• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jake Probably Has Diabetes Insipidus

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
His huge water consumption (up to 1000ml a day) returned and so Christobel tested his wee. This showed a VERY abnormal specific gravity which means his Kidneys are not concentrating his wee properly. This may be due to a receptor problem on his Kidneys or a hormone problem.
Jake is to start on a drug called Desmopressin which is administered via drops in his eyes ( :shock: ). He will have to have his wee tested once a week to ensure it is not becoming too crystalised as that could lead to Kidney Stones. Jake is 'well in himself' but as Diabetes in Rabbits is rare, and Diabetes Insipidus is MUCH rarer than Diabetes Mellitus, the long term prognosis is not really known.

Janex

Hi Jane, that is very sad news for Jake but there is hope :D
I used to have a dog with the same problem, you need to find out if his kidneys are responsive to antidiuretic hormone (ADH) if they are then it can be controlled with vasopressin (desmopressin, DDAVP) if not then it's nephrogenic DI, in which case he may need indomethacin, hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) and amiloride.

I don't know if these treatments are safe for rabbits but they really helped my dog.

Best wishes for Jake

animusuk said:
Hi Jane, that is very sad news for Jake but there is hope :D
I used to have a dog with the same problem, you need to find out if his kidneys are responsive to antidiuretic hormone (ADH) if they are then it can be controlled with vasopressin (desmopressin, DDAVP) if not then it's nephrogenic DI, in which case he may need indomethacin, hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) and amiloride.

I don't know if these treatments are safe for rabbits but they really helped my dog.

Best wishes for Jake

Thanks for that info :thumb:

Janex

Back