• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Alone Over The Weekend

baobao

Young Bun
hey all

me and my girlfriend have to go back to nottingham for the weekend to sort some family issues but the sad thing is that we cant take our rabbit back with us.

we r going to leave tommoro afternoon and come back on sunday night. Should i just fill his bowl up with food and give him a lot of hay for him to eat (as well as a filled water bottle) or is there a better way

thanks

Aaron

I would strongly advise againt this - rabbits have a tendency jst 2 munch whtever food is put in front of thm so may run out before u get back, and ths can b dangerous. ALso, with it bein colder the water may freeze. It really is not a good idea 2 leave him tht long. Isnt thr a neighbour or sumthing u could ask? Or try 2 find a boardin centre near u tht takes rabbits?

ooh forgot to mention

he is a house rabbit n lives with us in a flat

i dont think i can get the neighbours to do it since i dont know them welll and since we are all students... well u kno :p

this maybe a stupid and harsh question but cant rabbits live with just hay?

Ahh myabe tht's diff thn, it is a water bottle yeah and not a bowl? And he cant tip it over? Obv ur room is bunny proofed? U'll have 2 leave him masses of food. I dont know if its ok with him bein a house bun, some1 better will prob b on 2 advise u in morning. If do leave him I def would not leave him any longer thn tht tho, no matter wht.

Great minds think alike Emma :) I jst read tht post and was about 2 copy and paste the link in2 here 2 :)

baobao said:
hey all

me and my girlfriend have to go back to nottingham for the weekend to sort some family issues but the sad thing is that we cant take our rabbit back with us.

we r going to leave tommoro afternoon and come back on sunday night. Should i just fill his bowl up with food and give him a lot of hay for him to eat (as well as a filled water bottle) or is there a better way

thanks

Aaron

Simple answer -if you leave your rabbits alone that long IMO you are being negligent. Sorry, but thats how I see it. No offence intended.... :)

Janex

I've left mine for that long before but I had someone just to pop in and check on them in the morning!

Jack's-Jane said:
baobao said:
hey all

thanks

Aaron

Simple answer -if you leave your rabbits alone that long IMO you are being negligent. Sorry, but thats how I see it. No offence intended.... :)

Janex

I'll second that!!

What area are you in?, if you are in Warwickshire I'll take it in for you!!

Sometimes we go away for the whole weekend (Friday evening to Sunday night), but Harry ALWAYS drives back to check on them every 24 hours maximum. Things can happen in that time - even if you leave stacks of hay and water, what if they get ill? Rabbits can go downhill so rapidly in that time that unless someone sees they're ill and gets them to the vets it can often be too late.

Have you maybe got a friend you could leave a spare key with, then they could pop in sometime tomorrow and again Sunday morning, just to check all is well? You could leave them a quick list of things to check for. :)

Hope it works out. :)

AMETHYST

Jack's-Jane said:
baobao said:
hey all

thanks

Aaron

Janex

Sorry, don't agree with the suggestion you are negligent, the very fact you're on here shows you are NOT a negligent bunny owner and I don't think it's fair to suggest that.

I go back to Nottingham to see my folks and we go on Sat morning and come back Sun night, so I feed them before I go and when I get back again. If you look at the other thread though you'll see many different opinions, some suggesting anything more than 4 hours is unacceptable which IMO is ridiculous, no one would be able to go to work or go out if that was the case. So IMO Sat am to Sun pm is ok but I'd leave two water bottles in case one falls off and loads of hay. If your buns aren't used to having pellets/mix around the whole time then don't give them double as they'll just pig it, but mine have it available all the time so they eat it gradually. Otherwise they'll be fine with loads of hay to munch on.

However, Friday to Sunday I wouldn't do at all, if I need to I arrange a neighbour to pop in and check on them if it's any longer, you may find some fellow student quite happy to earn £5 or so for 10 mins work checking and feeding the bun.

kayjay said:
Jack's-Jane said:
baobao said:
hey all

thanks

Aaron

Janex

some suggesting anything more than 4 hours is unacceptable which IMO is ridiculous, no one would be able to go to work or go out if that was the case.

My PERSONAL opinion is that if one has any pet they should accept that their lifestyle is going to be affected. As stated in the other thread my interpretation of the term 'adequate care' is not just about providing food and water. I could never leave any pet alone overnight. There would be no point in me doing so cos all I'd do is worry about them and therefore not enjoy my time away.
My opinion may be 'ridiculous' but it is MY opinion.. :wink:

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
kayjay said:
Jack's-Jane said:
baobao said:
hey all

thanks

Aaron

Janex

some suggesting anything more than 4 hours is unacceptable which IMO is ridiculous, no one would be able to go to work or go out if that was the case.

My PERSONAL opinion is that if one has any pet they should accept that their lifestyle is going to be affected. As stated in the other thread my interpretation of the term 'adequate care' is not just about providing food and water. I could never leave any pet alone overnight. There would be no point in me doing so cos all I'd do is worry about them and therefore not enjoy my time away.

Janex

I totally agree that in having a pet your lifestyle is affected, however, if that meant never going anywhere even for a day out then I think many more rabbits and cats would end up in rescue or pts. You are a very dedicated owner and bunny mum and you do a fantastic job but for many people that level of dedication is simply not an option, for work or family reasons. I'm not suggesting for one minute anyone should go and leave their pets whilst they go on holiday, but I would leave a rabbit alone for the same time as I would leave a cat, eg Sat-Sun, but no longer. I don't think that makes me a negligent owner :wink:

Jack's-Jane said:
kayjay said:
Jack's-Jane said:
baobao said:
hey all

thanks

Aaron

Janex

Janex

Jane,
I couldn't leave my babies over night either! When we got engaged we went away for a day & a night :wink: , & asked a "close friend" who lived nearby to look in on Ludo (he was single then!) & give him anything extra he might need. I had the worst time ever, (okay so we were staying in the most rubbish hotel in the most rubbish city ever - no place names, I might upset someone!) I just couldn't stop worrying! Especially as you would think a friend might actually bother to text & let you know everything is fine. But no. Nothing. On returning home we realised he hadn't been visited AT ALL! :evil: Needless to say that evil wench is off my Christmas Card list et al for good!

I work from home so I get to spend most of my time with my house buns. If I'm out for more than a few hours I miss them like crazy!

x

That's dreadful, to not check on him at all, had he just forgotten or couldn't be bothered?? :x When we went away in summer my neighbour popped in morning and evening and texted me each time to say they were ok. My only criticism of her was that she was a bit too clean and 'unlitter' trained them successfully in 5 days by scrubbing them out twice a day too :roll:

kayjay said:
That's dreadful, to not check on him at all, had he just forgotten or couldn't be bothered?? :x When we went away in summer my neighbour popped in morning and evening and texted me each time to say they were ok. My only criticism of her was that she was a bit too clean and 'unlitter' trained them successfully in 5 days by scrubbing them out twice a day too :roll:

...oh dear! :)

Nope, she just couldn't bothered! I mean why say you'll take five minutes out of your day to walk around the corner to check on my little man, if you have ABSOLUTELY NO INTENTION OF DOING IT!!!! :evil:

She probably just wanted the keys to my place to riffle through my vintage clothing collection!

x

Seems I really am WEIRD then as TBH I thought these 'Bunny Home Alone Threads' were a wind up at first!!

Oh well, there are worse things to be than 'weird' I guess... :roll: :lol:

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:
Seems I really am WEIRD then as TBH I thought these 'Bunny Home Alone Threads' were a wind up at first!!

Oh well, there are worse things to be than 'weird' I guess... :roll: :lol:

Janex

..... not weird just totally dedicated, and where would all your buns be without you :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back