• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bloat...any ideas?

Fionabun

Mama Doe
Hi there.

I have had problems off and on with three of my buns recently who have developed bloat/GI stasis.

Last night Nell was hopping like a dafty around the garden, exploring everything and getting up to all sorts of mischief with her friends.

She went back into the run which had been all cleaned out. They were all fed their small amount of veggies and pellets as per every other night at that time. Literally 10 minutes later I checked on them and there she was, flat out in her litter tray, tight sore tummy, panting, all 'drawn in' around her ribs. I whisked her in and started all the belly rubs and Infacol. She did well overnight thankfully, started eating and pooing and joined the rest of the gang again this morning.

What are your experiences of the causes of bloat?. Twice it has happened to her recently. I didn't catch it so early last time and she ended up much more unwell and on the road to gut stasis. She got a dental the last time as there were some sharp edges to her teeth though just precautionary really.

She hasn't had any changes to her diet. Hmmm, any ideas would be appreciated. Its scary how quickly it develops. Could she just have a sensitive tummy?

Fiona x

Aww poor Nell. I have never had to deal with bloat *touches wood*
Maby she is more sensitive that your others.
I know Dougal and Mhairi can eat enything and never had bloat *touches wood again*
I know with me it's stuffing my face :lol:

Was it true bloat.? ie could you feel a hard distended stomach? (upper middle of belly just below ribs)
It sounds as though Nell had a mild 'colic'. What Veg do you feed. Veg from the cabbage family can cause problems with some Bunnies.
As you say this is a recurring problem I suggest you discuss it with your Vet.
Glad Nell is now feeling better :D

Janex

Hi again. Thanks for replies.

I see what you mean Jane. Maybe I have got this wrong. Is there a difference between a rabbit who has a lot of gas and a rabbit who has bloat? I struggle with the definitions. I think some vets use that word too freely too.

Nell just felt hard all over her tummy/abdomen. I could feel quite a few gas pockets which I worked away at. I've never been able to feel gas like that before.

Yes I will be discussing it with vet.

Hmm, I have possibly offered a bit too much of the cabbage family recently (spring greens in partic). I will go even easier on these. Blooming nora these bunnies aren't easy!

Fiona x

My vet said stress is another thing that can cause it. At the time my mini lop went down with stasis I had brought home two baby buns. I had not introduced them but their cages were next to each other and they could see each other. I did wonder at the time if it could of been the stress of new rabbits that upset him. I guess most of the time we will never find out what has caused it. Would be nice to know though, as they put us through heaps of stress when they are ill, don' they?

Sounds a bit like what Lenny had last week. He was fine one minute then not the next. He kept wanting to lie down, wouldn't eat, he was gasping for air and grinding his teeth. He went to the vets for the night and they said he had over eaten and given himself colic. His stomach felt very hard and he was obviously in pain. I know some people on here are confident enough to treat their buns themselves but I've lost one to GI and I don't know enough to feel confident to treat mine at home, plus as Lenny was obviously in pain I wanted to get some meds into him asap - typical though that he waited til 19:05 to show symptoms as calls to the vet are classed as out of hour emergency at 19:00! :roll:
Before that trip I didn't actually know rabbits could overeat :?

I can't give mine cabbage or cauliflower as it gives them wind :oops: - both salt and Bobby have had to have infacol and tummy rubs after them. Mine have a fairly bland diet, to be honest, with not huge amounts of variety. They are fine with spring greens, sprouts, carrot tops, carrot and celery, with the odd bit of apple and grape, and of course grass.

Thanks for all replies. I will discuss it with the vet. My bunnies are making me very paranoid these days!

Fiona x

Back