• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can bunnies catch colds? U/D

xSarahx

Warren Scout
...Ludo refused to come inside yesterday, even though it was really cold. He's a house bunny but he loves playing outside with the wife, no matter the weather!

Anyway, since last night he's been sneezing & washing his nose. Is it a bunny cold or something? How do I treat it? He seems fine in every other way. :?

x

You need to take him to the Vet today
Bunnies dont catch colds as such but they can get respiratory tract problems due to Pasteurella (Often refered to as 'snuffles') Changes in temperature can trigger the condition and it needs antibiotic treatment as there is a risk that the 'snuffles' in the upper respiratory tract can move down into the lungs causing pneumonia. This is obviously a very serious illness which can be fatal.
Antibiotics often do not completely kill off the bacteria but the snuffly symptoms resolve. However, the Bun may always be prone to flare ups at times of stress or concurrent illness.

Janex

Thank you Jane!

You are always so quick to reply! You are a Godsend!

He has an appointment for this afternoon. Anything I can do to make him feel better in the mean time?

Also, can the wife go with him to the vets? He hate's it ever since he had "the op".
x

xSarahx said:
Thank you Jane!

You are always so quick to reply! You are a Godsend!

He has an appointment for this afternoon. Anything I can do to make him feel better in the mean time?

Also, can the wife go with him to the vets? He hate's it ever since he had "the op".
x

I am sure the wife can go along too!!
As long as Ludo is eating and pooing then you dont need to do anything until he is seen by the Vet.
Good Luck!!

Janex

Well, it's good news!

Ludo is fine!
Took him to the vets that afternoon (he was not happy - the wife pushed him to the front of the carrier so he couldn't mope at the back, meaning the Notthemama & I got to look at his sulky little face the entire time we were in the waiting room!)
Typically enough he didn't sneeze from the time we put him in the carrier, until the time we got home! The vet was lovely (as ever) & gave him a proper checking over. He said Ludo looked in fine form & was in great shape for a middle aged man! He thought it was funny that Ludo totally hates being put in a trance & much prefers being carried about like a "fashion pet" Chihuahua! :lol: He gave him an antibiotic injection & I have some Baytril for him to be on the safe side.

Since then Ludo's only sneezed a couple of times & he's as cheeky as usual!

So thank's again, ladies! :D

Sorry for the delay in replying, but now I'm the one with lurgie! :roll:

x

...Me again!

Ludo has been on Baytril since we saw the vet last week. His sneezing has been reduced but it's still occassional.

The vet seemed to think it was more likely to be an allergy to something rather than an infection based on the following;

* his eyes, nose & mouth are all totally fine (vet checked with his torch-type-thing!)

* he mainly only sneezes when he's in his cage or pen area, never outside in the open air or in a different room to his house.

* he is bright eyed, bushy tailed & totally fine in every other way!

* he only occasionally gets a bit of clear snot from each nostril when he sneezes.

The vet asked if we have been giving him any different bedding. Ludo had been having a different type of hay for a couple of weeks before the sneezing started.

Also (and his probably sounds really silly) he mainly sneezes after he's been grooming himself. Could he be allergic to his own fur?!! :shock: He's moulting heavily at the mo & it make me sneeze too!

So yes, the new hay or fur, any ideas bunny parents?

x

Back