• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Woodgreen animal shelter and run size UPDATE

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
My sister is adopting two rabbits from woodgreen (godmanchester one) :) ....

But on the guideline leaflet it says the attached run needs to be AT LEAST 10ft x 5ft x 4ft high :shock: They only ask for a hutch 5 x 2 x 2 so I wonder why they are insisting on such a big run?

Ive never seen any on sale for that size, so you'd need to get it specially made :? .

The hutch and run combo she has brought is pretty big- 6 x 2 x 2 hutch, with a 6 x 4 run.

Crikey...seems like a very big run!! Think that's bigger than most of the rabbits on here would have! :?

My poor bunnies only have a 6' x 5' run...does that mean that they're hard done by? :( :oops:

can you even buy ones that big? mine is 7ft by 6ft and 4 ft high and shop I got it from said I wouldnt find a bigger one anywhere without having it specially made

Seems a bit excessive to me - it's not really reasonable to expect people to have to have a run especially made.

My friend Caroline runs the Rabbit Residence rescue which is fairly near to Wood Green, she also insists on a 50 sq foot run (not 4ft high though :shock: ). I guess each place has their own policies and justifications; maybe the Cambridge region have all agreed on a similar standard? Caroline's justification is that she believes that the more space you can give to bunnies, (both room to run around when they want to, and room to give them things to put things in for them to do), the happier they will be. She spends a lot of time with each potential adopter explaining why she requires certain things, and does seem to do really well on the adoption front even though, as you say, normal pet shop runs don't normally get made in those sort of sizes. My runs are made from the PWS panels which I have framed out with wood :D Really sturdy and much cheaper than buying one!

Re: Woodgreen animal shelter and run size

Tamsin said:
mandy said:

:shock: How big are their bunnies!

:lol: :lol: Maybe as big as the one that was in my run the other day!! :lol: :lol:
RIMG0880.jpg

Re: Woodgreen animal shelter and run size

Tamsin said:
mandy said:

:shock: How big are their bunnies!

Thats what I said! :lol:

My sister said they dont have very many rabbits there, so perhaps they can afford to wait for someone with a 10ft run? :shock:

I think in an ideal world all of us would give our rabbits a mahoosive run, but it seems silly to turn down a fantastic home which my sister will give them because they are insisting on something which is far more than most rescues ask for.

And she also has an enclosed garden and is at home all day so they'll get some free range time.

Well Ive said if she fails the home check then I will arrange for her to have two from Kirkby :)

That's ridiculous, I bet they don't home many rabbits then - many gardens round here aren't big enough for that size run :?

oh and BTW the ones she wants to adopt are a lionhead and a mini lop so perhaps they might not be so insistant on that size?

60 sq ft does seem a lot to me and I think a lot of people don't have that sort of space and when you think about what size hutches and runs your average crappy petshop sell it seems a lot.

Just to update-
my sister had her homecheck yesterday and all went well so she is picking them up in the next few days :D

Back