• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood in urine??

nicolar

Mama Doe
Hi

I have noticed for past couple of days that Amy's urine has been quite a red colour - I know that they can have varying colours of urine so wasn't too worried but kept an eye on it. Tonight I noticed what I thought looked like 2 small blood clots (they may have been something else but not sure what though!). We are booked into the vets 2moro evening (not my usual vet but thought I should get her checked out as soon as). She isn't usually one to have different coloured urine and I haven't changed her veggies lately.

Anybody any ideas or had anything similar? She is entire so obv am worried that if there is blood it could be uterine cancer, but that was one of things I knew about though. Am sure could be a number of other possibilities, I'm guessing the vets will prescribe antibiotics first off + want to test her urine.

Nicola

Oh dear :cry:
As she is an entire Doe blood in Urine , particularly clots is a big worry :cry:
I think if she were my Bunny I'd seriously consider an emergency spay. Also a chest X-ray to check for Metastisis and thereby give a longer term prognosis.
I have had a 10 year old Doe survive such an op' Hope I am WRONG and it is just a wee infection......
Please keep us posted

Janex

Yep I will do, I'm hoping that my thoughts are wrong too and it is something much simpler! I've been thinking about a spay too if vets recommend it, I have a few days off next week so then would be best time but obviously if it needs to be done sooner it can be (these things always happen when something else is going on! I'm looking after a friends dog at mo so staying there, not back home properly til Monday :()

I knew that this could well be a possibility in my decision not to spay, was always in back of my mind but I was just too worried about the risks of anaesthesia when she was younger - in hindsight I should have had it done but hindsight is a wonderful thing!! well nothing I can do now re. spaying earlier, will see what the vet says tomorrow + will be keeping everything crossed it is just an infection! I mentioned 'clots' earlier - anybody who has seen them in a bunny, would you say they are small? I'm just not sure I know what I was seeing, though I'm pretty sure!!

Nicola

The 'clots' I have seen in the wee of a Bunny with a bladder infection (cystitis) and Buns with bladder stones are sort of long and stringy rather than clumps of a jelly-like substance.
Hope all goes well at the Vets today

Janex

Thanks for the advice. Vet says she has cystitis, she has a very painful bladder on examination bless her. So we have Baytril and back on Monday for a check up.

So now need any other hints and tips on how to make her feel better and more comfortable? Also how does a rabbit get cystitis?

Nicola

Ouch!! Cystitis is nasty!!

Lots of fluids will help flush the bacteria from her bladder. So wet veggies are good. Some Vets recommend Cranberry extract for Buns with Cystitis.
You add it to the drinking water.
Cystitis in Bunnies can occur due to 'bladder sludge' (build up of calcium carbonate in the wee) or a poor fluid intake/slow bladder emptying

Janex

Thanks Jane. Yes my friend had it last week, touch wood I've never had it but I can imagine it must be very painful!

I was thinking of adding some unsweetened cranberry juice to the water, do you think that's OK? Brought her some greens on way home so will wet them.

Poor little girly, have just heated up her Snugglesafe so she has something nice + warm to sit on. Also just looked on Galen's Garden website + brought some of their Uriinary Tract tincture.

Nicola

nicolar said:
Thanks Jane. Yes my friend had it last week, touch wood I've never had it but I can imagine it must be very painful!

I was thinking of adding some unsweetened cranberry juice to the water, do you think that's OK? Brought her some greens on way home so will wet them.

Poor little girly, have just heated up her Snugglesafe so she has something nice + warm to sit on. Also just looked on Galen's Garden website + brought some of their Uriinary Tract tincture.

Nicola

Who'd be a woman/Doe..... :roll:
I am sure unsweetened cranberry juice will be fine.

*goes off to look at Galen's Garden Urinary Tract Tincture*

If I have to come back in another life it'll be as a MAN!!!..... :roll: :roll:

Janex

Yes we do get the rough end of the deal most of the time!!! The tincture looks quite good and I'm sure it can do no harm as all looks natural. I will either get some cranberry extract or unsweetened cranberry juice 2moro, whatever I can find!! She is very bright in herself though, eating well (practically ate my finger as well as the leaf of greens!) and generally being normal Amy so that's good.

Thanks for your help as always Jane, you're a bunny angel :D

Nicola

Back