• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nail clipping

LizJ

Warren Scout
I've just booked Asta in to have her nails clipped at the vets - she's a house bun and doesn't have much chance to wear them down.

The vet have said it will be £18.50 - does this sound like a reasonable cost? With all the different posts about vaccination costs, I'm starting to think my vets is a little expensive. Just wondered what you guys pay to have nails clipped.

I have been doing it myself for the past 8+ years. For my birds and my bunny. It's a very simple job:

You just want to make sure that you don't clip into the blood line at the center of the finger nail.

To avoid that, all you need is to cut just a little bit at a time assuming the nail is long, say cut about 1 to 1.5 mm.

To judge if the nail is long, feel the curve w/ your finger, if you can feel the end of the nail is really curves down, it's time to cut it. You only need to cut using the 1 - 1.5 mm rule, once every 2 mth. or so.

If the bunny is nervous about the cut, just do one paw at a time, with a several hour gap per paw.

Oh, make sure the nail clipper has a reasonable gap, oridinary nail clipper is meant for human nail, there are larger nail clipper that has a 5 mm gap, that's the one you want to buy.

Back