• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alternatives to Hutches

Jonny

Warren Scout
I have decided to keep my three new bunnies in the garden shed with a run attached.

I have also purchased a 6 X 2 X 2 hutch, but it takes up too much room in the shed and I'm now thinking of putting it to one side for the time being, until I build a new outdoor pen next summer.

So should I get another small hutch for the shed... or would a box lined with shavings and straw suffice for them to sleep in?

A box in fine :) You could consider building a wide shelf across on end/side - rabbit like sitting on top of hutches more than inside I think :lol:

I think it depends on the rabbits, one of mine loves sitting in the hutch in the shed, it has no bedroom door on (Parsley Den from P@H) so she can go in and out. The other one prefers to be out and hopping around, and snuggles up occasionally in the hutch.

We still have our 5ft double Hutch in our 8x6 Shed. It just gives them somewhere else to go instead of the Hutch Floor... :)

I thaught you might like to see what I have just had built for my rabs, I had the run built onto the side of my shed. Inside the shed they have a hutch mounted on bricks, with underfloor heating. I also have installed an electric radiator out of reach of the rabs to take the chill out of the air. All cables are armoured. They access their run through a cat flap.

PICT0830.jpg

PICT0834.jpg

are they the most spoilt rabbits in the world??

Wow! They certainly must be the most spoilt rabbits about ... unless someone else know differently!

GringoPete said:
I thaught you might like to see what I have just had built for my rabs, I had the run built onto the side of my shed. Inside the shed they have a hutch mounted on bricks, with underfloor heating. I also have installed an electric radiator out of reach of the rabs to take the chill out of the air. All cables are armoured. They access their run through a cat flap.

Wow that run is amazing and their shed sounds warmer than my house with underfloor heating and radiators :lol: :lol: Lucky buns

Did you build that run or have it built for you?

GringoPete said:

Wow! Can I move in?

GringoPete said:
I got a builder to build the run. It took 2 blokes 6 days to complete.

:shock: I bet that didn't come cheap, think my buns will have to stick to the normal run and thick fur and hay for winter rather than underfloor heating :lol:

I think I may have gone a bit over the top, but I was worried about the cold, since reading other threads I realise now that rabbits cope very well in the cold and it is probably not necesary. I wanted them to come and go as they wished when we were at work. Also I made sure it is dug well into the ground so a fox or dog could not get in. Yeah it did cost alot, but they are worth it!

well, its about 17ft from the shed to the end of the run, and the narrow long bit is about 3ft wide and as it comes out of the shed is about 6 or 7 ft wide.

It is constructed of timber embedded in the ground in concrete, the wire mesh is super strong and is embedded about a foot into the ground. I hope you understand what I mean, it is hard to explain without a diagram.

GringoPete said:
well, its about 17ft from the shed to the end of the run, and the narrow long bit is about 3ft wide and as it comes out of the shed is about 6 or 7 ft wide.

It is constructed of timber embedded in the ground in concrete, the wire mesh is super strong and is embedded about a foot into the ground. I hope you understand what I mean, it is hard to explain without a diagram.

That is one brill set up, very impressed :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Back