PDA

View Full Version : How long have you left your buns for?

Small orange giraffe
09-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Mornin all!

This crimbo were going to my boyfys dads house (about 100+miles away), we'll probs be there for 2 days (xmas eve, xmas day and coming home boxing day mid-day).

Not sure what to do, shall I leave jessica and jasper with enough food etc - we've done this before, they live free range in the kitchen at night anyway, and its a fairly big kitchen and they have all their toys and bed in there.

I could bring them with - but its about a 2 hour car journey and with the 2 kids in the car there is litterally no room for them, also the house will be packed with boyfys sister and her 3 x kids. She also has a rabbit and a dog and a hamster, which she always brings (really annoys me that altho we have 2 x buns and 2 x cats - its us that have to trek all that way and she only lives 30 miles from their dad but still brings all her animals!). So if we bring them - they'll be very scared as it'll be a different environment - they'll be all cooped up in a cage all the time with 5 x screaming kids and a dog running around!

Now that I've written this down - its seems obvious that I should leave them in the kitchen for a couple of days - that sounds really mean - but they do have tonnes of toys and houses in there and they won't get bored.

How long have you left your buns for?

Phill
09-11-2006, 09:35 AM
I've never left them for more than 8 hours without someone to check on them, when we go away my dad goes round everyday to feed and water the buns and generally check that all is ok, Rabbits health can go down hill very very quickly so they should never be left

Flick
09-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi,

We quite often go away for the weekend although since getting the Buns we have only done Sat morning to Sun evening trips away and so just left them lots of water and hay and fed them Sat morning and Sun night.

We are going to be away Fri morning to Sun in a few weeks so just going to ask the neighbour to pop in to feed and check on them on the Saturday.

For Xmas we are probably driving 2 hours to my parents for Fri evening to Sun evening visit and planning to take bunnies with us at the moment. They have a dog, but there won't be any children or too many people.

I just hope all the bunnies stuff - their big dog cage and run panels will fit into the car behind the front seats with the bunny carrier ok!

I think it is probably best they have someone check they are ok at some point each day.

kayjay
09-11-2006, 09:37 AM
When I go back 'home' to visit the folks, we generally go on Sat morning so I feed them then, leaving two water bottles, and get back Sun eve so feed and check on them then. I don't think I'd be happy leaving them any longer in case there are any probs with them.

stacy
09-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Do you have anyone that could pop their head just to check on them?

Monkey
09-11-2006, 09:47 AM
I never leave them for more than 12 hours.

A friend of mine has parents living a similar distance away and she tales them with her and takes a big dog cage along too so that they'll have somewhere to run about in 8)

Azraelm
09-11-2006, 09:48 AM
I think the problem is if you leave them more than one night, they will just eat all their food straight away, and then starve until your return.

A couple of weeks ago i was away from friday afternoon to sunday evening and so my friend popped over saturday to feed/water/check all was ok- but they'd eaten all their food both when my friend visited and when i got home and we'd both left them about 10 times their usual amount of pellets :shock: .

I think they just had a binge!

Im away again soon from a saturday morning to a sunday evening and am debating whether to get someone to pop in. For a while i thought of using one of those clockwork pet feeders as my cat has one, but have realised they'll just chew through it!

Small orange giraffe
09-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Hmm not really - all our friends live 80 x miles away. I could ask the neighbours, but they are rarely in at w/e's, I'll ask them if they having xmas at home.

Could I ask them to peer in through the kitchen window to check them, as they are likely to escape if they pop into the kitchen and don't want to burden them with catching them, esp as they won't be used to handling bunnies.

On second thoughts do you think I should take them with - or do you reckon its too much stress for them?

Sue&Sooty
09-11-2006, 09:51 AM
I was wondering about this too as I will be going to my parents for Chritmas day and might end up staying overnight. Think is my buns are outside and don't know what to do about covering them up overnight :? Don't really want to leave them covered for the whole day but it's too cold not to cover them at all.

I don't usually let them in the run overnight but maybe I could cover the run and the hutch for the time I'm away and leave them with the run of both :?

Morrigan1981
09-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Ah, this is interesting - my OH and I had a similar conversation last night! A last minute change of plans means that we are now going to my parents in London for xmas. I can't decide whether to try and get Jacob into boarding (possibly too late for that now!) or take her with me. It's a two hour drive and she can go in her big indoor cage (plenty of room for that) but I do worry about stressing her out :( I think we might end up staying in Sheffield with her instead! :D

I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my bun for more than a day (i.e. 12hrs max) without checking on her and topping up her hay, pellets and water etc.

Could you get your rabbits booked into a small animal boarding small orange giraffe? Might be worth a try.

Angie65
09-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Ah, this is interesting - my OH and I had a similar conversation last night! A last minute change of plans means that we are now going to my parents in London for xmas. I can't decide whether to try and get Jacob into boarding (possibly too late for that now!) or take her with me. It's a two hour drive and she can go in her big indoor cage (plenty of room for that) but I do worry about stressing her out :( I think we might end up staying in Sheffield with her instead! :D

I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my bun for more than a day (i.e. 12hrs max) without checking on her and topping up her hay, pellets and water etc.

Could you get your rabbits booked into a small animal boarding small orange giraffe? Might be worth a try.

Have you tried Bunnymadhouse on here? She rehomes & boards for BARC in Barnsley. They might have space?

I've left mine 20 hours before now, but I'm down to 12hours now, after finding a floppy bun just in time (She's fine now, but any longer... :shock: )

Small orange giraffe
09-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Hmm not sure I'm comfortable with boarding - I read someone's thread on here not so long ago, and it really put me off!

Small orange giraffe
09-11-2006, 10:11 AM
I've left mine 20 hours before now, but I'm down to 12hours now, after finding a floppy bun just in time

This is what I don't get - what difference does it make - is it that they don't have enough food? My buns will have plenty of space and each other for company, they aren't really cuddly buns - just very cuddly with each other, so I doubt they'll miss me too much as they rest during the day anyways, and only active in the evening. They'll have plenty of hay and water and veggies etc.

Having a neighbour look in on them (thru window) will put my mind to rest if they can see them running around etc.

I'm just wondering what they will need while I'm away, so that maybe I can do something about it?

Thinking about this is making me feel stressy - am I naughty for leaving my cats for that long too? They'll have lots of food and water and the catflap, They are quite old now so don't really do much but sleep all day!! Lazy kitties!

Jack's-Jane
09-11-2006, 10:18 AM
My personal opinion is that no-Bun should be left un-attended for more than 12 hours. I dont leave mine for more than 4 hours.
I know my life is 100% Bunnies and so maybe I have an unrealistic view.
But I could never leave my Bunnies alone for more than a few hours.
I think a reputable Boarder would be your best option.

Its not just the feeding and watering you need to consider. What if a Bun stopped eating. We all know how quickly a Bun can become very poorly.

Janex

Azraelm
09-11-2006, 10:19 AM
I've left mine 20 hours before now, but I'm down to 12hours now, after finding a floppy bun just in time

This is what I don't get - what difference does it make - is it that they don't have enough food? My buns will have plenty of space and each other for company, they aren't really cuddly buns - just very cuddly with each other, so I doubt they'll miss me too much as they rest during the day anyways, and only active in the evening. They'll have plenty of hay and water and veggies etc.

Having a neighbour look in on them (thru window) will put my mind to rest if they can see them running around etc.

I'm just wondering what they will need while I'm away, so that maybe I can do something about it?

Thinking about this is making me feel stressy - am I naughty for leaving my cats for that long too? They'll have lots of food and water and the catflap, They are quite old now so don't really do much but sleep all day!! Lazy kitties!

I think it a bit different with cats as they do not go downhill so quickly as rabbits.

Ive left my cat for 2 days before I had rabbits- with a clock work feeder so she gets her meals at the right times anyway. She also isnt greedy like my rabbits, so theres always food left when I get back.

She is locked in the whole time im away though as I want to know she is safe.

Small orange giraffe
09-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Good point!

Ok - how do I find a boarder then, can I look in the yellow pages?

My cats will be ok tho won't they?

Wizbit
09-11-2006, 10:23 AM
I would never leave my two house buns alone for longer than 8 hours without getting someone to check on them and feed/water them. However, everyone is different and Im not judging anyone before people get offended.

It's just that I have seen how quickly they can go downhill when they become ill. Also, my two are such pigs if i left them loads of food they would eat it in one go!!! I just don't think animals should be left alone... sorry :oops:

Jack's-Jane
09-11-2006, 10:25 AM
I just don't think animals should be left alone... sorry :oops:

Agree 100% :thumb:

Janex

kayjay
09-11-2006, 10:26 AM
I honestly think we worry a bit too much, after all leaving them for 8 or 9 hours during the working day they could easily deteriorate in that time yet no one worries too much about that.

I allow my buns to have a bowl of food available and they don't pig it all at once, generally if I fill up in the morning there's enough left in the evening to last until the following morning. I kind of think it's a bit like me with chocolate, if I don't get much I binge on it when I do but if it's available I know it's always there so don't eat as much. I know many people don't agree with that but my buns are healthy and at a good weight. I also leave tons of hay and again it lasts them, the only concern I have is water as they have knocked off a bottle in the past so I leave them with 2 or 3 bottles just in case. When I check them in the evening I don't normally have to give them food, water or hay if they were topped up in the morning, I just check they're ok.

I suppose it comes down to the risk you want to take with your rabbits. For some people eg Jane leaving them for more than 4 hours is too much a risk, for others leaving them Fri-Sun is ok. I've only left them Sat - Sun and at Christmas I'm trying to find bunny boarding or someone to pop in and check on them. Realistically, to find a vets anyway on Christmas day and Boxing day would be fairly difficult if they did stop eating, well it would up here anyway.

TRACEY
09-11-2006, 10:29 AM
I have a cat who is 19 so sleeps a lot and just goes out for a short while for loos and some fresh air but saying that I wouldnt leave her on her own for longer than going out say on a saturday evening and returning sunday morning coz well you never know what might happen. I think 2 days is too long without someone coming to check indoors. Someone looking through the window cant really make sure everything is ok properly IMO.

We have a boarding place close by that takes cats and rabbits :)

Tracey x

ah144
09-11-2006, 10:32 AM
i agree...Its a hard one its what you as an owner are happy and content with. PERSONALLY i could never leave my rabbits overnight as i would be in a constant state of worry and would therefore not enjoy where i was or what i was supposed to be doing as i would be spending my time worrying about them! :oops: the longest i leave them is 8 hrs ish when the working week calls!!

Azraelm
I honestly think we worry a bit too much, after all leaving them for 8 or 9 hours during the working day they could easily deteriorate in that time yet no one worries too much about that.

I allow my buns to have a bowl of food available and they don't pig it all at once, generally if I fill up in the morning there's enough left in the evening to last until the following morning. I kind of think it's a bit like me with chocolate, if I don't get much I binge on it when I do but if it's available I know it's always there so don't eat as much. I know many people don't agree with that but my buns are healthy and at a good weight. I also leave tons of hay and again it lasts them, the only concern I have is water as they have knocked off a bottle in the past so I leave them with 2 or 3 bottles just in case. When I check them in the evening I don't normally have to give them food, water or hay if they were topped up in the morning, I just check they're ok.

I suppose it comes down to the risk you want to take with your rabbits. For some people eg Jane leaving them for more than 4 hours is too much a risk, for others leaving them Fri-Sun is ok. I've only left them Sat - Sun and at Christmas I'm trying to find bunny boarding or someone to pop in and check on them. Realistically, to find a vets anyway on Christmas day and Boxing day would be fairly difficult if they did stop eating, well it would up here anyway.

I agree with you Kathryn :thumb: ( :lol: )

My workmate has very kindly just said he'll pop in and feed them when Im next away- said Id pay him the going rate for petsitters :lol:

Jack's-Jane

Yes it is a personal opinion but I believe that as animal carers we have a responsibility to the Pets in our care which is a 24/7 365 day a year commitment. I have been accused of putting my life 'on hold' for my Rabbits but I could not do things any other way. I believe that a Pet deserves as much comimitment as a child. Our Bunnies rely on us 100% and I would just feel I was letting them down if I left them unattended for too long.

Not judging anyone, just stating whats right for ME.... :)

Janex

Snowy
09-11-2006, 10:35 AM

Janex

Totally agree

I wouldn't leave my buns for any longer than 4 hours and then I would be worried about them and I certainly would never, ever leave them overnight!!!

Do you know how quickly a bunny can get poorly and go downhill, it could die an agonising death witnessed by it's partner, just imagine how traumatic that could be... and what could a neighbour do looking through a window?

Just my opinion!

Diddeen
09-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Well i often work a 14hr day at my work :shock: Its not so bad now as my bf lives with us so he is home earlier than me and lets them out etc but they are often left that long and ive never had a problem. My three will be coming with me at xmas to my mum's and if i go away for a couple of nights they go to stay with her too. :D

Azraelm
09-11-2006, 10:36 AM

Yes it is a personal opinion but I believe that as animal carers we have a responsibility to the Pets in our care which is a 24/7 365 day a year commitment. I have been accused of putting my life 'on hold' for my Rabbits but I could not do things any other way. I believe that a Pet deserves as much comimitment as a child. Our Bunnies rely on us 100% and I would just feel I was letting them down if I left them unattended for too long.

Not judging anyone, just stating whats right for ME.... :)

Janex

I know what you mean Jane, and my animals are a massive PART of my life, but they are not my whole life.

All my friends live some distance from me and if I was never to go away then I wouldnt see them. However, getting someone to feed them is a good compromise, and one I am happy with.

Azraelm
09-11-2006, 10:38 AM

Janex

Totally agree

I wouldn't leave my buns for any longer than 4 hours and then I would be worried about them and I certainly would never, ever leave them overnight!!!!

What about people that work full time?? :? Im out of the house for a minimum of 9 hours- which is totally unavoidable- should I not have rabbits then?

Jack's-Jane
09-11-2006, 10:41 AM
my animals are a massive PART of my life, but they are not my whole life.

.....thats where me and thee differ then!! :)

Janex

Azraelm
09-11-2006, 10:44 AM
my animals are a massive PART of my life, but they are not my whole life.

.....thats where me and thee differ then!! :)

Janex

Jane....my mum lives a 1.5- 2 hour journey from me, if I couldnt leave them for a period of time then I wouldnt see her :?

I wasnt talking about selfish things - but i would like to see my family and friends occassionally! And as I said I work full time, and also have a partner so they couldnt be my 'whole' life :wink:

Spacegirl
09-11-2006, 10:44 AM
I have left mine for one night before. Although I did worry about them I think they were fine - they had extra water bottles, a mountain of hay and were fed right before I left and as soon as I got back.
Do people check on their rabbits 4 hourly during the night? Mine might go from early eveing to early moring - up to 12 hours - without being checked. I just don't feel that I need to get up in the night to see them! Its fine that some people do but my personal feeling is that they survuve pretty well without my 24 hour surveillance!
To be honest, I would be more worried about leaving them at a borders that I wasnt't familiar with (with the possibilty of them catching something or being fed wrong or getting sick and it being missed anyway) than leaving them for 24 hours in their own environment.
Just MHO - no offence to anyone :D

Angie65
09-11-2006, 10:46 AM

My bun was ill. They deteriorate VERY quickly. In 12 hours she went from absolutely fine, to completely floppy & covered i cr*p. If I hadn't have checked her when I did & got her to the vets she would be dead

Small orange giraffe
09-11-2006, 11:29 AM
gosh - lots of different views isn't there! Now I feel REALLY guilty about when I leave the buns on their own overnight if I go away!

I appreicate everyones views - kinda wish I never started this thread now - lol - I just feel sooooo guilty!

Just wondering also, what do pet shops do? My local one for instance has a few bunnies - one in particular whos a really fluffy angora one (!) has been there for ages - 6 months or so. He is in a tiny weeny cage all by himself, and he is getting bigger and bigger. I'm assuming that when they close at 3pm on the saturday, nobody checks on him/the rest of the animals until Monday morning. I just feel so sorry for them, cos at least my buns have the whole kitchen to run round in and plenty of toys, houses and beds to play with.

kaskaskia
09-11-2006, 11:35 AM
I'm quite lucky in that we have a lodger, so if me and the OH go away for a few days she is always there to feed them, clean them out and play with them. But all three of us are going away together soon to visit a friend in Italy, so my OH's brother is coming to rabbit-sit for us. If he couldn't do that, I would take them to my mums.
I really couldn't leave them for more than 1 night MAX (ie Sat morning to Sunday afternoon). I'd worry too much.

Lynette
09-11-2006, 11:46 AM
hello,

hadn't even thought ahead as far as christmas till read this post and now wondering as well. Will be going home but its a 3 hour drive and have a Bunny who has only been with us 6 weeks. Just wondering whats best now as I automatically assumed we'd get oH's family to pop in but its a bit of a drive and people will no doubt have had a drink. I went away for 2 nites recentley and my OH's mum popped in every day for a while to cuddle him and give food, water etc. But still didn't sleep well knowing he was alone! considering taking him with me now but we have a massive indoor cage and would be hard pushed to fit out the door if not impossible let alone fit in the car! May have to look into a temp. cage for family home as couldn't leave him alone. I couldn't forgive myself if something happened. You worry about your house enough when your away (Break ins, fire etc) couldn't worry about him being all alone too!

Especially being alone Christmas day, how lonely :lol:

sgprescue
09-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Just wondering also, what do pet shops do? My local one for instance has a few bunnies - one in particular whos a really fluffy angora one (!) has been there for ages - 6 months or so. He is in a tiny weeny cage all by himself, and he is getting bigger and bigger. I'm assuming that when they close at 3pm on the saturday, nobody checks on him/the rest of the animals until Monday morning. I just feel so sorry for them, cos at least my buns have the whole kitchen to run round in and plenty of toys, houses and beds to play with.

They probably get someone to go in and feed the animals on the Sunday. In the shop where I work we feed and check the animals just before closing on Saturday, my boss comes in on a Sunday to do it then they are cleaned and fed first thing Monday morning. Only a very irresponsible pet shop would leave them from Saturday to Monday.

Personally I wouldnt leave any of my animals overnight without someone checking on them. I am sure most people can find a family member, neighbour or pet sitter to pop in and check on them.

Phill
09-11-2006, 01:22 PM
i don't want to offend anyone or sound as though i am shouting but would you leave a dog unattended for 24-48 hours???? No you wouldn't so why a rabbit??

youngbunny2
09-11-2006, 01:27 PM
we use a cat bowl timer unit!! it pops opn at the time you set with a bowl full of food! the longest we have ver left ours was fro saturday afternoon to sunday evening and they were fine.

Jack's-Jane
09-11-2006, 01:36 PM
i don't want to offend anyone or sound as though i am shouting but would you leave a dog unattended for 24-48 hours???? No you wouldn't so why a rabbit??

:thumb:

Janex

Ali
09-11-2006, 01:41 PM

Janex

Ill third that one :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

youngbunny2
09-11-2006, 01:41 PM
i think this is being blown out of all proportion.if your bunny is fit and well there is no reason why it should suddenly just because your away fall dangerously ill.

Ali
09-11-2006, 01:43 PM
i think this is being blown out of all proportion.if your bunny is fit and well there is no reason why it should suddenly just because your away fall dangerously ill.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH but they can Barney was fine one day gone by the following lunch time no symptoms at all

kayj
09-11-2006, 01:44 PM
I've never left mine or the dogs unless their as been someone to keep them in their routine. I would never settle. We went up to Phills for the Day and I had my mum and brother come up to keep an eye on all of them and let the dogs out at their normal time.

youngbunny2
09-11-2006, 01:45 PM
of course "they can" but it is not very likely.I have had bunnies for 14+ years and never had anything happen.

Jack's-Jane
09-11-2006, 01:58 PM
Well I guess we all have our own personal standards as to what is acceptable. Like Kay, I would never enjoy time away if I knew my Bunnies were left unattended. Sadly people often assume Rabbits dont need as much consideration as a dog when it comes to holidays etc. But I do not agree. I took on my Rabbits and in doing so made a comittment to their lifelong needs. I knew at the outset that this would mean I would not be able to go away without making arrangements for their care. My PERSONAL interpretation of 'care' is not just that they have food and water.
Again, I am not judging anyone but could not personally ever leave a Rabbit in my care unattended for long periods of time.

Janex

Phill
09-11-2006, 02:03 PM
of course "they can" but it is not very likely.I have had bunnies for 14+ years and never had anything happen.

It's very likely! All the rabbits i have lost bar about 4 have died very suddenly and within 12 hours, i woke up tuesday morning last week to find Gwen my foster dead! She was fine on monday night and dead by 7.30am! Rabbits can die very very quickly! They do not always show signs of illness and therefore you will not notice there is anything wrong until you came back after a weekend to a dead rabbit

Spacegirl
09-11-2006, 02:08 PM
I think that its unreasonable to suggest that a rabbit may die because it is left unattended for a few hours. Sadly, this can happen to any rabbit.
Some people have to do 12 hour shifts. People have children and jobs and other considerations too. It really isn't fair to imply that anyone that spends several hours away from their rabbits does not have their best interests at heart.

Phill
09-11-2006, 02:11 PM
I think that its unreasonable to suggest that a rabbit may die because it is left unattended for a few hours. Sadly, this can happen to any rabbit.
Some people have to do 12 hour shifts. People have children and jobs and other considerations too. It really isn't fair to imply that anyone that spends several hours away from their rabbits does not have their best interests at heart.

No one is implying that at all, i am mearly saying that leaving them unattended with no one to even pop there head round the door to check in on them for a couple of days is unreasonable!

Spacegirl
09-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Well, I agree two days would be different - I was talking more about over night, say for 24 hours. I just feel that this thread may make some people feel a bit paranoid or inferior.

Angie65
09-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Well, I agree two days would be different - I was talking more about over night, say for 24 hours. I just feel that this thread may make some people feel a bit paranoid or inferior.

I would love to be able to see my buns all day everyday. But I like my salary :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Snowy
09-11-2006, 02:27 PM

Janex

Ill third that one :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I'll fourth that one!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Alfie_and_angel
09-11-2006, 02:29 PM

It's very likely! All the rabbits i have lost bar about 4 have died very suddenly and within 12 hours, i woke up tuesday morning last week to find Gwen my foster dead! She was fine on monday night and dead by 7.30am! Rabbits can die very very quickly! They do not always show signs of illness and therefore you will not notice there is anything wrong until you came back after a weekend to a dead rabbit

I totally agree. I hope you never have anything happen in future too but unfortunately it IS likely. Even from reading the posts on here, I think that almost everybody has experienced the sudden deaths of rabbits who appeared healthy only hours earlier.:cry:

Of course it is difficult and for some people going away for periods of time is unavoidable. I am not keen on boarding my babies as a personal choice but I book a professional petsitter when I go away for Xmas. It is quite expensive that time of year but I wouldn't be able to enjoy Xmas worrying about them. The petsitter i have texts me to put my mind at rest and as I am paying him, I don't feel it is an imposition for me to detail EXACTLY how I want things to be done. :lol:

I have woken up to find Alfie unwell several times because being asleep is the longest she is alone for. Two of bridge buns died overnight. Lots of people notice their buns are not right in the morning - so to me, this even more supports not leaving them alone when avoidable. Unfortunately, going to sleep every night is an unavoidable risk.

Leaving the bunnies alone for longer is often easily avoidable if you know you have to be away in advance. Petsitters, boarders or friends/family. And if none of the above are availible, maybe organise with an acquantance to petsit for them when they're away and perhaps they won't mind watching the buns at Xmas. We have done this in the past also and it worked well.

Don't feel guilty because of peoples different responses though - obviously you would never want to put your buns at risk which is why you asked the question in the first place. hope you can work something out. :D

Azraelm
09-11-2006, 02:31 PM

I know people probably havent meant it that way, but yes that is how I feel now, and I didnt even start this thread.

Ive never actually left the rabbits for longer than overnight without having someone round to feed them and for the last couple of weeks I have been searching for a pet sitter for when Im next away so there is the least disruption to them- I dont want to use a boarders. I had someone booked to come round tonight to discuss it with me, but am going to cancel it (thats just reminded me now!) in favour of my work mate looking after them instead, as it is a worry allowing a stranger into your home.

I hate leaving them and spend much of my time away worrying about them- I arranged for my friends who stayed last week to come to me so i didnt have to leave the boyfriend to look after them (we usually take it in turns to visit each other.)

Unfortunately I do have a lot of other commitments- I dont think it makes me a bad bun mum. Id love to be with them all day :lol:

Edited to add: it has given me some food for thought though, and perhaps I will use a sitter/work mate when Im away just for the night in future (which is probably about once every 2-3 months anyway :lol: )

bluelop
09-11-2006, 10:39 PM
At the moment my youngest daughter is still at home, so when I go away she looks after them. But she is cabin crew so is also often away and so we have to work around her. It is difficult to find a friend that is interested in rabbits enough to agree to clean them out and feed them. Last year I had to ask the neighbours 16 yr old daughter to look after my mini lop as I was let down at the last moment by a friend. When we got back from holiday my bun was fine, but apparently the younger daughter of my neighbour had brought her friends into my garden and had broken my husbands weather station and somehow turned off the filter of my husbands Koi pond and the pump had burnt out and the pond was in a bad way. Never again, I was amazed that my neighbour had allowed it as I had paid his daughter £50 to take good care of my bun. So now if my daughter is away, we don't go!!! Pam

lucyj
10-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Harly's myxi symptoms came on so, so fast, and it was vital 2 get him on meds straight away. If Id of left him frm a sat aft 2 a sun nite Id of prob came home 2 a very sick bunny - so yes, it can happen, and it happens fast. I dont think any1 is really saying people who work shouldnt have rabbits, - but thr is a big difference between doin a 12 hour shift and leaving ur bun alone for 24 - 36 hrs.

I work as well, this week Im working every day as doin loads of overtime, min 7 hrs shift max 10 hrs shift, BUT I am here 2 feed and water thm and check thy'r ok morning and nite (and at the mo do their med's 2). 1 time had 1 cpl of nights away planned with the bf thn realised my mum was away at the same time - refused 2 go as was not leavin buns, in end got my step-mum 2 do it, but I would not have left thm no matter what. If Im away thy still have someone here evening and morning as tht is wht thy r used 2.

norrielian
10-11-2006, 10:22 AM
gosh - lots of different views isn't there! Now I feel REALLY guilty about when I leave the buns on their own overnight if I go away!

I appreicate everyones views - kinda wish I never started this thread now - lol - I just feel sooooo guilty!

Please don't feel guilty, it is totally obvious that you care and love your bunnies as much as everyone else. There is no right or wrong, just individual opinions! I leave my bunnies overnight no problem.

I'm sure if we could, we would all love to be able to check on our rabbits every 4 hours but a lot of people work full time and it just isn't possible. It does not mean that we are less committed to them or they are less cared for.

youngbunny2
10-11-2006, 12:14 PM

exactly! :D

Caz
10-11-2006, 01:30 PM

No simply because my dogs would try and hold onto their pees and poos for that long and would be very unwell and the dogs' food doesn't keep but rabbits that are litter trained can relieve themselves and hay will last for days.

Rabbits can survive perfectly happily without pellets as long as they have plenty of hay and/or access to a secure run with plenty of grass, I have yet to find a bun that can munch through all their hay that quickly. In fact it does more harm than good to leave a large quantity of pellets out as they gorge themselves and then can become unwell with loose stools etc.

I have left mine overnight before Saturday morning to Sunday evening and they have been fine, even my sickly buns yet Athena passed away during the night when it had barely been six hours before I had seen her last - I don't think there was anything I could have done to prevent her death even if I was an insomniac.

Where stasis is concerned a rabbit can go downhill rapidly but plenty of available hay and avoidance of triggers (banana with Zeus) and they will have a stasis free time, my rabbits certainly don't seem bonded enough to me to get stressed by my leaving, however a change of scenery could do more harm than good as I found out when my parents took them for 24 hours during the house move! In my case there is noone rabbit savvy enough I would want to check on my rabbits if they are being left for a weekend, the last person who tried to help me out fed my rabbits stuff that made them ill instead of just doing the checks they were supposed to!

The only time I have been away longer my in-laws took care of them and all that amounted to was a once a day check for 30minutes with some hay/pellets/water added to their runs as appropriate, now I live too far from them I have been checking out a local boarding place, where they would be checked more regularily.

I love my animals but at the end of the day they are pets and my human family have to come first.

Caz

Adele
10-11-2006, 02:14 PM
Hiya, I think that everyone has a different perspective on what time span is acceptable to leave your rabbit unattended for.
There are no right or wrong answers, just as long as you base your decisions on common sense.
My own view, having cared for many rabbits , is that if we are planning to be away for more than 4 hours, I get someone in to do a visual check of all the rabbits. From years of bunny care experience, I have learnt that rabbits go downhill so rapidly, and need urgent intervention if they should get gut statis for example.
My perspective may be different to someone with only a couple of rabbits in their care, we have 36 here, many of whom have special needs and are more prone to problems than normal.
I feel that bunnies do need at least two checks a day, every 12 hours in any circumstances.
What the individual decides to do is entirely up to them, but I would not leave rabbits unattended for very long, as I have found time and time again, that being on the spot to sort things out quickly really makes a difference should rabbits become ill.
I dont want to make any one feel guilty for not being able to do what I am able to do though, as long as you do your best, that is all anyone can expect of you.
Best wishes

bluelop
10-11-2006, 02:48 PM
That is very true. Everyone has different lifestyles and at the end of the day we can only do our best. If some bunny owners have to work long hours or have lots of family commitments, they are in a totally different situation to someone who is home all the time. I think we just have to weigh up things and do what we all feel is right for ourselves. We all love our buns or we would not spend time on this forum. It would be great if we could always be there for our buns, but life is not always straight forward is it?

kayjay
10-11-2006, 03:15 PM
I personally there's a whole spectrum of bunny owners as there are bunnies and what's a 'risk' for one person may not be for another. I think people like Jane and Adele who have elderly and sick bunnies in large numbers have a different perspective to someone with a couple of 'pet' bunnies and this is understandable.

On one end of the spectrum there are the owners who don't check on their bunnies at the end of the garden from one day to the next :x and on the other we have people who live with them and check on them 4 hourly. I think as long as we are providing good care and food for them I honestly don't think they suffer if I check on them once a day or leave them for a 24 hour period. But then I have to accept the unlikely scenario of them getting ill, although I do think that could happen from 5 pm on a Saturday night when I feed and check on them through to say 10 am on Sunday morning when I see them again once I'm up and dressed.

I think this thread's been really useful to see different opinions and situations so 'small orange giraffe' don't feel guilty about starting, I think we all enjoy an 'argument' as long as all opinions are respected and we can learn off each other.

SarahP
10-11-2006, 05:32 PM
I'm of the 12 hour opinion too. I work full time, but the longest my animals are ever alone for is probably Christmas Day, when we're out with family from morning till evening. Any longer and they have to go and stay with someone.

Karly
10-11-2006, 05:55 PM
For those asking what the difference between leaving an animal 8-12 hours overnight and for a few days..yes, it's unreasonable to expect every single owner to check their animals every few hours around the clock. I personally need at least 6-8 hours of sleep a night to function and will very rarely be able to wake up in the night if I set an alarm. But I'd never leave my animals for a few days without someone to check on them.
Yes, bunnies can drop ill any time - Joey died the other day after being fine the very same morning. However, there's the fact that a few hours can make a big difference, and the off-chance of passing by the bunnies when one begins to get seriously ill gives them a much better chance of survival than if you're not there at all.
For example, say a bun developed GI stasis overnight. If you home, it may be 8 or so hours before you notice, but there's a high chance that you'll check them in the morning and discover it, and be able to rush it to the vet for treatment. If it developed the exact same problem, the night you'd just left to go away for 2 or 3 days, it will be left for a lot longer and there's a much greater chance of it not making it as it's not got that treatment.
Yes, it may be fine, but I'm a big believer in avoiding "maybe" circumstances. Some buns may be fine if left in a non-fox-proofed run, but those that have been caught by foxes are enough to deter me from trying it. Some female buns may be fine and not get uterine cancer if they're not spayed, but I'd like to give Nina all the chances she can get.

Aliandbuns
10-11-2006, 06:14 PM
I'm off to my parents for Christmas this year and the bunnies are coming too - yay! :D I wouldn't want them to miss out on the carrot and brussel sprout peelings from Christmas dinner! :lol:

Hells
10-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Whereabouts in hampshire are you?

I might be able to pop in for you if you are not too far???

x

beckiboo186
10-11-2006, 07:18 PM
I feel like a 'weirdo' reading this ... We're going away Friday morning til late Sunday night ... and i've got the bunnysitter coming in 2-3 times each day :oops: :oops: X

Jack's-Jane
10-11-2006, 07:20 PM
I feel like a 'weirdo' reading this ... We're going away Friday morning til late Sunday night ... and i've got the bunnysitter coming in 2-3 times each day :oops: :oops: X

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Janex

beckiboo186
10-11-2006, 07:22 PM

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Janex

Whats that for jane, Its a good idea .. or yes i am a weirdo?!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: X

Becca
10-11-2006, 07:28 PM
I am out of the house 12 hours a day.
A few months back i fed my bunnies at 6.00am and all was fine.when i returned home at 6.00pm one of my bunnies was ill.I rushed him to the vets and he had GI stasis.Luckily he was fine and recovered the next day.
God knows what would have happened if i had been longer.
Now my mum and dad come over every lunch time to check on them.

AliBenMummy
10-11-2006, 07:44 PM
Before Alice's health problems started I would leave my buns overnight with lots of hay and dried food to keep them going. However I would also ask my neighbour to check on them and give them their veg.

Now, I wouldn't dream of leaving them even overnight but this is due to Alice's health problems and she is prone to stop eating with no warning. If this happened then she might not be with us when I got back.

If I'm going away now to parents I always take my buns and they enjoy their little holiday. If I can't take them with me I use a boarder where I know they are safe and will be checked on.

My bunnies are not my whole life, but a lot of life has definately been on hold because I won't leave Alice. It's a sacrifice you make to own any pets, buns are the same as dogs, cats any other animal and they should not be left on their own for long periods of time. I think overnight is ok but anything longer is not providing proper care for your pet.

Beaney
10-11-2006, 09:32 PM
It has taken me ages to read through this in full! It has been really interesting to read everyones opinions!

My animals are the main reason why I am thankful that I still with my parents at 26! My Mum doesn't work so whilst I do all the actual 'care' my Mum will do a check every few hours and in the summer she watches them out of the window (they have a shed for the winter so not so easy to see!). When Austin was ill, I rang her from work every hour to see how he was :oops:

I have never left mine longer than about 8 - 10 hours and that has been when I have been out for a day (with parents so my Mum can't cover for me!). They are checked first thing before I go and then as mine is outdoors, I usually ask my neighbour to pop her head over the fence to keep half an eye. I do the same for her dog (who has a kennel in the garden) when she is out for a day. I also have to walk her dog so she does get the easier deal!

I wouldn't feel happy leaving them longer unattended but a lot of that is because I keep my animals in a routine and I hate to disrupt it! I had a riot on my hands when I was late coming out with the veggies when the clocks went back :shock:.

kiri
10-11-2006, 10:16 PM
"i don't want to offend anyone or sound as though i am shouting but would you leave a dog unattended for 24-48 hours???? No you wouldn't so why a rabbit??"

Sorry guys but dogs are different to buns, it doesnt mean they are lesser animals, or less loved just have different needs. A dogs pack is his human familly and he relies on the not just for his food and water but his companionship, his entertainment and love and importantly his excercise(plus toilet issues already mentioned).
Rabbits see their rabbit mates as their familly and get love and companionship from each other and if they have suitable housing they also can take excercise without human assistence, unlike dogs. buns really dont need us as much as dogs do! sorry.
My buns have loads of space, personally Id be happy to leave them 24hours but my neighbour can visually check them and I could get friends in for longer periods, so not so much of a prob.

Of course I think this is a whole different conversation if we were to be talking about single buns or those without adequate housing or someone to do visual checks.

People can make their own desicions as they alone know each buns personality/health etc. But this also means people need to live with the consequences if things do go wrong.

xEMMAx
10-11-2006, 10:44 PM

Awww don't worry Becki, I'd do that too!! :D Nearly did it this week but silly pet sitter let me down last minute :roll: Luckily I have a helpful gran :lol:

I couldn't leave my buns alone... after seeing how quickly Jasp went downhill with stasis that really scared me :shock: I'd just worry all the time :roll: