• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When to spey? First time owner needing advice

SeanG

New Kit
First of all, hello. I've been lurking around for a while since getting Phoebe, our dwarf lop, back in August. Here's a pic of Phoebe in version 2 of her hutch/run.

Feebs.jpg

As you can see, she is an outdoor rabbit and has her hutch permanently open to her run (the run now has a roof too). This was basically because she wouldn't wee/poo anywhere but the corner of the run. She has also just started to moult and so presumably will be getting her winter coat soon.

I would like to get her a bunny friend to keep her company as she has suffered in the attention stakes due to another recent arrival.

And so to the point. After reading many posts on this forum I understand that it is best to get Phoebe speyed before attempting to bond her with another bun. Also, she is nearly five months old so it's about time anyway.

Do I need to wait until she has stopped moulting completely (if so, how long will this take?) and post-op will she need to come indoors for awhile or will she be OK outside?

Thanks in advance

Sean

I think it would be ok. Dont think I have read anywhere that a molt prevents getting them spayed.
The problem would be bring her indoors this time of year (cold outside-warm inside).
Maby for a day or so. Just keep the heating low or off.

a moult has no relivance to a spey :D you would need to bring bunny in for 24 hours after a spey as they cant not hold there temperture stead after a ga after 24 hours providing she is eating well and drinking pooing ect she would be fine to put oback outside!

I have just had my rabbit neutered and have been told by the vet he needs to stay in for two weeks until his stitches out!!!

I am getting concerned now that it is getting too cold to get him back outside.

fluffiebunnie said:
I have just had my rabbit neutered and have been told by the vet he needs to stay in for two weeks until his stitches out!!!

I am getting concerned now that it is getting too cold to get him back outside.

well nows the time to put her ourside before the winter really sets in, put her out in a morning when she can warn in the winter sun and give her a suggle safe for a couple of nights she will be fine!

Thanks for the responses. She's all booked in for the 15th - all being well she'll be looking for a boyfriend before Christmas :)

Back