• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sore hocks or something else?

paulag

New Kit
Hi,

I've had my friend's house rabbits to stay again and I'm a bit worried because I seem to have sent Flossie home with sore feet.

My friend phoned up to say that she has a bald patch on one hind foot and one front foot has a bald red patch that she is continually worrying and licking.

They are kept in a puppy pen on lino with a litter tray which was kept clean while they were here. They were allowed out a couple of times into my carpeted hall, but not as much as they come out at home. Although they are predominantly allowed out on a wooden floor at home they do get to run on a carpet most days.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how Flossie hurt her feet - she had run up and down stairs so it is possible that she skidded at some point and rubbed her feet.

Really the question is whether anyone has experience of anything other than skidding on carpet that might cause sore feet? Particularly since she seems to be over grooming her front foot. I know that Degus will sometimes chew the tops of their front feet if they are in pain - but that's usually linked to some sort of physical problems like Diabetes.

Feeling a bit guilty but if anything we were guilty of not letting her out enough rather than letting her run around too much on carpet. My friend isn't upset with me as we both know that these things can happen.

Any suggestions for the best way to treat it. My gut feeling is really to leave it alone and let it heal or to use a gentle cream on it.

Paula

Do you use any carpet cleaner/freshener (eg shake'n'vac) ? It could be an allergic dermatitis
I would not advise putting any creams/lotions on the sore skin without consulting a Vet first. Sometimes putting lotions and potions on sore feet can make things worse

Janex

I haven't used any chemicals on the carpet - it just gets hoovered.

I'm going to pop over this evening and take a look at her feet to try to see what's up. My friend has spoken to the vet, who I think advised vasaline and to bring her in if it's not getting better by Monday.

Paula

OK - I've been over to see her and it's very strange. She's now lost fur on both back feet - which means it's unlikely to be an injury on my carpet as she's been home since Thursday and there is a wooden floor there and lino in their pen.

Here's a photo - notice that she's missing fur on her toes as well - she's also got bald patches on her front feet. They're obviously bothering her as she's chewing at them, shaking them and looks a bit tender when she walks.

She's still kept on the same lino she always has been and now has a towel to sit on.

Paula

BunnyFeet.jpg

Hiya Have a read of this, it will help you with how it happened and what you can do from now on:
http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rwf/articles/sorehocks.htm

If the skin becomes broken/irritated/imflamed then she will really need to see a vet for possibly antibiotics and cream.
If you are planning on taking her anyway on Monday I would think this would be a good idea as if you treat it now it may prevent it getting worse.

I wouldnt worry about blaming yourself. it may be several factors that have caused it.

Thanks for your replies. We've come to the conclusion that it is sore hocks - caused by her being a large (although not overweight) bunny living on a hard surface.

She's been given towels to sit on and her owner is going to get her a soft fleece bed to sit on today (she can probably get a large one that fills a large part of the cage. She's going to the vets tommorow.

I feel awful because it's probably because she didn't get out a great deal while she was here because my house isn't very rabbit proof. Although they do have a pen that is larger than any rabbit hutch.

So rather than being carpet burn as such it's probably due to her sitting around on the hard surface of her pen. Hopefully when she's given a soft surface to sit on they'll heal up.

Update - I've given my friend some fleece beds that I had for her to sit on until she sees the vet tommorow. Hopefully they won't rip them up - the main reason why she doesn't normally have anything to sit on is they tend to rip anything she's given up and sit on the lino anyhow.

Paula

One last update - she's been on the soft bed for a couple of days and the feet are looking less red. So she'll be keeping the soft bed from now on. Although apparently she's completely trashed it!!

Paula

Back