• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

flea treatment on a baby bunny?

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
hi

please can anyone help? I was just playing with scarlett and noticed she has quite a lot of fleas. they seem to have come out of no where, I brush her everyday but I didnt notice any last night.

I have had a problem with fleas not long ago. The neighbours cat keeps going up to the hutches and passing on fleas. I only just got someone in to spray the house for me because they were everywhere :(

I dont know what to do I cant stop these cats from coming into the garden!

I have spent so much money on spraying the house in the last few months, Im getting so mad (not at my animals by the way, the woman next door). I have even been putting frontline on one of the cats next door because the owners wont sort it out. but I cant get near the other cat because its really crazy and attacks quite bad.

I get that you cant stop your cats going into other people garden but at least I make sure mine is treated for fleas and not passing them to other peoples animals.

Scarlett is a really fluffy lionhead and I have been trying to comb them out but I cant!

I have some advantage but I probably cant use that on her can I, she is 12 weeks old.

or does anyone know any homeopathic remedies that I could use on her?

I havent checked trip and malibu yet because they are hiding in boxes (fireworks next door) and I dont want to get them out until its stopped.

Sorry I am going on a bit its just really starting to upset me, I feel all dirty and really bad for my poor bunnies :cry:

I cant actually find the box anywhere, it must be here somewhere though I wouldnt have thrown it away

thanks for replying :D

The best thing would be to call you vet up and just have a word over the phone to confirm the dose/product. You'll need a flea comb to catch them that way as normal combs aren't fine enough. Have a bowl of water with a bit of washing up liquid next to you and when you catch on dip it straight in that so they don't jump off.

It might be an idea to pop a note though your neighbours door mentioning that your rabbit has had fleas and as her cats sit next to the hutch suggest she gets them treated. That way it doesn't sound like you're blaming her ;)

How do the cats get in? If it's over the fence you can get rubbed strips of spikes that don't puncher the skin but make it uncomfortable to walk along.

Tam

thanks tamsin. I will give the vet a ring.

It might be an idea to pop a note though your neighbours door mentioning that your rabbit has had fleas and as her cats sit next to the hutch suggest she gets them treated. That way it doesn't sound like you're blaming her

She knows her cat has fleas. Thats exactly what I did when I first noticed them, before I knew they were coming from her cats. She said hers didnt have any. But my brother checked them and they have loads :shock:

I have mentioned it a few times now, not blaming her just saying my bunnies have fleas and she really should make sure that they havent jumped onto her cats. She admitted they had fleas and said 'animals get fleas, its not the end of the world'

I gave her some frontline and 2 cans of spray for her house (I just said I had brought too much) and she said she doesnt want to put chemicals on them. To be honest I think she just doent care and cant be bothered to deal with it.

Also the guy on the other side has been in to her to mention that her cats should be treated, they keep passing them to his cat and dog.

If it's over the fence you can get rubbed strips of spikes that don't puncher the skin but make it uncomfortable to walk along

they dont come over the fence. they go round to the gate and come through there or they jump from their shed to the wall at the end of the garden then onto our shed (this wall already has those spike things) and its really high we wouldnt even be able to get to it!

they sometimes are on our doorstep too and try running into the house, we dont leave the cat flep open anymore

Back