• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Has anyone's bun had pneumonia?

toffee

Mama Doe
A couple of weeks ago I came home to find Michelle laid out against the wall in the bunny room breathing very quickly. When I picked her up she was all floppy and she weed all over me. My OH said she'd be fine but I was straight on the phone to the vet who said to bring her in straight away.

The vet diagnosed pneumonia and put her on IV fluids and IV Baytril. She stayed at the vet for 2 nights. Now she is right as rain and has been separated from her 2 friends (I suspect stress was the cause of her illness as she used to get chased a lot) and she seems much happier.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had a bun with pneumonia as I didn't think a bun would make such a good recovery as Shelly has. Misdiagnosed perhaps? Or correct treatment in the nick of time?

I wonder because if it was something like snuffles I can expect a recurrence but pneumonia isn't likely to recur is it?

Yes I had a bunny with pneumonia, sadly he didn't recover though he had alot of other problems and the pneumonia was just too much

I had a bun with pneumonia and sadly he passed away. It was diagnosed early but had obviously got chronic pneumonia and sadly he died within 36hrs and was on penicillin for it.
So hopefully and fingers and toes crossed shellly will be fine :D

bun with pneumonia

HI :) when i got my Smudge (he's the black/white bunny in my sig) he had pneumonia :( he was very very ill for nearly 4 weeks :( he hovered at deaths door :( I really just think that he wanted to survive so much that he just fought back :) my vet was amazed that he did survive as she didn't give him a chance :( now he "snores" which is quite loud BUt he is 8 & this happened when he was only 8 weeks old :( he sometimes gets a bit sneezy which i give him baytril injections for (my vet lets me keep this for him) I feel blessed to have him with me :)

Hi.

I've had two with pneumonia and this is a bit strange. They don't normally
recover that quickly :shock: :shock: If they recover at all.

One had very similar symptoms to yours and passed away in 2 days under vet treatment. The other one got a crackerly chest and always made a full recovery and lived to a great age of 9 years but could not be out in damp weather or cold weather.

I think they use some names like pneumonia as a general diagnosis, it could have been something else but the treatment worked.

I would keep a very close eye on your bunny especially i the cold damp weather and if he/she is getting on in years.

Glad to hear all went well.

Maureen

Back