• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Willow - pet shop sick bun - Update 14/11

Suzanne

Mama Doe
On Monday I went into a local pet shop and it was disgusting! The aniamls were in tiny concrete areas. One rabbit was in a 2ftx2ft space and he looked really sick. I asked if i could see him and the owner picked him up by his scruff and passed him to me. He was shaking, smelly and so skinny. All the fur under his chin was matted together (he's a lionhead) He said he was an old rabbit, I told him he had teeth problems. There was no hay in with them.

I couldn't stop thinking about him so on Tuesday I made a vets appointment and i went back to get him - he just gave him to me cause he knew he was ill. I took him to the vets and they said that he had spurs that would need burring and he was in stasis. One of the spurs had made a hole in his tongue and it was the biggest the vet had ever seen. He only weiged 1.6kg so i was worried about the sedation but it was either that or PTS. They kept him in the vets overnight and he was allowed to come home Wednesday evening. It has been such a worrying time - I keep him next to me all the time.

We went back to the vets this afternoon and he now weighs 1.9kg!! :D Which is great news!! :D He's grinding his teeth still and dribbling a bit so to vet gave him metcam. He's eating softened SS, dandelions and carrots now. He's so frightened though and when you touch him he shakes. :( I know it will take a lot patience and TLC. I'm not working at the moment so I can spend all day with him and try to build up some trust. He really is smelly though - but he's started to groom himself again. :D

We decided to call him Willow.
Thursday
Picture163.jpg

Today
Picture171.jpg

Thanks to Jane and Jill for the advice and support

Poor little mite!!!

Can i say he looks better already in the second photo so good job!!!

Well done rescuing him and i would report the shop to the RSPCA otherwise it will keep happening.

Oh, the poor little darling :( He looks so sad and frightened in the first photo, but you can see his true character coming through in the second picture! You've done wonders for him Suzanne.

Poor little fella :( His eyes look so sad in the first picture :( but he looks a little more inquisitive in the 2nd... :love:

I agree that maybe you yould contact the RSPCA if you have concerns over the conditions in the pet shop

OH POOR BUN!!!

:cry:

Glad hes with you! He's Such a Cutie!
Im glad he's already started gaining weight!

Keep us updated on the little fella wont you!

m
xx

Aww Suzanne so nice to see a picture of the poor little mite. what a lucky bun to have been spotted by you. Lets hope he goes from strength to strength.
Have you decided what you are going to do re reporting shop?

Suzanne,
I now understand your PM. Thats terrible! He looks loads better now though, well done for saving him. I can't believe he was in that state!

Willow has a fab bunny mummy with you. The poor little bun. So glad he found you and Im sure he is already repaying you with love and looks. Send him a huggle please xxx

Awwww, I have to say he already looks much better in the second piccy :love:

Well done, keep us updated on his progress. :)

How could they let him get in such a state - that's awful!
Can see he is starting to improve already. He's a lovely looking litttle chap!

Glad to hear he is making good progress, what an evil shop for letting him get into that state in the first place :evil:

Well done for giving him a chance in life xxx

Poor little chap :( I wonder how long he'd been there for; well done for rescuing him! I would agree with the others about reporting the shop - I'd also report to the local Council, as the Environmental Health department will licence the pet shop. Hope Willow continues to improve well :D

Aww bless :D
I also agree about reporting him, as sadly this will just happen to other buns in the future :(
Perhaps your vets would be willing to give a statement on how bad he was when you took him in - the fact that it was an 'op or PTS' situation may make the RSPCA/council a bit more likely to do something? :?

Back