• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

y amazing OH brings Poppy hamster back from the dead!!!

jay

Mama Doe
Last night I went to check on Poppy my hamster to find her stiff and cold!!! :( I phoned OH at work to deliver the news and he said all the usual stuff - she's old now, had a good life etc etc...

Anyway he came home (after work at 1am I may add), poked her a bit and decided she was just very very deep into her hibernation and not actually dead afterall. So he wrapped her in tissue, popped her back in her cage, brought the cage down from the attic and put the it by a nice warm radiator in the guest room. We woke up to her rattling round at about 5am as if nothing had happened!!!!!

Checked on her this morning and she popped her head out of her sleeping pod, grabbed the grape and nut I was holding out for her - threw the grape back at me :shock: and began chomping on her nut. Was so pleased that my little baby hammy was back!!!

Never had a hamster go so deep into hibernation and recover so fast!!!! She really is a wonder hammy!! And my OH obviously has the knack!!

:shock: I have heard about people burying hamsters that weren't dead, but didn't know if it was an urban myth, obviously not. Good for your OH, Poppy lives to see another day :D

:D:D:D glad she is ok

same kinda thing happened to my sisters gerbil (except she got drunk :shock: - fermented apple - long story) anyway my sister came flying in holding misty who was cold and floppy so i just wrapped her up in my dressing gown and brought her downstairs then she started twitching OMG i nearly died we put her cage under a heat lamp and she was fine :shock: :)

funny little animals aren't they :lol:

You are very lucky she was alright, a lot of hamsters who go into hibernation die. Glad shes okay, maybe move her somewhere warmer if its too cold. :)

She lives in my study in the attic which is usually toasty as I have the radiator on. But we'd had it off all summer and then the night I found her all day it had been a lot colder than usual and I think it may have been the sudden drop that did it. She is back home in the attic again now and seems none the worse for her ordeal!!

Was worried about the bunnies also being too cold so bought them a bunny bed with a fluffy blanket to curl up in and have they used it? No, not once!!

When I was young my parents thought Honey the Hamster was dead so put the cage outside as we were going to bury her the next morning. Next morning I was sure I saw her move-and sure enough she had :)

Glad your OH has the nack and saved your hamster :p

Back