• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fits in lionheads

Not got anything breed specific and was not aware of a connection :?
I would imagin any Rabbit, regardless of breed, from a line with a history of seizures could be effected. Congenital heart disease can cause fits in some Rabbits, although Respiratory problems are a more common symptom.
Prevelance of EC in a breeding colony is also a possibility.

Janex

There is a known problem in the US and many breeders (from what I've heard anyway) are working together to eliminate the problem. I heard that someone was doing a database of purebred lionheads that have had seizures and trying to trace bloodlines to a source. I haven't heard anything since spring though.

Here's some info from a US breeder site:
http://lionheadrabbit.net/epilepsy&Lionheads.htm

naturestee said:
There is a known problem in the US and many breeders (from what I've heard anyway) are working together to eliminate the problem. I heard that someone was doing a database of purebred lionheads that have had seizures and trying to trace bloodlines to a source. I haven't heard anything since spring though.

Here's some info from a US breeder site:
http://lionheadrabbit.net/epilepsy&Lionheads.htm

Thats really interesting. I had no idea that there was a particular problem with Lionheads. I'll let my Vet see that info :thumb:

Janex

Interesting, Im quite sure my lionhead has had a few fits before. Didnt know if was anything to do with the breed and I havent seen her have one since she was about 4 months old, quite scary at first but she was absolutly fine afterwards.

Thanks for the link, ive just rehomed a baby lionhead cross and the new owner has said hes had a couple of fits. She had heard there was a problem in some lionheads and wanted some more info on it. val

Just read the link too, my lionhead just kept jerking not full on fits then when it stopped she was totally fine. She was 8 weeks old then. I wouldnt worry too much about it especially if your already shows no signs from the article it seems to start at a young age and I suspect mine has grown out of it. Its not life threatening at all just need tomake sure a cage has no sharp bits etc, which you would anyway. :)

is there any info on related breeds such as netherlands?
(i have had experiance with two rabbits who had fits both of which were nethies)

Been trying to find out more, its inherited thats for sure. The only other rabbit breed ive come across is blue eyed white beverens. These have a problem with fits. There are of course many illnesses that will induce fits as well, theres too many to mention. While were talking rarer problems in rabbits is there anyone who knows of any info on thyroid gland problems in rabbits?. This i do know is very rare but i know of a rabbit that may well have a problem with its thyroid gland. It has been unable to loose weight , its grossly overweight and dieting has no effect at all. The vet is thinking of testing for thyroid. val

Maxxev, from the link I posted: Idiopathic Epilepsy is a problem in certain bloodlines of Dwarf rabbits in Europe and to a lessor extent in Dwarf Rabbits in England.

Back