• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When to cut nails? U/D - successful trim

Flick

Alpha Buck
Hi,

How do I know when my bunnies are due for a nail trim?
We have had them nearly 2 months now and they are mostly indoors so wondering if their nails will need a trim soon?

Thanks.

Hi Felicity! :D they probably will need a trim by now....are you brave enought to do it yourself? If so buy a pair of good clippers and perhaps get Dan to help by holding the bun...just cut off the sharp tip of the nail...you will be able to see the "quick" of the nail inside on the white nails..avoid cutting this as it will bleed quite a lot. ..on dark nails you have to be more careful ....
If you don't fancy doing them yourself your vet should do them for a small fee.

ooh

I'm not sure whether we will manage it... :shock:
Depends if we can keep hold of them long enough! :oops:

Will perhaps have a go, but I can see it being one nail a day!

Will let you know how we get on.

Polly has hairy neck again now - hurray :D

Re: ooh

Flick said:
Will perhaps have a go, but I can see it being one nail a day!

That's how I do it! Although I did get to do all of Evo's front ones the other day when o/h distracted him with a head rub. I normally cut them when I see them poking through his fur when he's sat still, not so they'r epast the end of the fur, just before then.

Thanks

Thanks! OH is at work tonight but will see if I can persuade him to hang on the bunnies whilst I have a go in next few days. Don't think it's something I can do on my own.

Will have to try and have a feel of a nail when they are hanging out of the cage looking for their veggies later!

Difficult to hold them for long as they aren't keen, but using a towel does seem to help!

Happy Hopping said:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=33143

see this link. You don't need a torch, you can shine it under the sun, and can tell the blood line.

Bless you, but this is England, we don't have sun :lol: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tupperwarequeen said:
Happy Hopping said:
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=33143

see this link. You don't need a torch, you can shine it under the sun, and can tell the blood line.

Bless you, but this is England, we don't have sun :lol: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Almost the same here. I have to turn on the light at around 1 pm today. It's heavy snow and very cloudy. How many hr. of day light do you guys get in the winter?

Over here it's about 8:30 am to 4 pm. if it is sunny

Bunny nail cutting all went ok - got it done today. They were both very good :D

Not looking keen:

photo098c.jpg

Relaxing afterwards:

photo108.jpg

Think my bun's nails need clipping soon as he's an indoor bun and we have had him two months. They are quite dark nails though - although I should manage I was a vet nurse in my youth. lol. although back in those days buns were considered very exotic!! and we didn't see many!!!! hard to believe now.

Think my bun's nails need clipping soon as he's an indoor bun and we have had him two months. They are quite dark nails though - although I should manage I was a vet nurse in my youth. lol. although back in those days buns were considered very exotic!! and we didn't see many!!!! hard to believe now

Fortunately Polly and Sybil's nails were all white/light - making it easier for me :lol:
Good luck with yours!
Bunnies exotic :shock: how interesting!

Lol yes, I know ( re: exotic) I think we only had one lecture on 'small animals' when I did my training!! shocking really - I'm sure it's all different now!!

jazzel69 said:
Lol yes, I know ( re: exotic) I think we only had one lecture on 'small animals' when I did my training!! shocking really - I'm sure it's all different now!!

Suprisingly no :( alot of vets still class bunnies as exotic and a couple of people I know have done small animal care courses and taught very little to do with buns or gps..not even sexing :(

Back