• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccination Prices

Abi

Young Bun
Hi All,

We have just made an appointment to get Dylan vaccinated (he is a house bun, but we do go out walking a lot and worried about carrying something in on our clothes).
They have quoted us £41.42 just for the myxi jab... does that sound about right?

Thanks, Abi

Um that sound pretty extortionate to me! I was charged about £40 for two Myxi vacs, which included a small animal consultation because it was my first time at the vets and they gave them a health check and sexed them. Then a few weeks later they had their VHD vaccinations which was about £30.

Hope this helps.

I go to a large vetinary practice, and I have just had Harry's Myxi and VHD's done. The myxi consultation included a health check and sexing and cost £14! The VHD he had Tuesday cost £12, so I do not know where they got their price from!!!!!!

I think you ought to ask them why it is that expensive, and perhaps shop around.

Julia

That's a rip off, mine cost £8.95 and VHD £11.95 and our vets aren't cheap, they charged £70 for a spay. I would say ring round all your local vets to find cheaper.

At that price, they're certainly not encouraging people to vaccinate their buns are they :roll:

Hi Abi! Yes that does sound extortionate just for the myxi, have a look at this thread here too: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=32930&start=0

Maybe it's worth ringing up to confirm that you have understood them correctly, because you've found that price is pretty much over double what most people seem to pay??

You're quite right that a house bun is still at risk - myxi is carried by biting insects and I'm sure you've been bitten in the house by a mosquito or gnat before now, so house buns are definitely still at risk. VHD can also be carried on shoes and clothes so a house bun is at risk from that too :cry:

Good luck!

It's the vet that Dylan's previous owner took him to - she said she thought they were a little expensive. I think we will shop around though - can anyone recommend anywhere in Edinburgh?

My guess is that they've quoted for an initial consultation fee on top of the Myxi fee! If I see a vet other than my own I sometimes get charged a consultation fee on top of everything else which really annoys me!

I had a Myxi and 2 VHD's done yesterday all with checkups that came to £45 total

Hiya!

I suspect that is the vet I use as that is exactly what I pay!

I find them very expensive, but they've been worth it, the staff there are fantastic & always very very good with small creatures! If it is who I think it is they do a pay monthly scheme for vaccinations where you pay a small amount every month & get 2 myxi vacs, a vhd vacc & 2 6monthly check ups, it works out a bit cheaper!

Having said that, I am shopping around for somewhere cheaper & as good in Edinburgh, partly cos I've moved to the other side of town & partly cos they're so expensive!!! :?

I'd be interested to hear other recommendations too if anyone has any! :D

Mine costs me £36 for both mxyi and VHD think it's £18 for myxi on its own, this was the cheapest in my area I rang round loads of vets to get quotes some were incredible (i.e. £56 for both) the vets i'm at are great. They are really helpful and offer great care maybe you could just try ringing round to other vets for a good idea of prices of that area. Mine cost has increased by £8 since moving from bath to reading.

I paid about £38 for 2 bunnies to have myxi vacs. VHD was cheaper - about £20 for both.

I use Armac Vet Group near where I live, but they also have a practice in Edinburgh, It costs around £13 for myxi jab.
Armac Vet Group
128 Comiston Road, Edinburgh 0131 452 9277

we found another vets not too far from us, that offered the vaccination and consultation at half the price.
We took him today and she recommended he got the VHD first since we go walking a lot and he is a house bun so less likely to contract myxi.

I was impressed with the practice and receptionist seemed competent and were very friendly.

Not noticed any side effects from vaccine and he is running around as normal.

Thanks for your help.

£40!!!! :shock: :shock:

The vet I'm going to tomorrow does myxi for £12 which includes a health check :D

Back