• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

flea treatments - Please help v confused

Hi there, it is confusing but personally I would steer absolutely clear of anything unless it is recommended by your vet. I cannot emphasise this strongly enough as I have heard some real horror stories in the past.

And, in fact, I have to confess to not even liking using those recommended by the vet, I got some once cos we found a flea on Polly when she was being examined before she had her myxi jab but I could never bring myself to use it, took it back and got a refund. I tend to use the homeopathic Assisi grooming lotion on the buns, more in the summer obviously, to repel any pests. Also, I have lavender or eucalyptus essential oil in a diffuser to make the atmosphere unpleasant for them and, of course, it is nice for us. Just as an aside never ever put any essential oils anywhere near your pet!

Hope this helps.

my vet told me that you shouldnt use flea treatment on rabbits unless they actually have fleas, or one of your other animals have fleas. If you do you are just putting chemicals on them for no reason.

And only use one that the vet reccomends, he also told me that rabbits can have bad reactions to some flea treatments

I would not use either, the only safe one for rabbits is advantage which you can usually only get through your vets.

Unless your rabbit has flea's then I dont see the need to do it, unless you have cats and dogs that regularly get flea's then better to treat the cats and dogs as a preventative measure :wink:

i would use the same preventative that i use on all my dogs and cats if i think they may have picked one up or been somewhere there were fleas.
a regular thorough comb through with a metal toothed flea comb. you cant get safer than than as far as i know :wink:
tikki , my dog, did get some a while back and he gets a dreadfull allergy, he ripped out all his hair from the shoulders back in the course of 2 days :shock:
it took time and persistence (and one good bath leaving the froth on for 10 minutes, just using a mild shampoo and the skills of my classical homeopath) and they are all gone, and his hair has grown back :D
i will not use the chemicals on him or any of my animals as tikki suffers from hepatocutaneous syndrome (a chronic liver disease) and i will not compromise his chances of survival by exposing him to these chemicals.
(note, i dont know if it would harm him, but i am not willing to risk it.)

my problem is, i am a vet nurse (in training) and as I am working the weekend shift Rosie has come on holiday with me.

im really worried as we have had 4 myxi rabs pts this weekend already adn i had a flea on me earlier. although she is in a large kennel and is not roaming around, i did let her walk around the room all of last night and im so scared she will have been bitten.

she is 5 mths and had her myxi vacc in july, i just dont knwo what to do? she hasnt had any direct contact with the myxo rabbits, but i have had to hold all of them down to pts them (im the only nurse here and the vet cant do it on her own.)

ive washed my hands etc really well, but i knwoits flea bites that pass it on!!

i have a cat as an inpatient so it may be her fleas, but i cannot be 100% sure,

rosie has had a few scratches around her ears but im not sure if it was a tickle or something more nasty.

ive flea combed her and i am just getting hairs out, no fleas or flea dirt so im a bit worried and stuck!!!

Back