• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Update on Fergus - 7.11.06 - Really bad news

maxbun

Warren Scout
As many of you know, Fergus is struggling with Myxi at the moment. We are at the vets every 2 or 3 days for an anti inflammatory injection, he is on Ronaxon antibiotics, and has fuciderm ointments and eye drops. Since the lessions around his mouth have scabbed he is having trouble eating pellets, so I'm syringe feeding him twice a day. However, he is still eating carrots, kale, brocolli, grass and 'carrot cruncher' biscuits. He looks really terrible - the lumps around both eyes are enormous, and the one is stopping him from opening his eye as it is on his top eye lid. Some of the lessions have scabbed and the scabs are coming off, leaving really raw patches of skin. The vet has said to put some fuciderm on them.

I just wondered whether anyone has any other advice to speed up his recovery. He is looking really skinny but won't eat softened pellets or porridge which I used to give Max when he wasn't eating well because of his teeth.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated as, at the moment, I can't see an end to this. Every time we go to the vets I think that I will be going home with an empty carrier :cry: . How long can I go on syringe feeding him and do you think it is fair to keep him going? He has had it for nearly 4 weeks now.
Jane

Awww I'm sorry to hear he's suffering so much, poor little man. I have no advice to offer, but I know some members have had survivors of myxi so hopefully they'll be able to give you some better advice.

I would say though that only you know if his suffering is excessive or not - he sounds like he's a fighter as he's still eating bless him. I'm not sure with myxi when it's time to give up as it's not like he's got a malignancy with no prospect of recovery, he does have a chance to recover. On the other hand I wouldn't like to think I was prolonging his suffering. Does your vet have an opinion?

Sending hugs to you and noserubs to Fergus xx

Poor Fergus.

How is his breathing?

I think you are doing really well. I know how tough this is, as I lost a rabbit to myxi in Sept. We battled on until Blossom finally developed a tummy problem and she would not eat at all.

However, fergus is still eating and that is a very good sign. Also, he will have to be at his worse before he starts getting better. Maybe this approaching his worse?

I found it was horrendously tough for me, as well as for Blossom. I was so drained by it all that I actually felt unwell! Is this how you feel now?

All I can say is that Fergus does not appear to have given up in the sense that I felt Blossom had. So there is hope yet. Particularly if he is coping with his breathing, which you have not mentioned?

Thinking of you,
Cara

I don't know anything about treating myxi either - just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you and Fergus, and really hope that this is now the worst and he will start to get better very soon.

Big hugs to you, you must be exhausted xxx

Let him eat as many veggies as he wants and get him some stuff from the garden. Also, have you tried him on half a weetabix? You can either give it to him whole or crush it up for him - this would help maintain his weight - as would Oatabix - you can also get these in bite size packets so could offer him a few a day.
Is he still eating hay? How about feeding him unlimited alfalfa to help with weight gain?
Sending loads of vibes to him - poor little man - xxx

Thanks to you all for your thoughts - you're right, I feel absolutely exhausted, emotionally more than physically. He's not eating much hay but will eat grass, so I'm picking handfulls several times a day for him. He has been having a bit of weetabix, and will try and get some oatabix tomorrow.

His chest is still clear at the moment - his nose is snuffly so I keep 'steaming' him with some Olbas oil in the water, but the vet is hoping this will improve as the swelling around his nose subsides, although he does seem to have some discharge from his nose, hence the change of antibiotics from baytril to ronaxon.

Thanks again - it just makes you feel better knowing there are people out there who understand how you are feeling.

Jane

Hi. I don't have any advice all but to say what a great job you are doing with your bunny. Its so exhausting when they are sick and hope you are managing to get some rest times for yourself too. Please keep us posted on your little bun.

Fiona x

With snuffly buns I also use a vapour rub - I take a little on a cotton bud and pop it up their nostri and then do the same again with the other nostril - I find this very effective and it does help them :D
I have used this method and the olbas oil method for years :D
Which reminds me, must put some vapour rub on my shopping list ..... :lol:

Awww my heart goes out 2 u - I know exactly what ur going through :(, since Harly's been getting Bisolvin Ive found the snufflieness in his nose has eased off a little, maybe ask ur vet for it? It's for breaking down mucus in cows and pigs or sumthing, so he jst gets a pinch disolved in a little water twice a day.

Personally, Ive made an agrrement with my vet tht if Harly becomes so miserable tht he doesnt eat for 24 hours, i will let him go :( however he's still munching, and it seems like fergus is willing 2 as well? But thr's jst certain thigns tht r not comfortable for him 2 eat. To be honest, Honey and harly have had some carrot almost every night, Im jst giving them whatever thy wnt right now. Only u can know whn he's had enough and it's time 2 let him go, but while he still has spirit 2 fight give him the chance 2 do so, ur doin a gr8 job :)

Dear Jane and Fergus,

Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you both. You're doing a fantastic job and Fergus sounds like a real fighter.

I hope with all my heart that Fergus gets better and will start making progress soon. He has come so far and is hanging on to be with his mummy.

He's eating some food which is good. Anybody else got any ideas as to other foods Fergus may be tempted by?

What are you syringe feeding him? Will he eat critical care formula by Oxbow out of a bowl? It's got a really nice smell and is supposed to encouarge poorly buns to eat. Have you tried mushing up some Science Selective pellets with some veggie baby food? Or you could liquidise some veggies yourself and add it to the SS pellets. Will he eat dry oats?
One of my buns won't eat hay as he has teeth probs but he will attempt to eat the Forage excel by burgess as dried grass is softer than hay and it has a nice smell. I wonder whether he would eat that.

Sending all my love to you both and a big hug to you Jane.

Lots of Love,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Thainking of you both,

I syringe fed Holly when she was poorly, banana baby food, I had quite a lot of success with that, although she never had myx.

Sorry - I've not been on for a couple of days - not much change to report. We went back to the vets yesterday for an anti-inflammatory again (I think I'll just have my wages paid direct to the vet next month!), and he said that a lot of the lessions are starting to scab. Anyway, when I got home I gave his face a really good wash with warm water, holding the water over some of the scabs to soften them. About an hour later, I went to see him and there was a great bit piece of what looked like fur with skin attached on the carpet. It was really horrible, and he now has an enormous bald patch on his nose. I'm worrying that if all the scabs come off like this his face and head will be completely bald. Does anyone know whether the fur will grow back? The vet keeps mentioning scarring, but I'm not really sure what he means, and haven't asked in case it seems as though I'm worried about what he will look like.

His eyes are still really nasty, with big swollen lumps around the top and bottom lids, in fact one eye looks really deformed, and the vet is a little worried that if his eyelids don't return to normal he could have a problem with recurrent eye infections. He is also still very swollen around his 'willy', with it being a bit prolapsed at the moment. I just keep putting on the ointment to keep everything moist (what lovely jobs us bunny mummies have to do!). He's still not eating pellets, but is eating all his vegetables and the grass that I am picking for him 3 or 4 times a day. He does look a litttle subdued today - yesterday he actually had a little run around the dining table, but just taking one day at a time. Anyway, will update on Tuesday after our next vet visit.

I still think he is doing really well! It is brill that he is eating - don't worry about the pellets too much.

The scabs are part of the healing process and to be expected by all accounts.

Sophie (who did survive a mild case of myxi some years ago) did end up with a scar on her nose (the only place she was affected) - but that did not matter one jot. She was just as lovely to us.

I would have gladly had blossom here with us rather than loose her to myxi, albeit with scarring.

Most rabbits die rapidly - within a couple of weeks. So the fact that Fergus is hanging on in there is a very good sign.

Wonder how Harley is?

Cara

Does anyone know whether the fur will grow back?

The vet has said 2 me that the scabs will fall off and the fur may or may not grown back. SHe said he may have some nasty scarring so he won't be as bonny, but I jst told her tht didnt matter 1 bit. Fingers crossed for you and willing Fergus 2 fight through. He's doing so so well. I dont have any ointment 2 put on anywhr tho.

Wonder how Harley is?

I'll go update in my own post okie dokie :)

Things aren't looking so good today - Fergus is really off his food and is very listless. Just going to bathe his eyes again for him as this does seem to make him more comfortable, then will go and pick more grass and dandelion leaves to try to tempt him to eat something. If there is no improvement overnight I'll have to see what the vet says tomorrow :( .
Jane

Oh no - I honestly can't say how much I'm willing him 2 pull through, Fergus hanging on gives me hope Harly will 2. Come on little guy!

Back