• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bundle & Weedie - 1st day together!

Bundle

Mama Doe
Well the new hutch and run arrived so last night I thought it was time to introduce them properly (they've seen each other through wire from Saturday when we got Weedie). So I got the new house ready, loads of hay, loads of new toys, and loads of food so they had lots to look at and play with. Put them in and for the first half hour they totally ignored each other - Bundle was really excited checking everything out, trying out the new toys and binkying around, while Weedie proceeded to stuff his face with all the food! :lol:

Well, once he'd had enough he started to explore too, then Bundle went up to him and nuzzled his ear (awww I thought, sweet!) at which point he promptly flew at her!! :cry: That was it - from sweet little bunny he went into total attack mode - ears flat, tail up so high I didn't know a bunny could possibly get their tail so high! and flying at her like a maniac :cry: Poor Bundle took off with Weedie in hot pursuit, finally she took refuge in one of the litter trays, and he sat there glaring at her, almost looking like he was snarling! She then put her head right down, a very submissive posture, and he finally ambled off and carried on eating.

I was shocked because I thought that as Bundle is much older than Weedie (nearly 3 years old and he's only about 4-5 months old) that she'd be more dominant - how wrong I was! He proceeded to fly at her every time the poor little thing dared to move out of the litter tray. :cry: I was beginning to think I'd have to separate them again overnight, but as they weren't actually getting into tearing and biting each other, everything I've read says you should just leave them to get on with it......

So I sat in the freezing cold garage until 11.30pm last night keeping watch until my hubby finally made me come to bed! When I left them he wasn't attacking her any more, but she was still scared of him and wouldn't go near him. :shock:

This morning, however, things seem to have changed.... My hubby was first downstairs, and as he popped his head round the garage door he said they were sitting together, but sprang apart when they saw him looking! :shock: When I went down a little later to feed them etc., Bundle had first dibs on the food, and she let him share her spring green leaf (even though he'd eaten his one already!). They were both just mooching around, playing with the toys (especially the hay tube from P&H which is a firm favourite with both of them :lol: ) and binkying around, although not really playing together, just seemingly now used to the fact that the other is there.

I'd be interested in anyone's opinions as to whether this is normal (never having bonded buns before) and if you think it sounds like they will bond properly and become friends? Interestingly there was no humping at all - I'm thinking that Weedie was castrated before his hormones kicked in, and Bundle was spayed at 6 months so her hormones should have gone long ago :wink:

Sorry for the long post, but I would love them to become friends and be proper company for each other - does it sound like this will happen?

I think it's normal (only bonded Dougal and Mhairi). This is what happend to me too.
It took time for Dougal to accept Mhairi. Now they are just friends, I dont think they love each other (yet).
Just give them a wee bit space and time, they will get along eventualy.

That's normal :) The arguements in bonding are all about who is boss. Get two bunnies that want to be boss and you get a fight. Once she acknowleged he was boss, the rest was just him making sure she knew it. Once that's all over with and the heirachy's settled they can get on with the business of being friends :D

Tam

Yes I agree with Tam, that all sounds perfectly normal and hopefully they will be firmly in love very soon! Every bun couple has a different type of relationship but within a week or so you should see them settle properly into a lovely friendly routine with each other :D

Yes sounds like normal bunnies! I have been bonding 2 bunnies at work yesterday + today, the first time he tried it on with her, she was shell shocked for about 30 second!! He had a few gos of trying to mount her today + even mounted her face at one point but this afternoon they were sitting together - bless! Will be putting them together again all day tomorrow and fingers crossed they will be fine to stay together overnight. It's so sweet watching bunnies bond, especially when it all goes well!

Norty Weed!!! :no: You be nice to Bundle!

It all sounds fairly normal to me too, I did think Weed would be the underdog too but you never know what way its going to go. Keep with it, they'll get used to one another really quickly and of course if there's no 'real' fighting just let them get on with it.

Cant wait to see pics of the happy couple :D

Back