that may be sore on their paws?

Another option would be soil, but with chicken wire underneath. An alternative would be flagstones or concrete, with a tray of soil for them to dig in if the urge should take them!

maybe yopu could use gravel or bark chips and put a couple of slabs in if you are worried about their feet, mine are on pure paving slabs, it is good for their feet, but becareful if they are rexes, they have thin hocks (i think it is rexes??)

Yes Mhairi is a rex rabbit, so I have half wooded pallets in the run and I put vet bed on it for her. Most other rabbits should be ok with slabs for their feet.

I have concrete slabs with rubber mats on top, I to had a rex and at the moment I have 2 foster rabbits from Jane, Mia is a rex and is coping well with the mats.

Mine are on concrete slabs with a thick layer of straw on top on that and boxes for digging in the run, they seem to love it :D And made it waterproof so nothing gets wet ;)

Ours is set on grass but it soon wears out & has to be re-turfed. The base has 2" weld mesh to stop any escapes. Thinking of using bark chips instead with a couple of slabs in there as well.

MIne are on 2/3 concrete and 1/3 wooden frames covered with galvanised mesh, then with bark chippings on top.
DSCN0826.jpg

Our original run was on grass, but it just turned to a mud patch within weeks.

Their new run is on paving slabs which is much better. Makes it much simpler to clean too. :)

Mine are on concrete and they have all been fine on this. They have plenty of soft bedding in their hutches and haven't had any problems with their feet. I wouldn't think gravel would be too good - and if it was on top of soil then I imagine they could still potentially dig through it. I would go for paving slabs or the like. Easiest to keep clean too :D

Mine is on paving slabs which I find easier and the buns havent had sore hocks. Also helps their nails. I do add some straw do the run and obviously they kick it out of their hutch too :D

bunnies said:
I have concrete slabs with rubber mats on top, I to had a rex and at the moment I have 2 foster rabbits from Jane, Mia is a rex and is coping well with the mats.

Is your runs got a cover over it to stop the rain getting in?

If not, how does the rubber mats do in the rain?

I've been toying with the rubber mat idea.

Back