• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nail clipping

LizJ

Warren Scout
I've just booked Asta in to have her nails clipped at the vets - she's a house bun and doesn't have much chance to wear them down.

The vet have said it will be £18.50 - does this sound like a reasonable cost? With all the different posts about vaccination costs, I'm starting to think my vets is a little expensive. Just wondered what you guys pay to have nails clipped.

It sounds like they are charging you a consultation fee. My vets have nurses clinics which are free. Over the years I have become more confident and now clip my buns nails myself, but it can be tricky so definitely best to get help if you aren't sure.

Ive never got mine clipped at the vets, always done it myself so i cant comment on how much it costs. Hopefully though once theyve shown you how to do it once or twice you will feel able to cut them yourself.. if not there may be someone nearby who could help you do it. Cheryl who runs a rescue near me will clip claws for a donation to the rescue so maybe you could find someone like that near to you??

animusuk said:
I'm petrified of doing it myself so I always take them to the vet, they charge me £2.46 per bun :)

Thats a lot better than £18.50 :twisted: :twisted:

animusuk said:
I'm petrified of doing it myself so I always take them to the vet, they charge me £2.46 per bun :)

Are you scared of hurting her? :? I do my buns nails, Takes 5 mins and is dead easy X

Becki - Yep, I tried to do Crunchie's once, she jumped everytime I clipped one, I felt terrible scaring her :( she's always very good for the vet though :D

I haven't taken a bun to the vets for nail clipping for ages, apart from last time I took Evo for a dental, I asked them to do it then. It's pretty easy to do yourself, maybe you can get the vet to show you where to cut, so that you can do it yourself in future.

animusuk said:
Becki - Yep, I tried to do Crunchie's once, she jumped everytime I clipped one, I felt terrible scaring her :( she's always very good for the vet though :D

She might be able to feel that your nervous? :? That was what Till was like the first time but after she new i was Ok with it and i just held onto her until it was over she was fine. As an alternative you can put a towel on the table, put some food down for them and just lift up each paw, think thats what i'll do with Boo cuz she's a livewire :roll:. X

P.s. I think somebun is trying it on a bit!! :roll: :lol:

beckiboo186 said:
animusuk said:

She might be able to feel that your nervous? :? That was what Till was like the first time but after she new i was Ok with it and i just held onto her until it was over she was fine. As an alternative you can put a towel on the table, put some food down for them and just lift up each paw, think thats what i'll do with Boo cuz she's a livewire :roll:. X

P.s. I think somebun is trying it on a bit!! :roll: :lol:

Noooooooo!!!!! She ain't coming near me with them things! She'd probably take my entire leg off!!!!!!! :shock:

Last time vet charged me £16 or £18 but that was 2 get both boys claws clipped, £15 for the first consultation and a couple of £s more for the extra 1.

Im thinking of starting doing it myself at home, they dont really like getting their nails cut but Honey absolutly hates the vet, for anything even jst a check up, he gets himself in a right state, so Im gonna give it a go myself.

We normaly do Bella's and Benji's, but I dont like doing them :shock: I hold them while Shane clips, I would much rather have someone else do them, the noise the cutter makes makes me feel ill :cry:

Princess Tilly-May said:
Miss Munchie said:
Noooooooo!!!!! She ain't coming near me with them things! She'd probably take my entire leg off!!!!!!! :shock:

:shock: Munchie, I never realised you were a ... wuss :shock: :lol: :lol: Hugs. T-M X

:shock: :( Aww, you big, stinky poo-head, I'm telling my mommy :(

:lol: :lol: :lol:

£18.50?!!! :shock: :shock: I took lily to get her nails done last fri and it cost £16 for her nails and her myxi vacc! sounds awfully expensive to me.

Fiona xxx

Triple post!!! sorry think my fingers getting a bit excited, keeps pressing submit button. :lol: :lol:

Fiona xxx

Where in London are you?
I am in Hampton, Middx ( SW London)
I'll trim your Buns nails for free if you can get to me!!

:D :D

Janex

Back