• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on bonding please

Jonny

Warren Scout
I'm sure this is an oft-asked question here... but is there anything specific I should be doing to encourage bonding when I introduce my two new does to the buck? They'll both be coming home with me at the same time. Is it just a matter of introducing them to their new home (ie the garden shed) together and watching what happens? Are there any precautions I odd to take? I'm a bit worried he may continually try to hump them since he'll only have had the op a few days before.

Thanks...

If the male has been in the shed already you will be better off introducing them in a neutral place, there will be plenty of humping, my boys humped each other!! :roll: . Not sure if a few days will be enough for the male to have got his "hormonal urges" out of his system also if the females have not been spayed then I think you should be careful.

There will be plenty of chasing round and round too but unless they get aggressive then let them continue.

Good luck Jonny and be patient.!!!

Tracey x

All will be coming home at the same time - so it should be neutral territory for everyone. Will have a hutch on standby just in case.

I've got a nightmare scenario in mind that they may be too unsettled to fight when I first introduce them, but I could come down in the morning to a lot of fur and some injured bunnies :(

Maybe it will be best to introduce them during the 1st day while you can stay and keep order :wink: . Then you maybe have to split them over night until they are bonded properly. With my 4 boys I left them overnight on the 3rd night and was confident that they were ready by then.

2 of mine bonded back today (following major fights) and its the best sight to see bonded bunnies together.

Keep at it :thumb:

Let us know how it goes.

Tracey x

If he has only been castrated a few days before is he immediately sterile? I know guinea pigs can still impregnate a female pig and need a minimum of 4 weeks before introducing together, not sure about rabbits though? In any case I would have thought he's need a couple of weeks for hormones to settle down.

If the females are un neutered then you must wait at least 6 weeks before putting them together or you'll end up with more bunnies than planned!
Goiod luck and we'd love pics! :D

Back