• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Biting rabbit

GringoPete

New Kit
Hi, I am fairly new to rabbits, I was given two rabbits as a birthday present from my wife. They are now 8 months old. A male and a female. They have both had the snip. They are both very friendly and run up to me when I go into their shed, the male seems to lick me constantly which we think is sweet, but the female although very friendly to me, tends to try and nip my wife! Is there anyway to stop this?

thanks in advance

Peter

http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/pdfs/BitingHandlft_05_05.pdf#search='aggressive%20rabbits%20rwa' this leaflet may help you.

If I have any rabbits in foster care who tend to be aggressive, I do not allow the rabbit to think I am frightened of them. I will talk to them all the time I am trying to deal with them whether I am in their territory or elsewhere. I dont take away food bowls unless I have given them a new one etc! I also dress so that I dont need to be frightened of them ... gloves, wellies, coat etc .. if they bite or attack I wont get hurt. Most will calm down given time and once tey realise that you are not going to hurt them.

the female is not really really aggresive, just walks over and has a nip, not a full on bite. I am not scared of her, she never nips me. I think it it funny but the wife doesnt.

Mhairi does this if I'm not paying her enough attention, i just tap her nose and say no.
She also nibbles my jumper is she wants snuggled in.

one of my rabbits, Emily who is just over 1 yr old has recently started nipping, and has caught me a couple of times, ive noticed she only does it if she is in her crate and if i try to touch her bed for some reason (shes very protective of her bed LOL :lol: ) I have found though that she tends to bite more if you just put your hands in the crate to take the food bowl or move something without giving her a nose tickle first, so I think she does it for attention. :lol:
So I now tend to put my hand in and give her a nose tickle straight away while i move or take her bowl out with the other hand, that way she is so preoccupied with tickles she doesnt react or try to bite atall.

One of my girls has started doing this to me too. Its awful. I think its the bad weather personally, though I have no evidence to back this up other than the fact that all of my buns seem less playful just now and a little irritable from time to time. Hmmm they are all a mystery.

I'm also interested in the replies to this

Fiona x

Lavender went through a nipping stage when she was a house bunny. When ever I went into the rabbit room she would be around my feet then just go in for a quick nip.

She is quite a dominant bunny and someone suggested making more of a fuss over her. So everytime I went into the rabbit rooom I called Lavender first and made a bit of a fuss before talking to the other buns. Seemed to work.

Was also told to squeal out when she nipped so that she knew it hurt.

Rabswood

Back