• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

cold ears>>

youngbunny2

Mama Doe
I have been told by a breeder that they tell if their buns are cold by feeling the tips of the ears,is this an effective way of judging if their too cold??as you wet their ears in the summer to cool them down it would make sence really??

Well, AFAIK the buns ears work as a device to cool them down. Given the large surface area, and the veins that run close to the skin, it is easy for the blood to transfer heat out, to the environment, so the ears will always feel much cooler than the rest of the bunny. How cold they feel is probably more to do with the surface area of the ears, the temperature of the blood to start with, and the amount of blood being pumped around.
It might be easy for a breeder to check many buns of the same breed by comparing the ear temps at an one time (if one is a lot lower temp than the others, then that signals a problem), but on a single bun, given the factors that can influence the temp, I don't know how reliable it might be... :?

if the temperature drops, then my rabbit's ear would be cool or cold. One night around 5 am, the temperature of my bedroom drop down to 12 C, I woke up and turn on the oil heater. At that moment, I feel her ears and it's cold. Of course, her body is warm.

But if you look at human, just like bunnies, there isn't that much blood travel to our ears, so in the winter, if you can removing snow in your garden, your ear will be cold but your body would still be warm.

When I had Robbie neutered my vet said I could check his temp by feeling his ears and paws..if both were cold then there was a problem..however have found his ears are normally cold..especially as they normally end up in his water bowl! Paws are normally fine..if he lets me near them..or generally just get through the fur!

????? My bunnies always seem to have quite hot ears!!!!

Is that unusual???

(By the way they are all house bunnies)

Back