• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone have this hutch /run?

:shock: Crikey!! That looks HUGE Although whats the betting there is a little bit of clever camera work involved too :wink:

It looks quite good I think :) Def think your piggies would be happy in there. Its not tongue and groove .. but i guess it's a really good price for the size. :) X

I have got one.

DSCN4060.jpg

DSCN4051.jpg

The sides are made of plywood so I painted the whole thing in a wood preserver then have a scratch and newton hutch cover on the top part. I would be very wary using it for guinea pigs. The hutch is 2ft off the ground so quite a way for them to climb up. The ladder that comes with it is far too steep and as you can see from my pics I had to prop it up with a washing up bowl to make it suitable for the bunnies. I think you could probably easily adapt it so that the run was attached to the front of the hutch instead :thumb:

I'd love one of them. It wouldn't be suitable for piggies though - ramp is too steep without anything to stop them from falling off.

I have one although I got him to make the run a foot longer. I am very happy with it. It certainly isn't as substantial as a solid wood one but it does the job fine and at the price is excellent value for money. Ditto with the ramp. I did have problems with delivery but it got sorted. I would advice though to check it thoroughly when delivered as the couriers are not great and they seem to get thrown around a bit :?

I had to adapt the ladder which is in there two tier hutch because it was too steep
If i put sides on it would it be ok?

I would say its still too steep but I guess it depends on how agile your rabbit/piggie is. If they're good at rock climbing then . . . :lol:

sorry no good with piggies but that hutch is :love:
i saw something on the net once about a ramp being too steep for piggies so the owners got some strong mesh (like the front of bunny hutches) and made a large mesh tunnel round the ramp so the piggies couldnt fall off, as it is only the ramp could you make a sort of 'L' shaped ramp with a small platform half way so they done it in 2 stages? (that doesnt really make sense but i know what i mean :wink: :lol: )
like i said no good with piggies so i might be talking a load of c*** :lol: :lol: (nice hutch though :D )

here are some pics of some meshed ramps

http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=523&password

sgprescue said:
The sides are made of plywood so I painted the whole thing in a wood preserver then have a scratch and newton hutch cover on the top part. I would be very wary using it for guinea pigs. The hutch is 2ft off the ground so quite a way for them to climb up. The ladder that comes with it is far too steep and as you can see from my pics I had to prop it up with a washing up bowl to make it suitable for the bunnies. I think you could probably easily adapt it so that the run was attached to the front of the hutch instead :thumb:

I just bought this off of ebay last week (I got it for just £95 + del - which I think is a good price). Thanks for the advice re the steepness of the ramp though. Do they manage it well with the washing up bowl, coz if so I will do something similar!

Still need to find fit young man to help me put it together :wink:

I think I'd be worried about the plywood, without proper protection it could get damp very quickly. I have a run with plywood sides that I bought at easter and I'ce already been compemplating replacing it!!! :shock:

I'm a bit concerned about that too, (my current hutches are T&G - but still not 100% waterproof so have tarpaulin over them) but I thought with the money I saved I would buy a Scratch and Newton hutch hugger / cover, however I think I read somewhere that they had gone out of business (certainly can't get onto their website anymore!!) :roll: This is jusst typical of my bad timing!!! I think I will have to look into some kind of home made tarpaulin set up for waterproofing - puts thinking cap on!

Willow_Warren said:
sgprescue said:

I just bought this off of ebay last week (I got it for just £95 + del - which I think is a good price). Thanks for the advice re the steepness of the ramp though. Do they manage it well with the washing up bowl, coz if so I will do something similar!

They can easily manage to get up and down the ladder with the bowl at the bottom. I managed to wedge the top of the ladder in the hole so that it doesnt move :thumb:

somehow I managed to put mine together on my own :shock:

touie said:
I think I'd be worried about the plywood, without proper protection it could get damp very quickly. I have a run with plywood sides that I bought at easter and I'ce already been compemplating replacing it!!! :shock:

It is quite thick plywood but I was also a bit worried about it rotting. Thats why I painted it first then covered it in a hutch hugger :wink:

sgprescue said:
Willow_Warren said:
sgprescue said:

They can easily manage to get up and down the ladder with the bowl at the bottom. I managed to wedge the top of the ladder in the hole so that it doesnt move :thumb:

somehow I managed to put mine together on my own :shock:

Oh thanks, well hopefully mine will arrive next week and I will put it together at the weekend, and have a hunt around as to what I can rest the ladder on... thanks for the advice!!! :D

p.s. do one of the standar sized Scratch & Newton covers fit this? If so someone may still have one is stock?

Back