• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding Advice

Jonny

Warren Scout
Have ordered in some Allen And Page Natural Rabbit Pellets and some Oxbow Timothy Hay from www.bunnymail.co.uk.

I was thinking of giving my new bunnies (just over a week now til they arrive!) some pellets in the mornings and then some fruit and veg chopped up in the evenings, whilst making sure there is always enough hay for them to nibble on.

Does this sound OK... or should they get the pellets twice a day?

I think most people give a small amount of pellets twice daily. You don't need to chop the veg up, they'll sort it out :D . Are they young? Young rabbits should have much more food-upto seven months, then after that it's about 25g per bun per day depending on the size of the bun.
Hope that helps.
ISabel

They're about a year old or so. Are fruit and veg essential in addition to the pellets? Was talking to a friend who just feeds his on hay and pellets.

I think the ideal diet is loads and loads of hay, small amount of pellets and small amount of greens per day. Apparently spring greens are best. Fruit and sweeter veg such as carrots should be fed sparingly. Other favourites are wallpaper and card board boxes but mine are house rabbits so they have vast quantities of wallpaper to get through :lol:

IsabelM said:
I think the ideal diet is loads and loads of hay, small amount of pellets and small amount of greens per day. Apparently spring greens are best. Fruit and sweeter veg such as carrots should be fed sparingly.

Thats my take on feeding rabbits. But I feed a bit more veg.
Hay, veg and then pellets. Fruit as a treat.

You can feed loads of diffrent kinds of veg. I'll find a link for you hang on.

I feed mine a handful of A&P in the morning with a leaf of spring green each, and a little celery. They get a couple of sprouts around midday and then pellets and carrot tops and half a carrot each in the evening.
I have to be really consistent with their diet or a couple of mine have tummy troubles :roll: .
I'm very lucky that all mine absolutely love hay and will happily sit and munch for hours :D

Back