• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Timothy hay...whats the difference

Isabel

Warren Veteran
Ok so I am, I afraid guilty of not really understanding hay. Untill recently I would have said that my two would be happy with anything...then I finally managed to get goo dquality meadow hay and the difference was amazing. However... Timothy hay is another matter. What is the difference between this and normal meadow hay? Should I be feeding them on Timothy instead or is it just a brand name?
Isabel x

Timothy hay is a bit coarser and better for their teeth than meadow hay as it helps to wear the teeth down. But it all depends what your bunny will eat. I feed a variety of good quality hays just to give them something more exiting. All good quality hays are good for bunnies and are roughly the same nutrition wise *I think*

sparklefairy said:
Timothy hay is a bit coarser and better for their teeth than meadow hay as it helps to wear the teeth down. But it all depends what your bunny will eat. I feed a variety of good quality hays just to give them something more exiting. All good quality hays are good for bunnies and are roughly the same nutrition wise *I think*

So would I be ok to carry on with the meadow hay? I can't really aford the Timothy, although I'm sure its cheaper and less stress than getting their teeth sorted but neither have teeth problems so far (touch wood).

you could just continue with the meadow hay, or maybe just get a small bag of timothy and make it go further by mixing a little in with the meadow just for variety :D

OK where to start :)

Meadow hay is a mix of common grass species which can in some cases include Timothy.

Timothy is the common name for a hay Species its latin name is phleum pratense.

Timothy is a species that is high in digestable fibre but also low in sugers and calcium. Hence why it is the recommended feed hay for not only Rabbits but also cattle and horses (PF4P sells over 30 tons a month to the UAE for race horses)

Timothy comes in 2 types dependant on the season. a course first cut (acid green / gold in colour, course stems and leaf with seed heads intact) or a soft second cut (dark green, light brown in colour with very soft broad leaf, very little stem or seed heads) 2nd cut tends to be slightly higher in sugers than the first cut (due to sun exposure)

Timothy tends to be grown best in in the americas (USA and Canada) due to its climate, but also grows well in austrailia (very course hay) or Africa (again fairly course hay, Africa can also get 3 cuts per season 3rd cut is normally used of pellets, makeing into grass meal)

Even though Timothy is a native species of the UK it does not grow to optimum status due to our changeable climate. Imported Timothy will also have a much lower moisture level than british grown hays due to optimum drying methods employed in the states.

I hope this helps.

sparklefairy said:
you could just continue with the meadow hay, or maybe just get a small bag of timothy and make it go further by mixing a little in with the meadow just for variety :D
Thats a good idea. I'm currently mixing the cheaper hay with the meadow hay, my front room is starting to look like a barn :lol:

IsabelM said:
sparklefairy said:
Thats a good idea. I'm currently mixing the cheaper hay with the meadow hay, my front room is starting to look like a barn :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Gypsy and Storm have turned my bedroom into a stable :shock: they do love to spread their hay across the floor :? :lol:

Bunnybasics said:
OK where to start :)

Meadow hay is a mix of common grass species which can in some cases include Timothy.

Timothy is the common name for a hay Species its latin name is phleum pratense.

Timothy is a species that is high in digestable fibre but also low in sugers and calcium. Hence why it is the recommended feed hay for not only Rabbits but also cattle and horses (PF4P sells over 30 tons a month to the UAE for race horses)

Timothy comes in 2 types dependant on the season. a course first cut (acid green / gold in colour, course stems and leaf with seed heads intact) or a soft second cut (dark green, light brown in colour with very soft broad leaf, very little stem or seed heads) 2nd cut tends to be slightly higher in sugers than the first cut (due to sun exposure)

Timothy tends to be grown best in in the americas (USA and Canada) due to its climate, but also grows well in austrailia (very course hay) or Africa (again fairly course hay, Africa can also get 3 cuts per season 3rd cut is normally used of pellets, makeing into grass meal)

Even though Timothy is a native species of the UK it does not grow to optimum status due to our changeable climate. Imported Timothy will also have a much lower moisture level than british grown hays due to optimum drying methods employed in the states.

I hope this helps.

wow yes it does, I was just about to ask the difference between first and second cut...I need a bigger house! Thank you

Bunnybasics said:
If you all look on ebay, and do a search for Timothy hay, there are a few bargins to be had on there atm

LOL OMG just looked on ebay. It is really cheap but I don't think i'd be able to store a bail in my flat. although, stick a nice bit of mdf on top and you've got yourself a lovely country style coffee table!

Back