• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Audrey has sore hocks again :( U/D

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
Been at the vets today as Audrey has been biting her front paws again :(

And her back feet have gone scabby and red again, after I was so pleased about the fur growing back :( :(

Only thing I can think has caused it is the carpet downstairs where she lives now is more abbrassive and of course when she was bonding with Rowan there was lots of frantic chasing which may have chaffed her feet.

So...she is to be on long term fuciderm cream now- I have to use it once a day until its looking a bit better and then every other day.

I dont know what else to do...I keep her nails as short as possible, shes a house rabbit bedded on blankets and she's lots loads of weight- in fact too much as she was weighed tonight and only weighs 2.8kg so she needs to put on about 200g (shes a rex BTW.)

Any other suggestions at all please? Or should I just accept thats how it is- hopefully the cream will help, as it did last time.

ps. The vet says I need to wear gloves when putting the cream on as it contains a steroid...what exactly will it do if I dont because I cant usually be bothered :lol:

thank you xx

I dont *think* theres much else I can do as the problem had already started before I got her and at least its not broken skin but thought its worth asking.

Oh I just thought of something else which may have made it worse- Rowan has been weeing EVERYWHERE- including in their bed. Have been swopping beds every day and he's got a bit better over the last few days, but they're still usually sitting in a damp poo ridden bed in the mornings.

Ive been using carefresh in their litter trays.

I just reread this and perhaps I should bed her on straw?
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/sorehocks.htm

Im just talking to myself here :lol:

Re: Audrey has sore hocks again :(

Hey Mands

Maybe if the treatment works and A and R have settled now hopefully it will sort itsself out cos it sounds like you're doing all the right things.

mandy said:
ps. The vet says I need to wear gloves when putting the cream on as it contains a steroid...what exactly will it do if I dont because I cant usually be bothered :lol:

I think if your voice goes deep and you start growing a moustache you'll know the answer to that question!! :lol: :lol:

Re: Audrey has sore hocks again :(

chloaster said:
Hey Mands

Maybe if the treatment works and A and R have settled now hopefully it will sort itsself out cos it sounds like you're doing all the right things.

mandy said:

I think if your voice goes deep and you start growing a moustache you'll know the answer to that question!! :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks Chloe, I best stick to the gloves then! :lol: :lol:

Would something like vetbed help. Does it absorb the urine away from them? I guess it could be aggravated by urine. I noticed when Maisie was incontinent and had a wet rear, that the skin was very inflammed and I had to use Fucidin to clear it up.

You should wear gloves as steroids can thin the skin. I had to have steroid mouse for a scalp condition once, and you have to dispense it onto a plate not your hand and wash your hands after rubbing it in! :shock:

I agree with vet bed suggestion, the pro fleece is better and with lots of newspaper under it absorbs all the urine. Please wear gloves as its already been said steroids do thin the skin. Fleece blankies also help.

:D

thanks everyone, i thought of vet bed last night so have been looking on ebay for some...so i should go for profleece then?

Ooooo sorry Mandy I have no advice but I love your new siggy!!! I thought it was Fia at first hehehehe

Hope you figure out Audrey's sore hocks probs

Shiv, Zi & Fia

ShivyRex said:
Ooooo sorry Mandy I have no advice but I love your new siggy!!! I thought it was Fia at first hehehehe

Hope you figure out Audrey's sore hocks probs

Shiv, Zi & Fia

Aw thank you :D They do look alike dont they...what a gorgeous forusome they'd make- im coming to bunny nap Zion and Fia :twisted:

sorry to be dense here, and i am not questioning the vets prescription just curious.....
if the steroid cream thins the skin, why use it on a bunny with sore hocks?
would it not harm bunny skin too?

colliewoman said:
sorry to be dense here, and i am not questioning the vets prescription just curious.....

It should only be used for a maximum of 7 days :wink:

If the skin is actually broken then systemic abx are needed to prevent infection of underlying structures (synovial joint and tendons) Anti-inflammatories (systemic) are usually necessary too.
Some of my Rexes with chronic pododermatitis also have to be kept as slim as possible (I am not popular for that :roll: ) as excessive weight exacerbates the condition.

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
colliewoman said:

It should only be used for a maximum of 7 days :wink:

Janex

Oh no really? previously shes had it twice a day for 3 weeks :shock:

They did mention the thinning skin problem, so said once it is looking better to only use it once every other day :?

The skin isnt broken, just looks red and scabyish (more like rough skin than it healed over from a wound if that makes sense.)

Well I just picked her up to have a look and apply the cream again and they just look bald- no redness at all :?

Its very strange, as they really did look awful at the vets on friday- perhaps she'd just had a run around then and made them look redder?

Back