• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

gungy eye

kate

Warren Scout
I got home for lunch & Jack has a really gungy eye :( .

I've made an appointment for 3pm at the vet. He's fine in himself, eating, pooing fine, he's doing binkys just now but his eye looks awful, all the fur is matted around it & there is white pus :( .

Do you think taking him to the vet on the bus (takes bout 45 mins - 1 hour) would stress him out & make it worse? He's usually ok with it for vaccines. Or should I get a taxi?? Bit reluctant too cause of the cost but don't want to make him worse!! :?

He got on ok, he's been given eye drops to take for the next week then the vet will take another look at him. His eye's still looking a bit gunky but he's still fine in himself, he's charging about just now :D .

The eye drops he's been given are Tiacil Ophthalmic Solution, has anyone used this on their rabbit? I just noticed it says on the bottle its not for use in rabbits :?.

Thanks for that link :D.

I just looked at the label again & it says "not for use in rabbits intended for human consumption" :oops: ... there's a label over the second part so I misread it!

I don't plan to eat Jack :shock: so it should be fine to use!!! 8)

kate said:
Thanks for that link :D.

I just looked at the label again & it says "not for use in rabbits intended for human consumption" :oops: ... there's a label over the second part so I misread it!

I don't plan to eat Jack :shock: so it should be fine to use!!! 8)

Phew! Lucky Jack! :shock: :lol:

Just wondered what you use as bedding for Jack, as Clover got a gungy eye when I was using shavings - I think they made her eye itch, so she rubbed it up really badly. When I switched to megazorb she was fine. :)

Hi, he just has newspaper and hay for bedding as he's indoors.

It seems to have improved a bit already, there's no obvious white gunk today, hopefully after a week of the eyedrops he should be much better :D.

:wave: i have a bunny currently on these!...along with every other day injections of depocillin..white gunk has stopped now just watering :roll:

Yes my rabbit has just finished a course as he has a ruptured tear duct and it got a little infected. Seemed to clear the infection up. Wish it could have solved his tear duct problem but looks like he may have to have operation to remove it. Bless his heart.

Vincent had a very poorly eye when he first came to me and my vet prescribed tiacil, one drop in the affected eye twice a day. It improved within a few days - sending get well soon vibes to Jack!

Smudge had a course of Tiacil not long ago. She had somehow managed to get a piece of hay in her eye and it went all red and gungy :(
When we took her to the vet he also gave her a painkiller injection to make her more comfortable.
It cleared up really quickly. No problems since. I think she figured out she needed to close her eyes before burying(?sp) her head in the hay, silly bun! :)

Nicola

Back