• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Eye drop tips needed

dreamz1

Young Bun
Hi, can any one give me some advice on eye drops.

I have got some eye drops (cream form) to give to Domino. I am having great problems getting it into her eyes. As soon as the cream nears her eyes she closes them so tightly I can’t open them. Also, I don’t want to poke the end into her eye and hurt her. I don’t suppose putting the cream in the corner of the eye is good enough, but does anyone have any tips?

I saw a new vet yesterday who gave her a good examination when I took her for mixi jab. He thought that she may have an eye infection. Dom is a large white rabbit with red eyes, and they have always been weepy. My favourite rabbit vet has checked her eyes very closely before when to me they looked worse than they do now, and didn’t think there was a problem, just that her eyes are sensitive and to keep them clean. I am not sure that she has an infection but I will apply the cream anyway.

Any tips, or previous experience stories would be appreciated.

Adele

Even if your Bun closes her eyes you can still apply the ointment by gently lifting the upper eye-lid and applying the ointment along the conjunctiva (inner surface of eyelid). Then gently massage over the closed eye to disperse the ointment.
If your Bunny has chronic 'watery eyes' has your Vet checked your Bunny's teeth? Dental problems often present with 'watery eyes'

Janex

Thankyou, I have been having a bit more success with the cream. The vet gave her teeth a good examination (much to Doms displeasure), and said there didn't look like there are any problems.

Adele

Back