• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grouping question, males with a female?

Karly

Banned
Anyone here have success housing more than one male with a female bun?
Sadly I found Joey had passed away in his sleep the other night :( There was no sign of anything wrong, he was just in his wooden box he always sleeps in, eyes shut and laid around in sleeping position. Wondering if it might be to do with his poorly episode a few months ago, so Nina'll be going for a checkup just incase.
This does leave her on her own though. I was considering bonding her with Squishy and Rex but not sure if the pairing is ideal - 2 bucks to 1 doe.
Squishy and Rex have lived in a trio before, so they're pretty easy going males (the 3rd was a boy too), and all the bunnies have met in runs. No problems there other than Joey getting a bit protective of 'his' girl and chasing the other boys off, but no blood drawn and things would settle down when the other boys learnt to not go too near to Nina when Joey was close. So I'm pretty sure they'd get along, but obviously they've only met on neutral territory for short periods of time. Would housing a female permanently with two males cause the boys to fall out with each other? They used to have small squabbles if Nina was on the side near them when their crates were side by side, but I know lots of animals act totally different when meeting without the bars inbetween.
The boys couldn't inflict major damage to each other as they're both incisorless, but obviously I wouldn't want to put them in a situation that would stress them out permanently! If it doesn't work out, I'll get another bun to bond with Nina as I don't believe in lone buns anymore, but if it's been done successfully by others I'd definately give it a go.

You might be better off getting another bun. We had 2 bonded buns and when we introduced 2 more the original bonded pair fell out big time and it took us quite a while to get them back together again.

Good Luck!. :)

Tracey x

Karly said:
Anyone here have success housing more than one male with a female bun?
Sadly I found Joey had passed away in his sleep the other night :( There was no sign of anything wrong, he was just in his wooden box he always sleeps in, eyes shut and laid around in sleeping position. Wondering if it might be to do with his poorly episode a few months ago, so Nina'll be going for a checkup just incase.
This does leave her on her own though. I was considering bonding her with Squishy and Rex but not sure if the pairing is ideal - 2 bucks to 1 doe.
Squishy and Rex have lived in a trio before, so they're pretty easy going males (the 3rd was a boy too), and all the bunnies have met in runs. No problems there other than Joey getting a bit protective of 'his' girl and chasing the other boys off, but no blood drawn and things would settle down when the other boys learnt to not go too near to Nina when Joey was close. So I'm pretty sure they'd get along, but obviously they've only met on neutral territory for short periods of time. Would housing a female permanently with two males cause the boys to fall out with each other? They used to have small squabbles if Nina was on the side near them when their crates were side by side, but I know lots of animals act totally different when meeting without the bars inbetween.
The boys couldn't inflict major damage to each other as they're both incisorless, but obviously I wouldn't want to put them in a situation that would stress them out permanently! If it doesn't work out, I'll get another bun to bond with Nina as I don't believe in lone buns anymore, but if it's been done successfully by others I'd definately give it a go.

I would give it a go. I have a group of 2 males/1 female and they adore each other. Up until last week it was 2 groups like that before my beloved Bailey passed away :cry: . There are a few people on this forum that have done the same with alot of success :thumb:

I’ve got three males living with a female. They get on great but the female is definitely the boss! :lol:

Louise

I now have a group of two males and two females. They were originally in two bonded pairs and I just introduced them to each other. Lots of initial chasing (from one of the females) but they have been absolutley fine ever since.
You just don't know till you try, but worth giving it a (careful) go!

Too late :lol: All 3 have been in my room all evening and we recently had the first grooming! Rex grooming Nina's head :) Squishy stopped sulking soon after and joined them in the litter tray for a little bit - then returned to snuggle with Rex when Nina hopped over to me for cuddles, think we can tell which way he swings :lol:
They'll be staying in overnight and then go out in the run together and I'll give the shed a really good clean, then I think I'll be able to credit myself with another easypeasy over-in-no-time bonding!

mmmm, dont speak too soon :wink:

I thought that too, then 2 months down the line had 4 seperate bunny homes for a while :roll:

Fingers crossed for you anyway :)

Tracey x

TRACEY said:
mmmm, dont speak too soon :wink:

I thought that too, then 2 months down the line had 4 seperate bunny homes for a while :roll:

Fingers crossed for you anyway :)

Tracey x

Not all of yours were neutered though if I remember rightly ;) Its much easier to bond groups if all of them are neutered

That is true, I wish I had waited til all 4 were done but they were all friends for 2 months before the younger ones were neutered. But once the 2 younger ones got older then things went all wrong :( . Still 2 are rebonded, one lives indoors with us :D and the other is going to get a nice wife very shortly hopefully :wink:

Tracey x

I have 3 boys living with 1 female.
She loves it, it means she can spend all day grooming them instead of herself.
Treacle has maternal instincts but no facilities to carry it out :lol: :lol:

I did use to have 2 females and 5 males all living happily together, but once Harry of old age died (he was the 7 year old boss bunny), then a massive fight broke out in the remaining group. I now have a 4 some (garage bunnies) and a 2 some (shed bunnies), and 2 single bunnies (1 hutch and 1 house).

It can be done but keep a close eye on them for the first few months.

Back