• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How to deal with a pooey bottom and feet??? Please help.

julia.julibob

Warren Scout
After still not being 100%, but much better after his VHD, Harry has done some squishy poos (as usual!!) and got them stuck round his bum and plastered over his back feet :shock:

How am I supposed to get it off without him going bonkers?

Any ideas :?:

Julia

Wet wipes or a damp clothes to get the worst off then once it's dry you can comb and bits left out.

Yep, I second that for wet wipes, they are really easy to use and can just go straight in the bin :D

Cheers guys, never thought of wipes (I am surprised as I use them for most other things! :D ) Also having a 4 year old and a 6 year old, they are always in plentiful supply!

Julia

I would agree with the wet wipes to clean him up, if this is a regular problem for Harry?

We shave them off, by shaving this also keeps the hair short around the area which gets mucky so the poos don't tend to stick so well.

P.S. Don't worry, we don't shave his hocks!!!!

Please tell me, how do you shave them off safely?

Sweep does tend to get his tail mucky. We periodically (sp?) wash it with rabbit shampoo. Quite a fiasco but has to be done.

Wash most of it w/ warm water by holding the bunny, dry the rest w/ towel. Eventually the fur will be matted, cut it w/ elec. razor.

Your bunny doesn't eat any hay, or else this won't happen.

Happy Hopping said:
Wash most of it w/ warm water by holding the bunny, dry the rest w/ towel. Eventually the fur will be matted, cut it w/ elec. razor.

That was quite a bold statement! Harry does eat lots of hay and I am very careful about his pellets. If you had looked at my previous posts, you would see that I am having a problem with him not eating his wet poos, but I didnt think it was relevent to this post.

I was only asking advice on removing poo from his fur.

Julia

julia.julibob said:
Happy Hopping said:

That was quite a bold statement! Harry does eat lots of hay and I am very careful about his pellets. If you had looked at my previous posts, you would see that I am having a problem with him not eating his wet poos, but I didnt think it was relevent to this post.

I was only asking advice on removing poo from his fur.

Julia

Can I ask what pellets you rabbit is on. We have had a number of rabbits in rescue which have been like this on excel, when moved to bunny basics or science selective and only being fed minimal pellets this problem has been resolved.

I've also had a problem even with certain hay - Bunny Basics 2nd cut timothy caused problems for Dusty. So it might be worth trying a few things out with the diet.

On my other thread, about his excess wet poos, it had been suggested that it was the Excel, so yesterday (after 2 exhaustive days searching!!!!) I finally found some, and have started introducing it today.

His bottom and poos have been much worse this week, and when I spoke to the vet yesterday, she said that the worsening was more than likely to be the VHD jab he had on Tuesday!

I just wish I didnt have to wait so long to introduce it, as he really smells, and as soon as I clean him up he stands in some more :shock: :cry:

Julia

Sorry it probably is me being a little thick :oops: but I am a little confused about what you put
On my other thread, about his excess wet poos, it had been suggested that it was the Excel,
then you write
after 2 exhaustive days searching!!!!) I finally found some, and have started introducing it today.
Do you mean you are introducing Excel or are weaning them off Excel? Or do you mean you are weaning them from Excel on to another type food?

If you are weaning onto Excel please don't as this is probably not helping things at the moment.

If you are weaning them off the Excel, the change in dirty bottom won't happen immediatly they are off it, it often takes about another week afterwards for things to improve.

Is your rabbit slightly over weight? If they are then this definately doesn't help them to keep themselves clean .. if this is the case you need to cut down on the pellets, ideally make them work for them usig something like a treat ball so they have to chase about after them. Or give them lots of time out running about, if they live alone and are neutered another thing which improves their mobility is getting them a friend :D

Although it didn't say, I took it to mean she had found some SS and was weaning the bunny off Excel.

When I first got my bunny from Pets@Home he was very ill with his tummy. He had poo all over his back legs and his bottom. He also had poo in his fur around his head (he is a lionhead bunny). :evil:

My vet diagnosed a parasite in his stomach and was put on a/b and special drinks for about 3-4 weeks. He is now ok. Check with your vet regarding parasites/infections please!!

Also I used to fill my bathroom sink with a little lukewarm water and sat him in it. He quite enjoyed it as I feel he felt better. I used a gentle rabbit shampoo to clean his back end. Hope this helps!

Sorry for the confusion I caused! It took me ages to find Science Selective, which I now have, and I am weaning him onto that.

Harry is certainly not overweight, if anything he is probably just right. The last thing I want is an overweight bunny :shock: I weigh his food daily and give him just under the stated amount and make sure that he has lots of hay!

For those of you who dont know, Harry is 16 Weeks old.

Julia

Harry looks a real cutie. Hopefully SS will help improve his problem. I know how it smells so bad when they have that problem. You always seem to find them like it when you are rushing to go to work. Then you end up wondering if you go to work smelling of rabbits!!! yuk.

julia.julibob said:
If you had looked at my previous posts, you would see that I am having a problem with him not eating his wet poos, but I didnt think it was relevent to this post.

sorry I shouldn't have assume like that. And didn't see about your bun not eating his wet poos in the thread neither, I must have skip thru this thread too fast.

I am sure you don't need telling of this, but I have just lost my rabbit to flystrike and don't want anybody else to have the same, so I have to say this: be aware that a smelly rabbit can attract flies, maybe you have doused him in rearguard already, but if not, you could consider it, and also after you have cleaned his bum make sure that he is completely dry, because fly eggs can survive just on damp fur. Even though it is cold outside now there are still flies (somebody in my town got flystrike last Friday), and now (too late for me) I would say that you can't be too paranoid.

Back