• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor Rabbit Security

Personally I just have strong bolts on the hutch and good strong hooks attaching the runs and lids etc.

I have seen a fox in our garden, however very infrequently.

As far as vandalism and theft goes I think that's much more difficult. A locked gate into the garden would help and perhaps some motion sensor security lighting for night time, I'm not too sure really? CCTV and a 24 hour security guard (ok that last bits not very helpful). It is difficult to make a garden 100% secure.

Willow_Warren said:
24 hour security guard (ok that last bits not very helpful). I.

I can just imagine the look on my husbands face if I said he had to camp out in the yard at night to guard the rabbits! :lol:

Louise

We've put 2 padlocks on our Shed Door, Our Back gate has been padlocked as well. The run roof is removable, so this is chained down to the run frame in 3 places. We have 2 of them permanently there, and only attached the 3rd when we go out.

Shed is padlocked at night. Back gate is padlocked. Security light and CCTV around the shed area.

Not a lot else can you do? :?

I fitted a hasp and staple to each of the doors to Jacob's hutch, and close each of these with a padlock. There is a security light in the garden and the gate to the garden is padlocked too.

My OH thought it was OTT having padlocks on the hutch, but one of the first notices I read on RR was a 'lost' message from a woman in Hillsborough (not far from me) who had had both of her rabbits stolen from their hutch :cry:

PS. Just looked at the link - that hutch is fantastic! :love:

I noticed when I popped into Greenfields a while back, that besides her spacious sheds, she has had some enormous hutches made, with several layers (can't remember exactly). Might be worth looking on the Greenfields site and see which manufacturer she used. Sorry can't do links.

My back gate is padlocked and a mortice lock. I also have two security lights and a rather large German Shepherd !

You can't get into our garden as there are just fields at the back and are fenced in with prison-type fencing :shock:, I am going to get some padlocks at some point, but tbh It takes me aages in the morning to get into the hutch anyway, and if someone else tried we/Venny would here before they got to the buns :) X

security

My shed is padlocked and my hutch which is two joined together has a padlock on each door, I just have to make sure I remember where i've put the keys, I had to unscrew them all one morning when I mislaid the keys and I wasn't very amused with myself !!!!!

we also have a very protective border collie who has seen off a few foxes in her time !!!

Back