• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Equipment do you use?

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking for some ideas for the Christmas appeal rescues and wondered if anyone has some personal tips for things that they use that might be useful but no the first things you think of.

For example maybe you use something that's not strictly a bunny thing but is very handy like the storage box litter trays - great idea! Or some cleaning tool that gets the difficult corners but is sold for something else.

Or things that would be useful to rescue volunteers but not on a standard shopping list e.g. warm gloves.

So any suggestions? Big, little or really weird things all considered :lol:

Most people prob know it but instead of buying hay racks buy cheap hanging baskets instead?
I use a wallpaper strippr too! :lol:

I use a large screwdriver for the squished poos. In the summer my dad spotted it said it was his favourite and nearly reclaimed it, I told him I used it alot and he asked what for as i always get him round to do my DIY. Couldn't face telling him the truth but he left it :oops:

A Hard Garden Broom!!!

:D :D :D

Cant live with out mine. Our garden is mostly paved and without it the garden would look like a tip. Helps the place clean and more apealing.

and a dustpan and brush and tea towels! and kitchen roll for the really nasty bits i don't want on the tea towels lol

touie said:
and a dustpan and brush and tea towels! and kitchen roll for the really nasty bits i don't want on the tea towels lol

A hard brush! Wilko do a SUPER garden hand brush for £1.49, wooden handle and hard straw brissles. :thumb: :thumb:

m
xx

The most useful thing I have is something RU bought me last year which is made by Hozelock, a black bin bag holder. It is really useful and makes cleaning out so much quicker as I dont keep having to hold open the bag. Certainly something I can recomend to anyone who has lots of hutches to empty out.

I have a nice large blade putty knife which is really good for cleaning ground on poops on the floors of hutches.

A large metal watering can with a small spout which helps fill up the bottles with.

Asupply of extra large cable ties which can be used from mending indoor hutches which have lost their jointers to holding salt licks on to hutch fronts, water bottles onto runs or hutch fronts.

jrn1310 said:
mit said:
Jeremy said:
kayjay said:
Well I use a wallpaper scraper for scraping those trampled down poo's :D
Me too. It does the job perfect :D

Great Idea! :D Me needs to get one of those for the buns next door!

m
xx

Try wilkinsons or Wheelhouse :D

Wheelhouse here i come!

jrn1310 said:
The most useful thing I have is something RU bought me last year which is made by Hozelock, a black bin bag holder. It is really useful and makes cleaning out so much quicker as I dont keep having to hold open the bag. Certainly something I can recomend to anyone who has lots of hutches to empty out.

I have a nice large blade putty knife which is really good for cleaning ground on poops on the floors of hutches.

A large metal watering can with a small spout which helps fill up the bottles with.

Asupply of extra large cable ties which can be used from mending indoor hutches which have lost their jointers to holding salt licks on to hutch fronts, water bottles onto runs or hutch fronts.

You got some real goodens there. Tell me more about this black bin bag holder! Any pics or links?

m
xx

Those push button battery light thingies that you can put up in sheds etc without wiring. I also find all the little odds and ends from sph supplies really useful to have around, stuff like disposable gloves, syringes, virkon, avipro etc.

A selection of dustpans and brushes (I always end up putting them in the bin accidentally). Asda sell a little miniature dustpan and brush which I find really useful for getting into the very far corners of my hutches.

I use hanging baskets for my hay, also use those hanging storage nets (think they are designed for children's toys) for hay ( I hang them from the top of my run and fill them with hay). They love it.

Hooded cat litter boxes to stuff with hay, disposable cloths and/or kitchen roll (I go through a ton of the stuff). Bin bags too!! The list could go on forever!

Gloves, thermal mugs to keep your tea warm whilst out with your bunnies (Nicole gave me that idea a few days ago and it is the best!)

Fiona x

I bought a teapot spout brush (from morrisons or tescos or somewhere) to clean water bottles - was only about 30p and works really well.

:D

also, though they won't be used for another 6months or so, maybe some re-freezable icepacks that freeze quickly in hot weather - remember how worried everyone was in the heatwave? They're all reduced right now too :lol:

Churn brushes they're like dustpan brushes but have really stiff bristles and wooden handles.
Coal shovels small enough to fit in most hutches but strong enough to cope with a rescues requirements.
Hozelock sprayer bottles these survive ages here where all others seem to die.
Balls of strong string for tying rubbish bags up.
Thermal pocket warmers for keeping hands working
Lever arch folders for all that paper work:D
Or even the paper envolope ones
Plastic jugs for measuring feed etc
Weighing scales even the cheap kitchen ones.
Bolts
Hasps and staples
Felt nails
Sterlizing tablets

Agree with the spout brushes and also the savic bottle brushes because these fit through the neck of the crystal water bottles.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. :roll:

AlisonA said:
Those push button battery light thingies that you can put up in sheds etc without wiring. I also find all the little odds and ends from sph supplies really useful to have around, stuff like disposable gloves, syringes, virkon, avipro etc.

Where do you get the battery lights? I need a couple of these

kayjay Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:52 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AlisonA wrote:

Where do you get the battery lights? I need a couple of these

I got a pack a while ago from either Christie's 99p shop or Poundland, pack of 3, little round lights take a couple of batteries and u jst push them in 2 come on, have stickies for the back 2 stick them up. I actually bought them for above my mirroe but bf's stolen them for in the car :roll: :lol:

I always empty all by rubbish from the hutches/litter trays into tubs something like this:

http://www.robinsons-uk.com/products/Productdetail.asp?ProductCode=43219

As then it can just be decanted straight into the recycling bin etc. (we have a gardening recycling bin in addition to a normal bin, so it's great for the rabbit rubbish)

Also use a scoop like this:

http://www.crocus.co.uk/times_onlin...pe=Product_Card&ClassID=200600&CategoryID=208

For getting the megazorb or litter from the large bag into the litter trays. Both of these I "borrow" from my parents as they initially bought them for the garden, and came from garden centres, but are easily avaliable from tack or pet shops.

Also use scourers, dustpan and brushes, brooms, kitched roll and of course now white vinegar for general cleaning!

Pressure washer is good for cleaning the patio, when there isn't a hosepipe ban (but remember to move the rabbits well away)!!

Well that's all I can think of for now!

Back