• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

H & H r outside, colder weather - is this ok????Somebody

lucyj

Mama Doe
As many of u will know I've had Honey and Harly inside for 3 wks now while thy have been fighting of Myxi (Harly especially). I've now had 2 put them back outside tho, and Im a bit worried about thm/

They have good thick coats on them now. I put thm out at 7pm, its 2 or 3 degrees out here 2nite tht's why choose 2nite as it's milder here thn has been for a while.

Usually, I would put about an inch of woodshavings all over the floor of their hutch, topped in the bedding area with about 4 or 5 inches deep of straw and hay, thn I have a tarpaulin which just goes across the front of the hutch and maybe 8 inches on2 the roof and each side.

Tonight they have -

in living area, 2 inches of wood shavings topped by a small dogs fleecy blanket

in bedding area, 2 inches wood shavings topped by another small dogs fleecy blanket then hay about 3/4s of the way 2 the roof thn a snuggle safe.

also, under the tarpaulin Ive put a bigger fleecy blanket folded over double. tht I've tacked to the hutch so the sides will stay down. It covers the wire door and halfway along the other door (so covers crack at hinge) I've left alittle gap about 3 or 4 inches square at a bottom corner of the blanket untacked so have air coming in, but ths is covered by tarpauline so shouldnt b 2 drafty.

Do u all think ths is sufficient? I jst wnt 2 go out and take thm back in but unfortunatly tht's not a n option :(

I also have a sunshade tht's meant 2 b for ur car windscreen, its like a cross between foil and buuble wrap, used it 2 keep cool in summer but Im thinkin bout tackin it inside the roof 2mo as well? As will act as insulation eh?

Was also worried tht thy may chew fleecy blankets, but thy r meant for pet use (for dogs) so should b ok eh? :(

aww - glad they are better now and it sounds very cosy in their hutch. If they're not used to blankets they might chew little holes in them, but probably won't eat enough to hurt them - will most likely scrabble it up into a ball in disgust if they are like my bunnies :lol:

When it went down to below zero last week, I had a duvet on top of my hutches, plus a couple of rugs to cover that, the front and back of the hutch, and a plastic sack over the end of the hutch (took me ages to put it all on :roll: ) - But by morning the water was still unfrozen in their dishes (not sure if a bottle would have been so good as it's on the outside)

As yours have each other, and plenty of bedding, I'm sure they'll be fine in this temp - the foil sheet sounds like a good idea too - I might try and get one of those :D

not sure if a bottle would have been so good as it's on the outside)

oops forgot 2 say also have a bottle snug on their bottle, and it's inder the fleece blanket and the tarpaulin :)

the foil sheet sounds like a good idea too - I might try and get one of those

I have trimmed a little bit of the edge and tacked it inside rough and it does seem 2 be helping, I got it in the summertime from Poundland (so was only £1 obv) but Im sure thy still have them :)

Back