• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Thinking of using a pet sitter

Azraelm

Wise Old Thumper
...next time Im away but am a little concerned about letting a stranger have my house keys :?

Ive sent off a couple of e-mails with some questions to some Ive found. One said they are all police checked.

What are your thoughts on this??

I met a woman who does this, she was lovely and seemed to really love it.

I do however understand your concerns, I think I would be the same tbh :? I guess if you go to a big company that has insurance etc.. it might be a bit safer :?

loopylop said:
I do however understand your concerns, I think I would be the same tbh :? I guess if you go to a big company that has insurance etc.. it might be a bit safer :?

Thats what I was thinking, its a shame someone like the RSPCA/local vets etc do not do it, but the ones Ive found round here on the net seem like small, independent ones so am a bit unsure.

I'll get you the number of the one my sister uses in Nottingham.

My sister had a previous pet sitter who she sacked. She came back from a week's holiday to see all the food for her cat, two chinchillas, two budgies and aquarium still on the table :shock: Her chins were out of food and water totally but were ok, her cat had luckily had access to the outside via a catflap so had self provided, her budgies were thin but alive but nearly all her fish were dead. On ringing up the girl (who had worked for the RSPCA) she said she hadn't realised it was that week, despite my sister ringing up the day before she left to check all was ok. She was left to assume the girl just forgot :evil:

Going on from that she does use another pet sitter but just gets a neighbour/family member to pop in after a day to check they've been. She also rings the pet sitter up midweek to check all is ok.

Thanks so much Kathryn, I was wishing I had a reccomendation!
I really think it'll be much better as I have my cat and both buns, and no doubt some foster animals so it will be less disruptive for them all.

Last time I was away my friend popped in and fed them, but its quite a distance for her so I cant ask too often.

I'll insist they come round first so I can show them how the animals need things done and interrogate their knowledge of rabbit care and illnesses :lol:

OMG at your sisters experience :shock: :x I would be absolutely furious!!! Would be interested if you could find out the name of that one and PM me please so if anyone asks me I can make sure NOT to reccomend them :eek:

I am already worrying about holidays next year... If I go away on my own/with friends then my Mum does the looking after and she is great but if we have family holidays.... it is tricky!

In the summer, I left my rabbit in the care of my neighbour which is what I have done for years and there has been no problems... This year though - not good. Came home late on a Sunday and poor Austin was filthy. He is not always brilliant at keeping himself clean as he has arthritis but she had just left him in a state. I had warned her and she said she would be happy to give him a clean if he needed it - but obviously hadn't. I cleaned the worst with the plan of giving him a full bath on the Monday (as it was very late Sunday). Monday morning - MAGGOTS! The most horrid thing I have ever seen is flystrike. I still have nightmares about it now. Luckily I got most off of him, straight down the vet and he made a full recovery. Made me realise that I had I been on holiday for just one more day I would have come home to a dead rabbit :(

Will definatly be looking for recommended boarding from now on. I don't blame my neighbour as she just didn't understand the importance of them being clean - especially in the summer. I blame myself for leaving him with her..... :(

I can understand why you would like a sitter - much less stressful but I wouldn't be comfortable with someone coming into the house without recommendations from someone.

Back